HornFans for Longhorn Servicemen Overseas

Discussion in 'Prayer Requests' started by LonghornGirlie, Aug 20, 2002.

1. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

Tom, I'm actually already working on this too. I have an email in to the guy, but haven't heard back from him. I'll try him again.

The Longhorn Sports Network has already donated a free Season Ticket (videos of all of the games) that they are going to send to them. I'm putting together a "care package" of Longhorn goodies, flags and koozies and stuff to send to them. If you email him, ask him whether they want VHS or DVD on the videos and what address to send stuff to.

Let's use this thread to show the guys our support!

2. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

You got it LHG. Just got in on this yesterday. WAY COOL to see I'm behind the power curve it. Snail Mail's comin as fast as I can get it. Email's hot and goin out NOW!

m/

3. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We may have to throw in an "f the haters" shirt too.

4. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

I would second the "f that haters" shirt.

This is a great idea.

5. Gerard Senegal

Gerard Senegal < 25 Posts

Our Defense Field Activity has 4 LH and 3 Ags. The ags dont talk much to each other and even distrust oneanother. The LH have a good ol boy netz and go to the Thirsty Thursdays when not working late. None of the ags watched their bowl game--could they all be 2 pissanters?

6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Thank you and Cecil for serving our country NebLHAB. Be safe and Godspeed.

7. TexasUFO

TexasUFO 25+ Posts

Just in case this did not get to Cecil. Hook'em Horns from Humble, Texas! I read information on the hornfans website that you and a number of other incredible Longhorns are serving our country in the posh resort of Kandahar. My heart and those of all other Horns swell with pride knowing that all of you stand guard so that we can enjoy the freedom to attend the Texas vs M&A game this year and witness the Aggies getting kicked all over Darrell Royal Memorial Stadium! Thank all of you for your sacrifice, the Aggies will be sacrificed in November!
    On a serious note, University of Texas alumni everywhere, and all Americans, are proud of each and every one of you for your contribution to our country. School rivals are fun, but what really counts is that we are all God's Children and Americans. My wife and I graduated from UT in the 70's. Our son is about to start his second year on the 40 acres and is enjoying that freedom because of the price that you and all of those in our armed forces are paying. Thank you. The business that all of you are about is serious and Americans back home certainly understand that. Our military is a topic of conversation everywhere I go. Your Aggie friends should be proud of their spirit, Horns should be equally be proud of theirs, but the American Spirit of bravery and sacrifice for our country is not limited by the school one attends.

Take care of each other and come home safe.....All of us are cheering for all of you even though you can't hear us. You are the real heros, don't think we don't know it. God speed to Longhorns and Aggies alike, and to all of those who love and defend freedom.

Hook'em

P.S. I don't know if you can receive things. If you can, send me your address, the particulars, and what is on your wish list, and I'll take care of it.

8. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

8/21/02 Kandahar Update
    Short version: Cecil can't log onto Hornfans but CAN recieve Email so add him to your address list "StricklandC@KAF.CJTF180.ARMY.MIL". Until his access improves(unlikely), I offer to post his replies under "xx/xx/xx Kandahar Update"
    Tried to get on the HornsFan site, but the internet's pipeline is about the size of a coffee stir-stick trying to funnel the pacific ocean...net result = no such luck. We're discouraged (though, not banned) from using the internet because of the andwidth issue. Email is not a problem, though. Well, not really. I can receive email just fine, but sending is sporadic. So, if you could let everyone know that if they don't get a response to
    their emails, it's not because I didn't send one. Personnaly, I think the issue is with our ad hoc exchange server. But, hey...I can't complain. If you'd told me twelve years ago when I was enlisted that I'd be in a combat zone with air conditioned tents, computers and the internet, I'd have asked
    you if you were smoking crack. (oops...soap box...) Anyway...

I wanted to thank you and all of the other Longhorns for your rapid response and support. I recieved 5 emails within a couple of hours of emailing you.

WOW!!! I wanted to log onto the website to personnaly thank everyone for their support. It honestly makes me proud to be associated with such supportive people. Anything sent to me will be shared between us Longhorns. Hopefully, our
    numbers grow.

My address is
    Cecil Strickland
    TF 3-505 PIR
    APO, AE 09355

Thank you all VERY MUCH!!! Beat North Texas!
    Cecil

9. domedriver

domedriver < 25 Posts

This was his reply to me, can we do the DVD thing for him?

