Horns travel to WVU Saturday

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.texassports.com/news/2017/1/12/no-16-womens-basketball-preview-no-18-west-virginia-jan-14-2017.aspx

http://www.wvusports.com/page.cfm?story=31622&cat=exclusives
    Holy Batman! $1 tickets!
    WVU live stream: http://www.wvusports.com/wvu-wbb-stream.cfm

2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wow, WVU got tall. Two 6-6, one 6-5, one 6-4 and one 6-3 posts. Nicely spaced: Sr. (6-5), Jr. (6-3), Soph. (6-6) and frosh (6-4 & 6-6). The problem for WVU is only the senior, 6-5 Lanay Montgomery and the junior (6-3 Kristina King) have played in Big 12 games. During the regular season, 6-6 frosh Marlene Schmidt only got into 4 games, averaging 3.8 mpg. Twice, in Big 12 games, the Mountaineers have gone big with both Montgomery and King starting and 6-1 F Teana Mudrow sliding to the 3. The other three games, they have used a guard in place of King. With Audrey-Ann recovered from her bone bruise, the Horns will have the 6-4 twins Audrey-Ann & Khaléann in relief of starters Kelsey & Joyner. I have to give the Horns a slight edge in the post.

Like Texas, WVU has one very good 3pt shooter (Tynice Martin, 41.7% from BTA) and another good one (Teana Muldrow, 38.1% from BTA). Muldrow is a swing forward who stays on the floor for an average of 33 mpg. Whether our PF or SF is guarding her, they need to be aware of her ability to connect from the BTA. The question for WVU is whether they have anyone that can counter Joyner if she stays out of foul trouble. For Texas, the question is whether Kelsey has regained her shooting touch after shooting less than 50% the last three games. WVU uses eight players in their main rotation with three averaging over 33 mpg. Horns use 10-11 players regularly with Brooke (31.6 mpg) and Kelsey (30.0 mpg) playing the most.

WVU and Texas are fourth and fifth in scoring in league play (71.8 to 71.4). But Horns are first in scoring D while WVU is eighth (51.6 to 77.2). The two are very close in almost all offensive categories. In defensive categories, Texas is usually among the top four while WVU usually is in the lower third. Texas averages 48.6 rpg, a plus 13.6, while WVU is at 34.6 rpg, 5.4 less than opponents are grabbing.

WVU, after their loss to Tech on Wed, will be trying to keep from going two games below .500 in conference play. Horns’ fifth straight win to open league play is tied for the best start in school history. A win at WVU will let this team make history with the best start to league play ever at 6-0.

The game is at 3 PM CST Saturday. It should be on the WVU internet feed for free. There is no other way to watch the game. WVU had 2466 come watch when BU came to town. They are averaging 2514. But that game was on a weekday, a Wednesday. When OU visited, 2563 showed up to watch the game. That was on a Sunday. Wonder what kind of crowd the Horns will draw on a Saturday at 3 PM?

3. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

Texas should win. It's going to be a good 1.
    Hookem'

4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Can't believe this one is not broadcast (top 20 matchup) with the exception of WV streaming

• Like Like x 2
  5. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookem.com/story/quebec-texas-khaleann-caron-goudreau-boosting-uts-frontcourt/

have to love their attitude. Audrey-Ann actually has more playing experience than Khaléann who sat out last year while her sister was playing in junior college and earning JC AA honors. Wonder if they will be the first Texas players to be in the Olympics in the last couple of decades? I think they would be the first Horn WBB players to be Canadian Olympic players should they get selected.

http://www.dominionpost.com/Texas-next-for-WVU-women’s-hoops

hmm, this pretty looks like the WVU release. Nothing new added. Kinda makes me appreciate the AAS and their coverage, even with the errors they make sometimes.

Seems like I keep reading that about some game almost every week.

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, dang. UT men are taking on WVU at the same time the UT women are playing in Morgantown. Men's game is on ESPN2.

Too bad the men's game isn't on the LHN and the women on ESPN2.

7. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I thought this was why we have our own network. Between not getting to see this game and being forced to be anywhere in Austin at 6pm on a Tuesday due to FoxSports schedule, I am over our program right now. Either they want to rebuild the fan base or they don't. Which is it??!!

