Hong Kong and Shanghai

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by LongIslandIceSIP, Feb 21, 2008.

1. LongIslandIceSIP

LongIslandIceSIP 500+ Posts

OK... It's time for me to take my first China trip

If you have 48 hours in Hong Kong, and then 48 hours in Shanghai...

What are some of the must see/must do stuff?

Thanks.

2. LongIslandIceSIP

oh, and it case it makes a difference. I'm a dude, fun-loving, single and 27. So don't suggest a ******* museum. I do like cultural stuff, but not just cultural stuff.

3. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

The area by the Ritz has some cool bars in Shanghai. There was a very fun knock off market that was huge and a lot of fun to walk through to see the **** they copy in almost perfect fashion. Got a great jacket for about $10 there. I heard it got closed down and also heard it opened in a different location. Find out where from your hotel. Any DVD you ever wanted and current $1.

Go see the TV tower. In that area there is some very interesting architecture you won't see anywhere else in the world. That tower is a site in itself.

4. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

Too bad - the Shanghai Museum is probably one of the best I've been to. You'll learn more about China in an afternoon than you've probably known your whole life. Excellent audio commentary in English. A visit to Renmin Square for the scenery and skyline is worth it even if you don't do the museum.

Walk through the incredible neon on Nanjing Lu on the way to the Bund. Say 'no' if anyone offers to sell you drugs or cheap watches. Seriously.

Have dinner at M on the Bund - at least walk around the Bund at night. Walk through the incredible neon on Nanjing Lu.

Get some excellent xialongbao at Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant in the Yuyuan Bazaar. The Old Town is worth a visit.

Stroll around the French Concession.

Check out Xintiandi. Try to remind yourself you're in China (not bad food there, if you aren't adventurous)

Go to the Dongtai Lu Antique Market and get some cool Communist/Mao souvenirs.

Use the Metro. It's cheap, easy, and signage and station announcements are in English.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

FYI, the first picture was taken from the balcony at M on the Bund. At the very least, go up and have a drink at the bar, then wander out to the balcony.

6. kicksumass

kicksumass 100+ Posts

txzen..the second pic looks exactly like the one I took. I had to double check the username to make sure I didn't already respond to this thread.

You can buy some really cheap shoes there. I'm not talking about the ones where you have to go through the back alley, up an attic, have a secret knock to get in, fake shoes. Go to a store that sells local brands. I got pretty nice ones for about $12.

About watches..i was walking down a street there once and a guy comes up to me selling fake rolex watches. I

him: you want rolex? 500yuan for 1.
    me: no, too much. give me for 100.
    him: no, cannot do.
    i walk away.
    him: ok, i give for 100.
    me: no, don't want for 100 anymore
    him: ok, 2 for 100.
    me: no, i don't want it.
    him: ok, 3 for 100.
    me: no, i dont like the design
    him: ok ok, 4 for 100
    me: no, really. i dont want it. i dont like it.
    him: ok..last offer. 5 for 100. very good deal.
    me: no. i just dont want it.
    him: ok..6 for 100.
    me: ok.

sad thing is, i still feel like i got jipped.

7. txzen

txzen 100+ Posts

You had better luck than my friends, who follwed some guy down a rabbit hole of side-streets to buy a fake Rolex.

They end up in some shitehole with some mean looking characters. Left, then right, then left...they went deeper and deeper. Finally, they are led into a room, the door is locked behind them, and the merchandise spread out before them. A big dude with a machete guarded the locked door.

Suddenly, someone is banging at the door. The head guy motions for them to be quiet, and they turn out the lights and wait for the 'police' to leave.

Probably all a ruse, but by this point the were waaay in the back alley with some large mean looking agitated guys. They felt that if they did not buy something, it would not have been well received. One guy bought a $75 Rolex, and they escaped with a great story to tell.

8. Praise of Folly

Praise of Folly 100+ Posts

Have fun. There is some good advice in the posts above. It has been 5 years since I was in China so I don't remember the exact places so well. I would have to look through my journal for better info.

So, I thought I would just post a picture of HK. I didn't go to Shanghai.

Well, I will say that 5 people can eat at a restaurant for $8 -- that included an entree for everyone, 2 sides that we shared, egg rolls, soup, and a pepsi for everyone. It's cheaper than Mexico.

[​IMG]

I can't seem to get the image to post, but it's a cool picture imo.

9. LongIslandIceSIP

thanks for the advice guys! I'm getting excited!!! [​IMG]

10. CalHornGal

CalHornGal 25+ Posts

Okay - its cultural, but its cool. In Hong Kong go check out the Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island. The whole place is beautiful, but the main attraction is the Tian Tan Buddha (worlds largest outdoor seated bronze buddha) - 34 meters tall and seated on top of a plateau with incredible views in all 4 directions. As for "less cultural" sites - for pubs and bars, we definitely preferred the Wan Chai area over the more touristy Lan Kwai Fong. Have fun!