Horns vs Purdue 7:30pm TNT

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Chop, Mar 20, 2022.

1. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Yes, I also wonder how missing 2 front ends on one plus one FT’s just before half had on the game.

My opinion is our guys played tough and hard and never gave up. It is also my opinion that not jacking enough 3‘s was not why we came up short.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Our loss was very disappointing. I was sort of devastated about it last night.

The reason the horns lost is that Purdue had quite a collection of talented basketball players that we cannot match up with. In addition to all American jaden Ivey they have a 7'4" and a 6'11" guy with skills who are monsters in the paint on offense and defense.

Horns shot 35.7% and Purdue shot 35.3% three pointers.
    Horn were 7 of 12 free throws.
    Purdue was 33 of 46 free throws. This is an amazing stat line: 33 fu-king made free throws. We simply could not defend their bigs without fouling.

Our team deserves our heartfelt gratitude, imo. They played with great heart; they represented The University and the state well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Absolutely agree. I trust Beard will get us to next level.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  4. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

So, to oversimplify—they had 23 point blank layups or dunks that we decided to foul deliberately and give up 33 points at the line instead of the 40 it probably would have been if they get the shot off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't say deliberately. In fact, I think they caught Allen by surprise on that first one, and Beard quickly realized it wasn't going to be Timmy's night. Getting him in trouble was probably the biggest plus for Purdue all night.

I thought Bishop and Disu did as well as they could. There was no way Purdue was going to camp around the 3-point line and just let Texas stick it to them. That said, I don't think Purdue has looked that good around the basket for about 75% of the rest of the season. It was their night underneath.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You know, I am really glad you said it this way. Too many fools look at the free throw disparity and immediately cry about biased refs. I saw only one or two calls that I had any real qualms with. To me the game was very well played and well refereed. We just had no answer for their posts.

With that said, I loved what Disu gave us this game, and I hope to see much more of that next season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Didn't read this thread. Is a good summary that Beard and Texas have won more NCAA Tournament games in one season than Smart and Texas did in 7 seasons?

Then, nothing to be disappointed about here, I suppose.

9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I will continue to repeat that the 20-0 run we let Purdue go on is what cost us the game.
    No, we couldn't handle their bigs.
    We also couldn't score a freaking bucket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Yep. Basically, we are a good team but not clutch.

11. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

LC
    Not clutch Yet

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mmsnake

mmsnake 250+ Posts

23 of 33 free throws that were made were made by guards not their posts