Horns v. Wvu

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Walking Boss, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

West Virginia is not very good. Horns are making a bunch of silly mistakes and Hayes has two early fouls up 7-2

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Walking Boss

This game should not be this close. 12-8 horns

3. Walking Boss

Texas simply has no clear objective on offense and just throws up whatever. Usually one pass and a contested shot. Stupid fouls abound not hustle fouls just I don’t really have a clue fouls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This game is terrible so far for the Horns. Totally out of control on defense and offense. No movement on offense; undisciplined on defense; jumping into the wvu shooters and fouling like crazy.

Febres and Hayes are in foul trouble already. SMH

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horns put wvu in the DOUBLE BONUS at the 9 minute mark of the first half. I have never seen that so early in a game.

6. Walking Boss

i can see why Tech ran wvu out of the gym. A team that plays disciplined purposeful ball on both ends of the court destroys wvu. We don’t play that way under Smart. Horns could easily be up by 10-14, instead it’s a close game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Horn offense finally starting to go inside with the pick n roll and making wvu pay

8. Walking Boss

Wvu cannot shoot the ball. They are worse than the Horns shooting. Just stay in front of them and contest the dot without fouling. Wvu won’t make enough shots to win. Instead we just keep fouling.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Our guys have not been taught how to play tough D without fouling. this is as hard to watch as the early loss to Radford. :(

10. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Royce Hamm has made the same foul while trying to set a screen on two of the last three trips down the floor. I think this is just poor coaching. After two years in the program our bigs are still unable to set a screen. WTF!?

11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

NO more posts for me this half. I'm going of the negative cliff and I need to talk myself away from the edge.:deadhorse:

12. Walking Boss

Horns tried like hell to play themselves into a halftime deficit, but wvu is just that bad and wouldn’t take it. Horns up at half

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Walking Boss

Horns 6-12 from behind the arc. Only reason they are up 6. If the three’s stop falling they will lose if they play like the first half.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Walking Boss

Horns getting to the rim with dribble penetration and dishing off it. Finally getting some separation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Walking Boss

I think Huggy Bear’s head is going to explode before this season is over. That is how bad Wvu is this year. Given that Horns have made much better decisions on the offensive end and stopped fouling on defense. Ergo a 23 point lead

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Osetkowski 0-7 FG, 0-1 3pt

At Ramey & Roach combined 7 of 9 from behind the arc. Amazing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Game over, Horns win!! 2nd half shooting, especially Ramey, was outstanding. And they stopped with the ridiculous fouls. If Ramey can get this shooting to stick around awhile, the Horns will do pretty well the remainder of the season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Walking Boss

Horns took care of business. Wvu defense is pretty porous so the almost complete reliance on the dribble drive is concerning against a team that plays defense. There were some good back cuts that led to easy dunks and buckets though. The offense was good against bailor and in the second half tonight (shooting was good in first half) so if that continues they could pick up some wins down the stretch. KSU is a different animal than the one they played earlier so it should be a good indicator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Well the Horns now have one more conference win then I thought they would so a 5-13 season ending conference record has been avoided. Real question now is, can they find the 4-5 more wins that it will likely take to get into the tournament as a 10 or 11 seed.

20. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Joe Lunardi has us as a 9 seed.

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Theoretically, I could see us winning every remaining game. Our most likely loss is @ Tech. If we fell into a slump, we could just as easily go 1-6, but the way the team has been scoring, I don't think that's as likely as 6-1.

I think 4-3 before the Big 12 tournament probably has us right on the bubble. If we lost our first conference tournament game, I think we might be one of the last 4 teams selected. String together a win or two in the conference tourney and we should be a lock for a 10-11. I think Lunardi's 9-seed comes to fruition if we go 5-2 and win one more in the conference tournament.

• Like Like x 1