Horns moving on to MLB

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 19, 2018.

1. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Post info on Horns who are moving on.

I fully expect Kody, Nolan and Chase to sign in next couple of days.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Simeon Woods has signed with the Mets.

4. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

8. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

The good news is that Ty Madden didn’t sign. He was drafted in the 34th round by Kansas City, but was projected to go as high as the 1st 3 rounds.

9. sbmcruise

sbmcruise 100+ Posts

I looked carefully and saw that only 4 players drafted in the 1st 10 rounds did not sign:

Carter Stewart, 1st Round, 8th pick overall, Slot $4,980,700.
    Stewart's wrist injury created a definite concern for the Braves. The two parties have not yet been close. But if the Braves have offered at least $1.992 M (40% of the $4.98 M slot value) and Stewart doesn't sign, the team will get another first round pick next year. Carter strongly considering JUCO, to be eligible in 2019, although he signed a LOI with Mississippi State.

Matt McClain, 1st Round, 25th pick overall, Slot $2,636,400. He was reportedly being advised by agent Scott Boras. Will attend UCLA.

JT Ginn, 1st Round, 30th pick overall, Slot $2,275,800. Will attend Mississippi State which he described as his "lifelong dream.". He will be Draft-eligible as a 21-year-old sophomore at Mississippi State in 2020.

Gunnar Hoglund, 1st Round (CBA), 36th pick overall, Slot $1,967,900.
    The day after being drafted, Hoglund himself said that he’d already reached a verbal contract agreement with the Pirates. That contract never got signed. Hoglund hasn’t commented publicly on his decision, but it sounds like it had less to do with some sort of financial dispute with Pittsburgh and more to do with just wanting to play ball in Oxford.

Note that 2 of the 4 who didn't sign may be headed to Mississippi State who was close to playing for a national championship this year. Also 2 of their drafted Jrs also did not sign: Ethan Small, 26th Round and Jake Mangum, 32nd Round. As Seniors out of eligibility (and associated leverage) they will likely sign next year for peanuts and a bus pass to their new team. I'm guessing these guys are convinced that a shot at a national championship next year is worth the financial risk and probable sacrifice.

I wish we were close enough to lure some of our guys to stay, but we aren't at this point. All our drafted players and recruits signed except for recruit Ty Madden. I'm guessing he was only offered $50-65K based on what other HS Seniors drafted in the 34th Round signed for.