Hornfans sighted eating CROW...

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by caryhorn, Dec 15, 2021.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

At Scholz Garten Wednesday evening a number of Hornfans were seen slicing and grilling and then eating an equal number of crows. When asked why they were eating the ugly meat, they mumbled something to the effect, "Well...we had given up on Sark's recruiting class after the loss to Okie State, and well...we predicted recruits would be jumping ship...and well..." His voice trailed off as a hunk of bleeding crow was shoved down his gaping throat.

Turns out Sark signed a top five class and even got some blond top rated QB from DFW to leave OSU and come home to Texas.

Rumor has it that Texas may get a few more top players in January and/or the portal.

Word is that eating crow is not that unusual for Hornfans, as these Orange Bloods are known to post fast and loose after both losses and wins.

And by the way, next season cannot get here fast enough. :beertoast:

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  2. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

We've seen the job our coaching staff did last fall with what they had to work with. I wasn't impressed. I ate dinner tonight but it wasn't crow :beertoast:

ETA... a&m out-recruited us. That doesn't gruntle me. I know they'll choke, but most of those top recruits should be heading to The 40. They didn't for a reason & that concerns me

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  3. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Ì am convinced that A&M is firmly committed to putting a better product on the field by putting up large money for players more quickly. They got the jump.
    So yes its not wrong to say they out recruited texas but it was not done by the traditional way.
    But kudos to them for forward thinking and being committed. But we better not lag behind with those $$$

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I know that we like to pick on the Aggies for finishing with 8- 4 records but that is better than what we are doing. So how can we talk smack?
    Now they are turning the corner to being king of the hill like Alabama. They have already beat them. That's right. Pieces are in place for them. Once Weigman gets settled in they will be a force and especially if they get Stewart. They may get to the national championship game before we do.
    Thankfully we got Murphy but we need another playmaker. Who ever gets Stewart will have an advantage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

We have.no business talking smack. That we're going to automatically go back to being "big brother" is for the terminally stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

No doubt it's done in the Aggie way I'm sure and at some point will begin to cause distention in the locker room with "haves" and "have nots". Let's hope that our perceived lagging is because we are trying to get all players a slice of the pie ala Pancake Factory type deals.

7. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

That could cause them to stink!

8. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Well...those of us that are short of hair and long of tooth have seen this before. Most of it was just under the table or concealed in a FedEx envelope. Aggy always finds a way to aggy things up, no matter how good their fortunes appear to be. It's just what aggy does.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  9. NM fan

NM fan 25+ Posts

Call me a homer drinking cool aid fool, but I couldn’t disagree with you more. First year coach with entitled players, yet we could have won more games if it wasn’t for lack of depth and buy in to the staff. If you would have told me that after winning only 5 games, we would reel in the 5th rated class filled with (as Sark put it), large humans, I personally would have called 911. Yes, A&M had a great recruiting haul. All power to them. What Sark and the coaching staff put together was built for depth and future success. The players that decided to stay, are bought in to the process. Next year may not be a good time to assess the success of the staff, but I feel like building the team from the trenches and adding depth will lead us to we’re we need to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

^^^"Aggie out recruited us." Come on for Pete's sake. Really?
    We are in the top five. Getting in the top four is a major accomplishment. Difference between 4 and 2 or 1 is not much if any, depending how the portal goes.

Especially since Texas has had four head coaches in less than 10 ten years. Four new systems on both sides of the ball. Four new styles of recruiting and getting to know Texas high school coaches and making relationships with them and the players.

Horn2RunAgain: "I ate dinner tonight but it wasn't crow." So you predicted that after a disappointing 5-7 season Sark would reel in the # four class in the country??? Really?? Nice to meet you, Nostradamus.

Atm has years now of playing against and recruiting to the SEC. This has been a banner year for them having beaten Bama. They deserve credit.
    We are on the cusp of getting back to a winning tradition and playing at the top level. This staff and this recruiting class is a MAJOR upgrade from TH and CS. No one would have predicted top four recruiting class a week ago.