Not sure if this will make it out, or not...sending email out is spotty. Reveiving email is fine, but sending is another story.

Wanted to thank each of you. I was very impressed, and joyed, by the timeliness and amount of responses to my email with Tom Richey. Thank you very much!!!!

I appreciate your support, though, whether you send anything, or not. You can be assured anything that IS sent to me will be shared with the other Longhorns...especially any games. Not trying to be picky, but VHS tapes are starting to suffer from the same problems floppy disks are. The heat and dust are killing them before they can be used. We've had to start using CD-RW and DVD for almost everything. If games ARE copied and sent, I'd appreciate the word got out for DVD.

My address is

Cecil Strickland
    TF 3-505 PIR
    APO, AE 09355

Again, thank you for your support of our Longhorns and our soldiers.
    Cecil

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2002 11:17 PM
    To: StricklandC@KAF.CJTF180.ARMY.MIL
    Subject: God Bless you and Hook'em Horns

I am class of '84 and truly am thankful for the work that you and your fellow soldiers do. If there is anything I can do for you please ask. I will tape games and mail them, etc.

Thanks and respect!
    James Crump

10. LonghornGirlie

James, that is really generous of you to offer to tape the games. The Longhorn Sports Network has already arranged to donate the full season on DVD to these guys. They'll be getting the games sent out immediately after the game is over so they can watch the Longhorns kick *** along with the rest of us this season.

11. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

Now that we have Cecil settled on the DVD solution, a few of us need to sign up w Longhorn Sports Net for the DVD Season Ticket so they can make back their costs for donating to our troops in Afganistan. Sorta support the business supporting our troops.

OK, that's my EXCUSE... Any others who want to piggy back on my excuse, feel free. Now I need to polish this up so I can use it at home... Any suggestions LHG?

m/

12. LonghornGirlie

I know your wife. You won't have to spruce up an argument very much at all. She's probably already ordered the thing.

13. SUaggie

SUaggie < 25 Posts

double post

14. SUaggie

SUaggie < 25 Posts

15. LonghornGirlie

Whatever. [​IMG]

Then send your guys the games and some flags and stuff. Once again, an Aggie misses the entire point. What a surprise.

16. FirstTier

FirstTier < 25 Posts

LHG,
    Maybe you should delete suAggie's post and mine to keep this thread from becoming yet another pissing contest. Pretty poor form suAggie. How does number of commissions = support for soldiers?

some smack I sent along for Cecil (thought I'd post it so his factual info doesn't get too redundant)...
    Hey Cecil,
    Saw your post on Hornfans, and I must say our boys in the field certainly have many comforts of home. See if some point in your career you can transfer to "Bondsteel" (largest base in Europe) in Kosovo. They have EVERYTHING here, including a Burger King and Wal-mart like PX. I'm not a soldier but working for the UN in the capital of Kosovo, also graduated in 99'.

I'm putting together a collection of Aggie smackdown for UT grads everywhere. Since you can't look at different web sites I've attached copies of the sites. I don't know if you're familiar with the BBC news but it's pretty much THE standard in international news. Any pommes you meet will back that up. Here is a little of what the BBC thinks about Texas A&M (the rest is attached along with link).

-------------

" If Texas can be described as “big” and “freaky”, then in the greatest concentration of “big freakiness” exists at Texas A&M University, in College Station, Texas. Located halfway between Houston and Waco, Texas A&M is the fourth largest university in the United States boasting approximately 45,000 students. It is most well known for its cult-like conservative following and its eccentric traditions.”(attached as BBC on A&M.doc)
    --------------------------------------------------

Were these guys in the Corps at A&M? Do you remember the allegations of sexual assault on Corps freshman while we were at UT? Ask these guys that outrank you if they too had to "suck cock" to become a Corps member. Wait, maybe that's not a good idea, you could forward this but they may think you're coming on to them.

---------------------------------------------------

11/19/1998

A&M Corps member accuses fellow cadet of sexual assualt Freshman alleges sophomore forced oral sex in dorm room

Ashley Kosiewicz Daily Texan Staff

A male freshman member of the Corps of Cadets at Texas A&M University filed a sexual assault complaint against another male cadet last week.

