Horns-Tech Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Sep 26, 2020.

1. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Texanne,

I did exactly the same thing at the same time. Not for my health as in your case, but to give our team a chance. I knew that if I continued to watch, no way we win. If I change channels, we at least have a chance. So i claim some credit along with you. I didn't even find out we won until about an hour later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Tech always plays their best after the bye week at home. Just ask the aggies.

I also knew this might be a tough game for the defense because Ash didn't come from a spread background.

As Mack Brown used to say its great to have a bad game to learn from and still walk away with the W.

I'm just grateful to have football back.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So there you go

• Like Like x 2
  4. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Bowman is a gunslinger. Next level talent. Very accurate on intermediate stuff especially with a clean pocket, but not so much on deep balls. I see a lot of Mahomes in him. They will give everyone problems. If they only had a semblance of a defense...

Sam still has accuracy issues. Even on the passes that were caught, receivers had to make adjustments. He’s a competitor though (stating the obvious).

That being said, this may be the deepest, most talented receiving group we’ve had in a while.
    Joshua Moore - what a story!

Wouldn’t worry about the defense. They’re still very athletic and full of playmakers. May have been a little cocky today but I think they’ll be alright.

Same with special teams. Tech just made great plays, especially the onside kick.

Overall, I just think team was overconfident but was able to get it together when they had to. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

You might be getting a little carried away with the next level talent assessment.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. kobs1776

kobs1776 100+ Posts

I thought I heard the same and asked those watching with me. They said your deaf which I nearly am from Marine Corps Artillery!

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

8. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

The A&M game that glorious year was ugly as well, but VY pulled it through. I was there.

9. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

After watching this game and reflecting : It appears that once we got ahead in the first half the coaching staff and players became lax. They thought this was just like last week and they were much better than Tech. Defense quit playing,Special teams gave up. The offense line quit blocking and the secondary went to sleep. This seems to be a pattern of Herman teams. He always loses one he should win. There does not seem to be focus on football from Herman to players. I give them credit,they woke up before it was too late. Last year there was intensity in the LSU game and then it was lost for the rest of the season until the Bowl game. I will stand by my 7-3 prediction until this coaching staff and players prove me wrong. The way they played saturday shows that Texas is not back. I hope they prove me wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Did anyone watch the after game presser?

11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 3
  12. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

So far this year, there has been very little consistency of play by a lot of teams. A team will good one week, terrible the next, and vice versa. And almost no ability to judge a team by who they play or beat - KSU loses to Arky State, a Div 2 team, but beats OU on the road.

I haven't followed the off season close enough to know how much was different in terms of practice time this year compared to others. I know it was less. It seems to have more of an impact in terms of quality of play, and consistency, that you'd think at first glace.

It's like the teams are pick up teams, where a bunch of guys just show up and play at IM fields or such - even if you have the same guys on a team every week, some weeks you blow everyone out, some weeks you just don't mesh well together and the team is terrible.

I think you'll see a lot of that early in the season - great one week, horrible the next. Maybe as the season goes it, things smooth out and good teams look good every week, while bad teams are identifiable bad week in and week out. Or maybe the lack of practice time, and off field issues put a damper on the season for everyone. Some years just have sloppy and poor play from about everyone. Remember the 2007 season when a two loss LSU won the National Championship, due to about 3 things having to happen on league champonship day, and no one else having a decent year.

For Texas, the team isn't near as good as the playoff bound team a lot of folks here thought they were after week 1's win against a hired team from Division 2. Nor are they as terrible as the doom and gloomers (often the same Yeah Texas!!! guys after a big win), say they are after a sloppy performance against Tech.

The next two games are the biggest of the year. Herman has 2 wins in 7 tries against TCU / OU combined. Can't really say both team look down this year - so does everyone. Watch the Texas (lack of) defense or OL play in the second half and tell me that'll win the game against OU. But they gave up 17 unanswered points in the 4th quarter against KSU to stink that one out themselves.

It's very difficult this year to get a gauge on a team, or what's likely to happen next game. Just have to buckle yourself in and enjoy the ride.

13. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

.1% chance of winning w/ 3 min left. You gotta give Sam credit for that. I think this is the 1st time I've ever completely given up and Texas came back to win. In fact, probably the most unbelievable comeback in all my years watching Texas football.

That defense won't get it done though, but I'm not ready to throw Ash out yet. It's just one game. BTW, if was Foster that missed a lot of tackles.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. havoc7701

It was certainly within our top 5 or top 3 comebacks, but still not as good as VY down 35 - 7 against OSU and the pump-fake, sideline run to TD which started the comeback.

15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Not for me. I had hope in that one. I had no hope yesterday w/ 3 min left.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Over the past 5 seasons, teams trailing by 15+ points in the 4th quarter went 11-1,852

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. havoc7701

In terms of hopelessness, I see your point, but if you see my post #534 above, I did not share that sentiment, though I knew it was an incredible long shot. :hookem:

18. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Your getting your comebacks against OSU mixed up, the pump fake run for TD came the next year in Stillwater. The Horns were down 28-12 at that point. The 35-7 comeback was year before in Austin and actually started with TD pass to Bo Scaife right before halftime. In '04 and '05 Texas outscored OSU 77-0 in the second half after being down 35-14 and 28-12 respectively at the half. I was lucky enough to be at both games.

• Like Like x 2
  19. havoc7701

Ah yes, thanks for the reminder. Too much beer drinking in those days blends those excellent years together.

20. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Sitting across from you and hearing your commentary during the game must be what it is like when people watch a Texas game with me.

Brilliant commentary, realistic, and valid.

:coolnana:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Maybe. But he certainly looked it MOST of the time yesterday.

22. Horn hubby

Horn hubby 500+ Posts

almost lost to Kansas too...... 4th and 19 or whatever it was....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  23. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Ricky's great run against a m was in a game we could have easily lost.

24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

How many times were there only 3 minutes left in the game?

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Texas almost lost to a team that almost lost to HBU...a team that didn't even EXIST a decade ago. Let that sink in for a bit...

26. havoc7701

So basically the exact opposite of TexAgs.com.:e-thinking:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Precisely. I ain't no 2%er who don't uncover.

• Funny Funny x 3
  28. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

truthfully I was ready to write another season off w 3 mins left. i.e. go hunting and listen to the games in Marquez on the radio where you can hear parts of the game when the clouds are "just right".

29. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

He squirmed so much that maybe CDC DID take a bite out of that ***...

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Best coment from TH during presser was when Sam told TH " they left too much time. We will tie it and win in overtime".
    Who does that remind us of?
    I only wish I knew Sam had said that. Would have saved me some angst
    And probably Worster a half a bottle

Thanks Dion.

• Agree Agree x 2