Horns travel to WVU Saturday

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Jan 12, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ariel has come up big after that 2 minute time out, scoring five pts to keep WVU at bay.

2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

3. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Andddddd, it's a W! Way to hang in there ladies.

4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

73-63 Texas! Got better as the game went on until late in the fourth when WVU made a run but Ariel shut that down.

5. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

WHEW!! The run almost got us, but we pulled it out!!
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Hahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

:yippee::bounce1::bevo::hookem::bounce2:

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Has Texas ever gone 0 fer from BTA and still won? 0-10 today but still shot 32-64 from the field. Decent FT% 69% as well. Horns did force 21 TOs while only committing 11. Solid win over a top 20 team at their place.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Time to watch the men's who are tied with #10 WVU. Hoping for sweep today.

8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I see we went back to the two colors of orange uniforms. Is there someone picking out what the team wears who thinks this looks good? Weird.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

We owe this one to Higgs. Way to go girl!

Wanted the 22 pt blowout but I'll take the W

Only 11 turnovers on the road. Wow

Refs calling that non foul to send Lang to the bench almost cost us this game as that is when WV went on their run.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

It's certainly a perfect example of why Kelsey and Ariel can't get in foul trouble. Huge drop-off when they're on the bench. We just don't have any strong forward play past the starters. Not sure why Underwood didn't get a chance today though.

11. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

If Shaka wants to see what a point guard means to a team, just watch McCarty. She is the best point guard we have had since Jamey Carey and before her a decade(s) absence.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

Disagree with you on the PG "absence" comment, but do say that Brooke has REALLY taken this team on her back and has done great leading it..Sug can learn a lot from her (& Jamie!):hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  13. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

You are correct that home games are all LHN has the rights to broadcast but it's in Texas' contract with ESPN that they are to attempt to negotiate or obtain rights for away games. Since the contract has been in place, I'm aware of only one time early on when they did this and broadcast a women's volleyball game from Waco. So they tried exactly once.

With the quality of feeds from many of the streaming services, I'm not sure why LHN can't simulcast it. But I'm even more annoyed that when the Kansas schools have their deals with ESPN3 and the games are streaming by ESPN and the feed is definitely TV quality, those games should be simulcast on LHN. That's left pocket, right pocket between ESPN. Their contracts with the Kansas schools should have language that allows them to broadcast live on any of their owned channels if a window is available. PERIOD.

14. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

didn't even notice.

15. hornsgeek

hornsgeek 100+ Posts

This isn't on the team or managers. It looks fine in person, but doesn't look good under lights and on camera. Apparently Nike had issues matching colors on different materials. Not likely that someone on staff would choose mismatching colors.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Oh, I noticed. It looked bad. The discrepancy in burnt orange was glaring. I figured it was the good video stream quality today which really made it apparent. During our road games at ISU and Kansas, it wasn't.

17. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

There was also one road volleyball game at LSU which LHN televised LIVE maybe 3 years ago.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You might be right; the men's hoops teams has no such issue with their burnt orange uniforms.

Look at the photo of Joyner (in the post-game writeup); very apparent how different the orange in shorts is versus the jersey.

http://www.texassports.com/news/201...etball-tops-no-18-19-west-virginia-73-63.aspx

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, if we're gonna give up a 12-0 run in the fourth quarter of any game, at least it was in a game where we had a 20 point lead. Up to that point, I thought we may have played on of our best games of the season, especially on the road.

Glad we cut down on the turnovers. Surprised we lost the rebound battle so badly. Joyner has to get more than 4 rebounds. And, if Brianna is gonna play 30 minutes, we need her to do better than 4 points and 2 rebounds; that's a liability. Ariel getting only 2 rebounds, as well, was very disturbing.

Still, we managed to shoot 50% from the floor despite going 0-9 on 3 point shooting. Heard Coach A on the radio say that several of those 3 points shots weren't good decisions based on the situation. And our defense continued their great play from the OSU game.

• Like Like x 1
  20. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Solid road win in spite of being in some foul trouble and getting beat on the boards. Defense was good holding WVU in check for most of the game. We took pretty good care of the ball except for that lapse that helped facilitate WVU's late run. We shot well from the floor other than beyond the arc.

Glad to pick up the road "W", now we've got to come home and get right back to work, as OU comes to.town Tuesday.
    Hook 'Em! :hookem3:

• Like Like x 2
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

maybe that's why I don't notice it during the games. Sure can't see any difference in the photo. Other than that caused by sweat and shadows. And I do have to see how differences in colors/shades look together/contrast with each other, etc. or I don't make money. Danged if I can see any difference.

22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Didn't you tell us once that you are color blind?

23. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

I forgot about the LSU one. Then there were two. The Waco match may have been the first year when not many providers had it.

24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

legally blind once upon a time, hence my choice for my name. Never color blind, nor legally blind any longer, although the latter is always a possibility.

25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I've often wondered why ESPN2/U airs our road volleyball matches at Baylor, TCU, and OU more often than not; it's not like those teams have been Top 25. Then it dawned on me that it is pretty easy for the Austin-based LHN (ESPN) crew and equipment to drive up I-35, even though it isn't technically LHN doing the broadcasting. Granted, sometimes FSN will pick up those road matches instead.

26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Here's the team photo where I initially noticed the color disparity:

27. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Not that I care much how we look like compared to how we play, but the color mismatch is obvious to me in the picture Moooooo posted and is much more grating on TV or computer monitor. I was shocked when I first saw us that way on TV. The weird part to me --- does Nike not have some kind of contractual agreement to get the uniforms right? I'm sure we're paying them a pretty penny. I don't know why we're putting up with it. It makes me think of some financially strapped junior high team which is doing the best they can with what they can put together. Maybe the mothers finding the shorts at one store, while the school springs for the tops.

28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

About the road unis (and it's been bugging me). I was watching the North Carolina men's team playing on the road a few weeks ago and their uniforms were two different shades of Carolina blue. I believe they were Nike as well, so I'm thinking maybe it's a "thing". If so, I still don't like it but feel better if this is on purpose.

29. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

A top 20 match up goes un-televised but UConn plays a powder puff game week after week on ESPN. They beat SMU by 40 today - now that is riveting TV. At the end of the first quarter, SMU had exactly one basket. Wow. I bet the ratings were HUGE.

If I recall, LHN was marketed to all of us with slogans like "never miss a game again"
    and "all the action, all the time." Considering it cost us one of the best college rivalries in the nation, you would have thought they negotiated the deals so that we really never have to miss a game. LHN should have the ability to broadcast any game that is otherwise not picked up.

Anyone live in Austin? A game at 6pm downtown during the week???? I bet attendance will be horrible regardless, but it will be painfully bad the first quarter as all of us who don't work downtown are sitting in traffic rather than in our seats. Why? FoxSports wants it at 6 rather than 7. So even when we get the televised game, it's at the expense of the hometown ticket holders.

Drives me nuts. And I consider myself a very dedicated fan. I get that big $$$ are involved but it should be done so as not to risk turnout at games - a large home crowd is like having a sixth player on the court.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

It was Uconn's chance to set a new winning streak record so it woulda been televised had they been playing NE Idaho Potato Farmers College. Although it is certainly ridiculous our game wasn't. Time shoulda been different anyway, or shoulda been on Sunday.