According to the the Texas A&M University Police Department, the freshman cadet, whose name was not released, alleged that on Nov. 7 a sophomore cadet entered his dorm room, knocked him down to the floor and forcibly performed oral sex on him.

The police also declined to release the sophomore's name.

The sophomore cadet was questioned by A&M police last Friday, during which he denied the allegations, said Bob Wiatt, director of the police department.

The freshman filed the complaint with police Nov. 11, but subsequently decided not to press criminal charges, Wiatt said.

The sophomore has been cleared of all criminal charges, but the University has decided to investigate to see if there has been a violation of University Student Rules, which spell out guidelines for student behavior, Wiatt said.

The sophomore has been removed from his dorm and suspended from the Corps until the matter is resolved, said Brian Hager, commanding officer of the two students' Corps division.

Hager said alcohol may have been involved in the alleged incident. The sophomore may have had "a few drinks" during the Texas A&M-Oklahoma football game on Nov. 7, the day the sexual assault allegedly occurred, he said.

Hager added that people should not pass judgment until the matter is resolved.

"It's all an allegation. You can't say something is true if it's just an allegation," he said.

If the University determines a violation might have occurred, a hearing would be held where officials from the Department of Student Life and the Corps of Cadets would interview the two students and any possible witnesses.

If found guilty of a violation, the sophomore could face punishment ranging from a reprimand to expulsion from school, Wiatt said.

The 2,100-member Corps of Cadets is one of the oldest and largest student organizations at A&M, having recruited 800 new freshmen this year.

Will Shrank, recruiting coordinator for the Corps, is confident that the alleged incident was isolated and will not adversely effect enrollment.

"It's an unfortunate incident but it's just one incident," Shrank said. "I don't expect it to change students' decisions to join the Corps." (No, it should only encourage the latent CS closet homosexual)

---------------------------------------------------

No doubt the "humping it" tradition was probably born within the Corps of Cadets. (Humping It: Position taken by an Aggie when giving a yell. To do this, put your hands on your knees and bend forward at the waist. as seen on official website)
    Obviously, there is a reason for this kind of behavior and Maxim magazine just shed a little light on the subject. In Maxim's latest college ranking…

------------------

"23. TEXAS A&M
    "...fans may not be doing a lot of kissing in the stands, but if you’ve glimpsed College Station’s female populace, you know that’s no jagged " (attached full ranking Mack gets ripped)

Incidentally, Playboy ranked Texas #1 for having the hottest women in the nation.

The Link
    10. University of Georgia
    9. East Carolina
    8. University of Colorado
    7. University of Alabama
    6. Florida State
    5. University of Arizona
    4. University of Florida
    3. UCLA
    2. Arizona State
    1. University of Texas
    (will attach some masturbatory material, I’m sure you need it out there. It’s a photo of the Texas playboy entry.)

The Ags may spout off about A&M making the first tier universities in USN&WR for the first time. The only thing that got them into the first tier is the fact that in USN&WR they factor in alumni giving percentage into the equation. A&M’s is obviously very high due to the fish camp brainwashing they receive, part of the CULTure. Academically, A&M is in a class with Tulane while UT is in a class with North Carolina and Vanderbilt.

USN&WR

The Link

Academic Reputation Scores
    Stanford 4.9
    North Carolina 4.2
    Vanderbilt 4.1
    Texas 4.1
    Notre Dame 3.9
    Texas A&M 3.6
    Tulane 3.5

Remind them THE flagship University is THE University. This is why Texas gets 2/3’s of the PUF (state funds) and A&M only 1/3 (of course you know all this).

Aggies were also recently rated by the Princeton Review as having some of the most unhappy students.

Here is a classic quote from the article.

The Link

“The first thing I will admit about A&M is that it is very conservative. While most of the students are open-minded about the differences between us, there is a small yet visible group of students who are very close-minded. The one flaw I can point out about A&M is that people of minorities—whether a religious minority, a racial minority, or a minority based on sexual orientation—are not necessarily encouraged to come here by what they see. . . . Honestly, we are a school of white, heterosexual, Christian students.”