Even better if Gary Patterson is hired as a defensive guru.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I would say the only ones eating crow are the wanna be longhorns. I have been a fan for 50+years. Some good some not but still a fan. Alabama had some very lean years before saban and will have them when he is gone. atm has sucked for a hundred years. They had some good teams with Jackie Sherril and RC but not world beaters. They have had some very impressive defensive classes over the last 5-6 years and still were mediocre. Their fans love them which is how its supposed to be. Texas got woke after Mack Brown and stupid after charlie. I hope we are heading in a different direction. As I have posted before on this board, we were in the top 30 for offense numbers this year. Defense was around 120. With even a modest defense and we add at least 3 more wins. PK is on the hot seat but we got a stellar dline and db class here. LB is still a concern. So the bottom line is the only ones eating crow deserve it because they are band wagon fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Some are calling this the best offensive Line class in the Country and it could get batter. The fact that 4 other teams have higher rated" classes is not in and of itself a cause for alarm. Ewers, arguably the biggest addition isn't even counted in the ranking. Texas still needs to finish strong, and I suspect we will, God help us we need help on defense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. LonghornDave

Any word on Patterson?

14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

No. I live in Fort Worth and am keeping my ears open. So far, nothing. Very quiet. Rumors here and there but nothing substantive that I've heard.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornDave

Careworn

Keep us in the loop. For my part I'll light a candle after mass.

16. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Absolute Gold!
    Needs to be in a locked HOF heading!

• Like Like x 1
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Homm I do hear you, But I also put very little into the rankings whatever you’re talking the top 10. So please understand I’m not disagreeing with you but who’s to know right now if the number three signed class is better than a number one?

And in two or three years we will find out.. maybe the 10th best class turned out to be better than the number one. My point is once you get a solid class like Texas d”has- I don’t put a lot of faith in if this class ranking.
    Last point if you put Ewers in, Essentially this would be his freshman year, I’m sure that Texas would outrank the Aggies on the hypothetical rivals or ESPN rankings

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Horn2RunAgain

Only an Orangeblood for 50 years? I have ya beat :beertoast:

After the truly awful job of coaching I've seen from this staff, my hopes are not high. We're all entitled to our opinion. I had the same feeling after year 2 of Charlie as I do now. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen the movie before

AS for ag fans, the past few years have diminished the "their fans love them" thingy. It's a different place from when I was young, and their "fans" can get grumpy. Texags isn't the only place you'll hear constant grumbling

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Horn2RunAgain

I >LOVE < what's going on with OL recruiting. 10 yrs too late but this is a great year for us at the most crucial position

Can our coaches coach them up? Is coach K still around in August? Will they portal with their 50k in hand and we tank again? Those first two, I'm really concerned about

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Good questions
    I certainly hope they cant take the whole NIL amount and go to another school. Thats just not right. I know the NIL money is separate from the university but the money needs to be relinquished if they move on otherwise players will switch each year to get better money because different schools will make better NIL offers.
    There needs to be regulations.
    Who wants to watch a particular 5 star team in every position win a championship every year? Alabama approaches that and it sucks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. TheHornSupremacy

TheHornSupremacy < 25 Posts

A pedigree below that in this observer's opinion deserves patience enough to recruit and develop his own players for at least 2-3 years.......which I certainly prefer as an alternative to acquiescing to petulant know-it-all internet coaches by shuffling the coaching deck yet again.
    (also being reported that he is speaking with Patterson today as a possible staff addition)

The 2020 season will be Pete Kwiatkowski's seventh in Seattle, With Jimmy Lake having taken over as head coach following the 2019 season, Kwiatkowksi returns to his role as the Huskies' defensive coordinator in 2020.

Kwiatkowski joined UW staff shortly after Coach Chris Petersen came to Seattle before the 2014 season, and has helped build the Pac-12's strongest and most consistent defense in his six seasons.

