Hoover's Cooking

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by HornBud, Nov 10, 2008.

1. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

Forgot how good that CFS is. I mean, like Holy ******* **** it's good!!

[​IMG]

2. Ramathorn

Ramathorn 1,000+ Posts

Never had it. But I think Threadgill's cfs sux.

3. RichUT

RichUT 250+ Posts

To mention Threadgill's cfs in the same thread as Hoover's cfs is a serious insult to Hoover's.

Hoover's is in a whole different class.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Hoover's: CHICKEN FRIED STEAK

Others: Chicken Fried Steak

5. Utkclack15

Utkclack15 100+ Posts

CFC with two sides of mashed p's. The ultimate heart attack meal.

6. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Don't forget the extra gravy to make sure it is all smothered.

7. jbentley0813

jbentley0813 100+ Posts

I had the CFC with macaroni and fried okra at Hoover's last night. Good times.

8. HornBud

HornBud 2,500+ Posts

Hoover's CFS requires no knife. Threadgills has been contacted by the Ginsu Co to be featured on infomercials. 'nuf said.

9. hook1997

hook1997 25+ Posts

Ill have to check it out, never been to Hoover's but moving across the street next week.

10. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Not the only thing worth trying at Hoover's, either. All kinds of good stuff. Only thing is, there is so much food you can't eat half of it.

11. J.R.69

J.R.69 250+ Posts

Never been there. Sounds good though. Where, exactly, is it?

12. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

It's across the street from where hook lives!

There are two that I know of. One up on 183 somewhere and the original one is on Manor Rd, just East of I-35, north side of the street.

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

We go to the one up north now....and it is damned good and never crowded. Probably a bad thing for them but a great thing for the patrons. staff is always friendly. They also have great happy hour special with half off appetizers. Those will fill you up right there.

14. Skipper

Skipper 100+ Posts

Try that smoked chicken. Best chicken I've had in a long, long time. I usually just get a veggie plate and just barely able to finish it all.

15. Utkclack15

Utkclack15 100+ Posts

I'm about to cry right now not being able to go to Hoovers since I have been on my diet.

16. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

What, there's one up north now? Where is it?
    The meatloaf is excellent, and they smoke some BBQ that's quite edible (maybe they just do chicken, can't remember). Good veggies, but one of them is enough for a whole meal, and you get two or three with each main course.
    The original is on Manor Road just east of IH-35, across the street from East Side Cafe.

17. Skipper

Skipper 100+ Posts

18. SunBurntOrange

SunBurntOrange 500+ Posts

Hoovers is greatness. It is the only place that I have ever found, other than mine and my granny's kitchen, that makes grits that are worth eating, Its not that difficult, yet no one can ever seem to get it right.

19. RayDog

RayDog 500+ Posts

20. Wishbonemac

Wishbonemac 250+ Posts

I drink the Jalapeno creamed spinach like it was iced tea.

Had a piece of banana-pudding cheesecake there not too long ago.

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Did you take it home with you and have it there or did you just use discipline and box your food half way through so you would have room in your dessert stomach? I would love to try the desserts there but when it comes to that time of the meal I am way too full.

22. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

I love hoovers, but I was kinda disappointed with the mac and cheese. Not enough cheese, but the elgin sausage was great. And there's something in the Big Red there makes it taste even better, maybe it's the difference in fountain/bottled.