The Link

Did you hear about the latest A&M PR embarrassment? They “accidentally” called A&M classless clowns in their media guide. Hence, tell them to stop giving you such a hard time and to focuson their REAL rival T TECH. A&M is 2 and 5 against Tech in the last seven years… pathetic. Here’s what Jim Rome had to say about the snafu. -----------------
    The Link

As you know, media guides are pretty worthless in nature. It’s the collection of garbage, so-called sports information that is pumped out by organizations and universities every year. The S.I.D. (Sports Information Director) rolls together a bunch of facts, figures and other unimportant minutia and puts a front and back cover on it. If you’re not closely associated to the player or team (i.e. family) it has no value whatsoever. Well, not until now.

The Texas A&M Media Guide has all the requisite stuff about the school, the players, the overall history of the program, et al. But it also has something that no other guide has. It has it’s own Smack Down section for a rival school.

In the A&M guide, a piece from an Aggies alumni magazine was reprinted which slammed rival school Texas Tech. You might remember that Tech beat A&M last year in football and the A&M fans are still more than slightly bent.

It called the Tech fans “Classless Clowns”. How about that for still being bitter, almost a year later. Not only that, said the fans were ‘even uglier than a barren stretch of dirt some West Texans call a city”. That’s not too personal.

You lose one game to these guys and this is where it goes? What happens if there is a losing streak and Tech runs off like 5 in a row? What then? Do you go to the “Bobby Knight” card? Ooops, too late. They did that too.

The guide went on to say that “No school in America better deserves Bobby Knight than Texas Tech”. Classic. Not that it matters that Tech went to the Basketball NCAA’s and A&M didn’t, but it’s great smack nonetheless.

I have to admit, I’ll be rooting for Tech to extend the streak over A&M. It could only lead to more great smack.
    --------------------

The dumbasses then spent 50,000 to put stickers on the pages with the offensive language.

Don’t forget A$M was established as a branch of UT. The Constitution of 1876 provided for the establishment of the University of Texas and made Texas A&M, which had been founded by the legislature in 1871, a branch of it.
    ------------------

attached a few more articles (for a thread around T+1) which equates A$M's glory years on the football field to cheating. From the NCAA database...
    -----------
    As a result of the findings of major violations of NCAA rules in this case, Texas A&M has become one of three universities to receive seven public penalties
    imposed for such violations since 1952.
    --------------

more to come.

Hook'em and stay safe!

Lured by the prospect of gaining converts at Texas A&M University, a church group that's been branded a cult by critics and banned from college campuses around the nation is planning to set up a church in the Bryan-College Station area.

"We want to get down there as soon as we can," said Randy Moon, an evangelist with the Dallas-Fort Worth Church of Christ Jesus, an affiliate of the International Church of Christ.

17. SUaggie

SUaggie < 25 Posts

Uhhhhh....

This post started as a good hearted attempt to show support for UT troops overseas. However, a comparsion concerning the support levels A&M and UT have for 'thier troops" was made.

I responded, representing an A&M voice, to simply explain how there is a large difference between the universities, military-wise, that I was not sure most longhorns were aware of.

Your response seems to be a collection of 'material' which leads me to believe you are on some crusade to condemn Aggies everywhere on every level not only as soldiers but as human beings.

Our posts have no similarities and I truly feel sorry for all the hate that has built up in you.

Seriously, repeat after me....

"I'm alright, your alright, were all Gods children." [​IMG]

I think that if you said that every morning after you woke up you would find yourself a happier person in the long run. You might even find that your "collection" does not have the deeper meaning you thought it did.

Personally I think Aggies are no better or worse than anyone else on earth, including Longhorns. We are what we are.

I am proud of all Longhorn soldiers overseas and wish them and their's the very best. I'm sorry if I have hurt anyone's feelings in leading them to believe otherwise but if my post is read carefully, and not judged by my handle, I think most people can understand my true intention.

Gig'em
    &
    Semper Fi

18. UT94BBA

UT94BBA < 25 Posts

I'd just like to tell everyone that the head honcho over there, Tommy Franks, is a graduate of The University of Texas.

19. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

Just got another email address from Cecil. Looks like David Zinnante is their Chief Surgeon. Pls add David to your address list, if ya would.

Zinnante, David [ZinnanteD@KAF.CJTF180.ARMY.MIL]

I started to cutting, pasting & emailing practice reports and any internet stories that I'd want to see if I was in their shoes.