And, in shaping that defense, Kwiatkowksi has proven to be an outstanding developer of talent, turning out NFL players year after year. During his time as defensive coordinator and co-defensive coordinator at Washington, a total of 17 members of the Husky defense have been drafted by NFL teams, with several more signing as free agents. After his first season in Seattle, Kwiatkowksi saw four members of his defense selected in the first 44 picks of the 2015 NFL Draft: first-rounders Danny Shelton, Marcus Peters and Shaq Thompson, and second-rounder Hau'oli Kikaha. The following year, outside linebacker Travis Feeney was selected by the Steelers.

In 2017, another defensive players were taken in the first two rounds: Kevin King, Budda Baker and Sidney Jones. In 2018, defensive tackle Vita Vea was a first-round pick, while linebackers Azeem Victor and Keishawn Bierra were also drafted. In 2019, five more Husky defenders were selected in the NFL Draft: second-rounders Byron Murphy and Taylor Rapp, along with d-lineman Greg Gaines, linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven and corner Jordan Miller.

In 2019, serving his second year in the role of co-defensive coordinator and outside linebackers coach, Kwiatkowksi helped oversee a young Husky defense that limited opponents to just 19.4 points per game. Both of his two starting outside 'backers – Joe Tryon and Ryan Bowman – earned second-team All-Pac-12.

In 2018, Kwiatkowski helped mentor a Husky defense that continued its reign atop the Pac-12 Conference as the Dawgs led the league in both scoring defense (15.5 points per game) and total defense (301.8 yards per game) for the fourth year in a row. The Huskies, who won a Pac-12 title for the second team in three years, also finished second in the conference in rushing defense, pass defense (yards) and pass efficiency defense.

In 2017, under the co-direction of Kwiatkowski, the Huskies were the best in the Pac-12 in both total defense (eighth nationally) and scoring defense (fifth nationally). They also led the Pac-12 in rushing defense (fourth nationally) and were third in the conference in passing defense (32nd nationally), but led the nation in fewest yards allowed per completion (9.42). He also orchestrated a defense that allowed 16.1 points and 298 yards per game. It marked the first time the Huskies’ had allowed under 300 total yards in back-to-back years since 1990 and 1991.

Three players off the defensive unit were selected in the 2018 NFL Draft, including Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year Vita Vea, making 12 in four years for the defensive-side of the ball selected under Kwiatkowski.

In 2016, the Huskies once again topped all Pac-12 defenses as the Dawgs went 12-2 and earned a trip to the College Football Playoff. The Dawgs led the conference in both total defense (316.9 yards per game, 12th in the nation) and scoring defense (17.7 points per game, eighth) in the nation, while also leading all FBS schools in turnover margin (1.29 per game) and takeaways (33). Washington was also first in the conference in first downs allowed and third down conversion defense, while finishing second in red zone defense, rushing defense and sacks.

Four Huskies (Elijah Qualls, Azeem Victor, Budda Baker and Sidney Jones) earned first-team All-Pac-12 following the 2016 season. Baker was a consensus All-America safety.

In 2015, his second on Montlake, Kwiatkowski took charge of the top defense in the Pac-12 Conference, despite having lost five starters to the NFL after the 2015 season. His unit led the Pac-12 in scoring defense (18.8 points per game) and total defense (351.8 yards per game) and was second in rushing defense (125.3 yards per game) and pass efficiency defense (115.9). The Huskies were also tops in the league in opponent first downs and red-zone defense.

In his first year as a Husky coach, Kwiatkowski helped lead a UW defense that featured three Associate Press first-team All-America selections in Hau'oli Kikaha, Danny Shelton and Shaq Thompson. Washington finished the season second in the nation in sacks, fifth in fumble recoveries, ninth in turnover margin and 26th in takeaways. Additionally, the UW led the NCAA-FBS with seven defensive touchdowns.

Kwiatkowski came to Washington from Boise State, where he'd completed his fourth season as the Broncos’ defensive coordinator in 2013.