8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Yes, here we go once again, both at the exact same time. It boggles my mind that when there are 24 hours in a day and 2 days in a weekend that this can happen. Who is scheduling this crap?

• Like Like x 1
  9. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

The Men's game is on ESPN2 at 3pm.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Some folks still don't understand how LHN works. LHN only gets the chance to broadcast home games (in any sport) which the Tier 1 networks with which the Big 12 has TV contracts (such as ABC, CBS, FOX, and ESPN networks) and Tier 2 (like FSN) bypass. So ESPN2 picks up the men's game; the end.

I actually am surprised our game at WVU is not being televised as it has been the last couple of years; I believe they were on FS1, but also think they were on a Sunday; might be wrong.

But, with it not being televised, I see no reason why WVU couldn't move the time so it wouldn't conflict with the men's game. This actually hurts their fan attendance more as some fans might stay home to watch their Top 10 men's team play against our men's team on television. So, I'd have to say this all falls on WVU; but, who knows for sure. Perhaps our coaches didn't want the play the game a couple of hours earlier or later.

• Like Like x 1
  11. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

i got lag bad but i can see it

12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

17-16 WVU after one quarter. Glad to see Lashann get in the game early; she has four points.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  13. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Got the video. I muted the sound. Ridiculous that this game is not being televised.

• Like Like x 2
  14. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

You are doing your own play by play cool :)

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We had a great second quarter. Continued our run from the first quarter to build our lead up to 34-20 with just about 1:30 left in the second quarter. But, with around 30 seconds left, Joyner misses a 3 foot bank shot, and then fouls a WVU player under the WVU basket, who scores and converts the basket and foul shot. 34-25 at half.

16. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Horns losing the reb battle, 16-21 but up 34-25 at the half. Horns held WVU to 8 pts in the second half, most of those late in the quarter.

Muldrow has 16 pts for the Mountaineers. Kelsey has 4 rebs, Montgomery has 9. Kelsey and Joyner lead with 8 pts. Ariel picked up her second foul about halfway through the second quarter.

17. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

I am very pleased Karen is using the bench...Sug, Lashann and the Twins are giving us good minutes!! I hope in the 2nd half we continue to pour it on...am surprised the 3's are not falling for Twins, they are usually excellent 3-point shooters!! But if we keep it up, and use the bench, I think we can pull this out!:hookem::e-clap:

• Like Like x 1
  18. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

That was a fun half. Horns playing well, and shooting well. Not many turnovers. My two standouts in this half were Higgs, who brings instant offense (today, anyway), and Holmes, who did many good things. I don't think I've seen her look this good before. We badly need more than one 3 point shooter. I like to see the Caron-Goudreaux take them, but wish they would go in. Still, we're only 9 ahead. We have to avoid a shooting drought, like WVU had in the second. Game could still easily go either way.

• Like Like x 2
  19. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

She did not do a very good job defensively on Muldrow initially. Which is why she ended up on the bench for a while. She played well but she has played better and needs to do so in this game.

20. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Yep. I'm a "homer".

21. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Wow...the bench players are putting on a show today!! Kudos to Karen for her coaching..they need to learn how to play together, and they ARE!! Lashann?? A beast today...Chris called her a "waterbug"...yep...Woo Hoo!! :bevo::hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  22. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

16, 18 & 25-pts per quarter that Texas has scored so far. WVU: 17, 8 & 16. Horns up 59-41 to start the fourth. :hookem3:

23. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

And Horns are 0-9 from BTA.

24. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Joyner has got to work on those jumpers. She's left wide open and can't hit them.

25. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Just weird, we are better than that! The free throws are gonna cost us a game soon...but hey, we are still ahead!! :bounce1:

26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

WVU is 6-12 from BTA and losing by 16. :hookem3:

27. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Getting sloppy and letting WV back in the game. Good time out by Coach.

28. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

man, Horns have gone cold and WVU has heated up. 8 pt game with 2 minutes to go. Horns need a score on this possession.

• Like Like x 1
  29. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Lead down to 8...we gotta execute better, so sloppy, and rebounds not good! ****, we were up by 20+....damn!! Come ON, Texas!!! :bevo::hookem::bevo::hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  30. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Ariel!! That girl is $$$$ !!! :yippee:

• Like Like x 2