Da@#, STILL 9 days till kickoff!

m/

20. SUaggie

SUaggie < 25 Posts

Actually.....
    Tommy Franks is not 'over there,' he is stationed at MacDill airforce base in Tampa, Florida. But yes, he is the CINC of Centcom and in charge of that area.

21. FirstTier

FirstTier < 25 Posts

RE: Your Aggie smackdown resource center
    WOW, you do your homework...thanks for the ammo. Oh, and thanks for the attachments, too. I've been looking at BDU's for so long, I'd almost forgotten how beautiful Texas Women were...not completely, but almost :) Talking with you guys is almost bad for me...the more I think about UT, the more I miss it and Austin.

Thanks for the flashbacks...

Cecil
    ---------------------------------------------

su,
    Don't confuse hatred with "sip arrogance". For the most part my email was a collection of articles (granted I may have interjected a few disparaging words like "dumbass" and cock-suckers). Currently I'm in the British sector, but I have run into a few KFOR guys at Bondsteel who went to big twelve schools and should be catching some games with them. Only ran into one Aggie and one of the first things out of his mouth was "tu huh". Not even the Okies I've met have an immediate negative reaction like this.

I love how you address "commissions = support for soldiers" with

22. Areuponyou

Areuponyou Guest

I just wrote Cecil and got a response from him. Here is the email.

What I wrote:

Hi Cecil,

I just ran across your address from hornfans and just wanted to thank you and the rest of the military, THANK YOU FOR KEEPING AMERICA THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH! This season is going to be special, but this season couldn't be if it were not for people like you. Godspeed and please hurry home.

His response:

Appreciate the Support! When you have that moment of silence before each game, remember us and those that have gone before us.

Thanks, God bless and Hook 'em
    Cecil

Lets please all remeber and honor Cecil's request.

23. LonghornGirlie

Cecil and Company are about to get a great surprise in their "Longhorn Care Package". In addition to the media guides donated by the Athletics Department, last night, Coach Brown signed a flag for me. When I told him what it was for, he signed it:

Thanks for keeping us safe! You are the BEST! Hook 'em, Mack Brown

24. hornFANtastic

hornFANtastic 100+ Posts

25. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

This thread could use a little more descriptive title.

26. LonghornGirlie

More icing on the cake...

Major Applewhite signed the flag this afternoon: "God Bless you guys! We appreciate all that you do! Major Applewhite #11"

Plus Longhorn Sports Network threw in the first Big XII Championship game to tide the guys over until they get the first real game on DVD. A CD with the Eyes of Texas and Texas Fight, plus some stickers, balloons, koozies and other goodies round out the "Longhorn Care Package" on the way to Cecil and his buddies.

27. 86Horn

86Horn 25+ Posts

su:

I get very tired of Aggies assuming they are more patriotic or supportive of the miliary than others. I suspect most 'horns do as well.

That is why your post struck a nerve. It comes across as suggesting greater patriotism by aTm grads than by others.

The conclusion is not supported by the premise. And it is insulting to all those non-aTm people who served in our armed forces. For example, my father served on McArthur's staff in WW2, and was in Luzon during the fighting. He watched the Japanese planes dropping bombs on the Phillipenes, etc.

For anyone to assume that he/she is somehow more "worthy" of respect than my father because he/she went to aTm angers me.

28. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

That's allsome, Katie.

29. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

This is turning into more fun than "fill in the blank"! Nice combination of fun support and serious given the circumstances under which we started the thread. I just arrived in Seguin for a wedding so I'll be out of the loop til Monday. Let's everyone keep emailing the Cecil and David so there's no lull until all those treasures get over there.

AWSUM job LHG and super THANK YOU to Coach Brown & staff for coming through! No surprise from you of that office, tho...

Beat the Hell outta whoever's NEXT! Oh, but there's only 8 days till kickoff! HooHoo!

m/

30. orange avenger

orange avenger 25+ Posts

Aggies are famous for operating beyond their artillery fan, witnessed. They might produce a lot of commissioned officers, but in my experience those officers have a comic book approach to soldiering, an attitude easy to understand when you look at the environment of shiny helmet liners, ceremonial sabers, and ******** decoration that characterizes the faux military culture at their school. They have an extremely romantic notion of an extremely dangerous profession. I personally know of one pogue that killed a lot of decent guys to get a CIB, and it still makes me sick to think about it.