Kwiatkowski, a member of the Boise State Athletic Hall of Fame, spent 16 overall seasons as a member of the Broncos’ coaching staff – eight since returning to coach at his alma mater in 2006. He was the defensive line coach prior to being elevated to defensive coordinator in 2010.

As Boise State’s defensive coordinator, the Broncos led the Western Athletic and Mountain West Conferences in total defense and scoring defense in each of his first three seasons and were third and second, respectively, in 2013. Kwiatkowski’s defenses have not only excelled within the conference, but have been ranked among the best nationally.

In his first three seasons of guiding the defense, the Broncos were one of seven teams to rank among the nation’s top 25 in total defense. They were second nationally in 2010, 16th in 2011 and 12th in 2012. In that same span, opponents averaged just 297.1 yards per game, making the Broncos one of six teams to allow less than 300 yards per game.

Kwiatkowski-led defenses allowed 18.0 points per game in four seasons. The Broncos ranked second-nationally in scoring defense in 2010 (12.8 ppg), 12th in 2011 (18.7), eighth in 2012 (15.8) and 50th in 2013 (24.8).

In 2010, his debut season as defensive coordinator, the Broncos finished second-nationally in both total defense and scoring defense, allowing just 254.7 yards per game and 12.8 points per game. Boise State also led the nation in sacks (3.7), ranked second in the country in both tackles-for-loss (8.4) and pass efficiency defense (95.2), fourth-nationally in pass defense (150.9) and seventh-nationally in rushing defense (103.8) - leading the WAC in each category. Eight different student-athletes earned All-WAC recognition, five of which garnered first-team accolades.

In 2011, the Broncos' debut season in the Mountain West, Boise State ranked 12th-nationally in scoring defense (18.7), 16th-nationally in total defense (320.9) and 17th-nationally in rushing defense (110. 0) -leading the league in each category. Following the 2011 season six members of the Broncos' defensive unit earned all-conference recognition, including each of Kwiatkowski's four starting defensive linemen.

In 2012, despite losing nine starters, Boise State ranked fifth-nationally in both pass defense (169.5) and pass efficiency defense (101.4), eighth-nationally in scoring defense (15.8), 11th-nationally in sacks (2.9) and 12th-nationally in total defense (315.6). The Broncos ranked fourth nationally forcing 36 turnovers and led the nation with 18 fumble recoveries.

They also picked off 18 passes to rank 12th nationally. The Broncos placed four of their defensive players on the All-MW First Team in 2012, a mark that led the league.

The 2013 Broncos’ squad ranked second in the conference in points allowed (24.8), second in interceptions (16), third in total defense (413.4), third in pass efficiency defense (129.7) and fourth in sacks (30). The Broncos placed two defensive player on the MW first team, including defensive end Demarcus Lawrence, who led the league in sacks per game (0.88) and was 10th nationally with 10.5 overall. He also led the conference in tackles for loss with 20.5 (1.71 per game) and ranked third nationally.

From 2006-09, Kwiatkowski's served as defensive line coach and helped elevate Boise State to a higher success at the national level.

In 2009 Boise State owned one of the nation's top defenses, ranking in the top 20 and leading the WAC in a number of categories. The Broncos ranked 13th-nationally in pass efficiency defense (103.42), 14th-nationally in both total defense (300.2) and scoring defense (17.1) and 19th-nationally in tackles for loss (19). The Broncos also led the conference in pass defense (179.9).

Nationally, the Broncos finished 2008 ranked No. 2 in pass defense, No. 3 in scoring defense (12.6) and No. 20 in total defense (308.2), and also led the WAC in pass efficiency defense (94.4).

In 2006 the Broncos were nationally-ranked in total defense (12th), scoring defense (25th), sacks (26th) and rushing defense (35th). Nationally in 2006, Boise State was eighth in rushing defense, 14th in total defense, 20th in scoring defense and 28th in sacks.

Prior to returning to Boise State, Kwiatkowski spent six seasons as Montana State's defensive coordinator. Under Kwiatkowski’s direction, the Bobcats' defense allowed a league-best 332.2 yards per game in 2005 and led the Big Sky Conference in passing defense, allowing just 165.6 yards per game. The Bobcats gave up only 22.8 points per game to rank second in scoring defense. MSU also led the Big Sky in total defense three other times - in 2001 (358.0), in 2002 (306.8) and in 2003 (298.4).

Montana State qualified for the I-AA playoffs in 2002 and 2003, the team's first postseason appearances since 1984. The Bobcats also beat in-state rival Montana in three of Kwiatkowski’s last four seasons at the school.

Kwiatkowski began his coaching career as an assistant at Boise State after an All-America and Hall-of-Fame playing career with the Broncos. He coached for eight seasons (1988-96) under three different head coaches in his first stint. He mentored defensive backs, outside linebackers and the defensive line during that time.

Following the 1996 season Kwiatkowski moved to Snow Junior College in Utah, where he was the co-defensive coordinator and line coach for one season. He then coached at Eastern Washington for two seasons.

Kwiatkowski was a standout defensive lineman for the Broncos from 1984-87 and earned four first-team All-America awards in 1987. He was also honorable mention Associated Press All-America in 1986. He was named the Big Sky Defensive Player of the Year in 1987, received first-team All-Big Sky honors in 1986 and 1987 and was named all-conference honorable mention as a sophomore in 1985.

Kwiatkowski was inducted into the Boise State Athletic Hall of Fame in 1996.

Kwiatkowski graduated from Boise State in 1990. He and his wife Lara have three daughters, Shelby, Riley and Olivia.

• 2020 – Washington – Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
    • 2018-2019 – Washington – Co-Defensive Coordinator/Outside Linebackers
    • 2014-2017 – Washington – Defensive Coordinator
    • 2010-2013 – Boise State – Defensive Coordinator
    • 2006-2009 – Boise State – Defensive Line
    • 2000-2005 – Montana State – Defensive Coordinator
    • 1998-1999 – Eastern Washington – Defensive Line
    • 1997 – Snow Junior College – Co-Defensive Coordinator/Defensive Line
    • 1988-1996 – Boise State – Defensive Backs/Outside Linebackers/Defensive Line

• Like Like x 1
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

You could say all the good things you want about what coach K has accomplished but what he did last year really really sucked. However i actually think there was a rotten evil spirit moving in and around the players that caused a lack of pride and effort so coach k deserves some latitude and time. But i wouldnt cry if Patterson replaced him. I would say it was unfortunate.
    However i also don't believe Sark would just up and replace him this soon. Wouldn't be good for the reputation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Horn2RunAgain

In ALL due respect, I don't give a **** what coach K did in the pac 12, or in the mountain west conference. In the b12 he was awful on every level imaginable

• poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Just stop it. Patterson is NOT going to replace Kwiatkowski. Get it through your head already. He may be hired on in a consultant+ type of role, which I would welcome.

• Agree Agree x 5
  25. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I wonder if his contract requires a coed to follow him with a towel and water bottle?
    10 sec google search ..Garry Patterson sideline photo, viola.
    959AA2B9-0F8C-4C33-9B63-FA34C46805E1.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Nobody does less with more than aggy...they have honed that art like a fine-edged blade.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Just chill out
    Why are you feeling so personal about it.
    I said above that coach k deserves time. I also said that Sark is not going to replace him this soon.
    So what is your problem. Are you in love with coach K?
    Or maybe you burned your dinner.
    I merely stated if Patterson replaced K, which i don't even want to happen at this moment, it wouldn't bother me, too much. But It would make Sark look bad and desperate
    I don't want that.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Why even put it out there as a rhetorical question? It isn't happening.

And NRHorn, my understanding of the role Patterson would play would preclude him from communicating with the coaches in the box on game day. So no need for a coed.

29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We know it's not happening your highness but that doesn't mean we can't speak hypothetically.

Maybe you need a vacation or something.
    How about margarita?

30. everette

everette 250+ Posts

My guess is that he was talking to thehornsupremacy.

• Like Like x 1