Horns vs Red Raiders Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Dionysus, Nov 10, 2018.

1. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Here's something to think about. We did pretty well in a traditional 4-3 or sometimes 4-2-5 under Mack. I hate not having 4 down lineman to rush the passer. It's not just getting sacks, it's also closing down lanes to throw to. Having DBs rush from the edge doesn't work. It's a lot easier to block a DB if you are a RB than a 300 lb DT. It's time to ditch this stupid D and get some pass rushers.

• Hot Hot x 1
  2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I agree on the Foster play. It should have been reviewed, either automatically or requested by Herman. I thought it was a pick then and I still think so now. Thanks for posting the video.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

My take isn’t that deception (and, of course, fundamentals) is the key to success. As SabreHorn has pointed out, we need to be more creative with our schemes, and better disguise them. And when we do blitz, we have got to stop telegraphing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am 100 percent sure the ball hit the ground as the receiver was trying to catch the ball. Then the receiver corralled it and the defender pulled it away from him. It was not an interception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

PP, I have now watched the non-interception play at least 10 times, and have frozen it at different frames. We never saw a perfect angle or a super slow motion replay but what I saw was the ball hit the receiver’s right palm, ricochet over to his left wrist/forearm area, then back over to this right hand and pop up, at which time Foster grabbed it.

If it touched the ground it would have to have been when the ball ricocheted back to his right hand. When that happened the ball was vertical so if it touched the ground — and I don’t believe that it did — it would have been just the tip. Since the trajectory of the vertical ball didn’t change from what I could see, I don’t think that it touched.

Had they reviewed the play I believe Foster would have been awarded the int and the completion of the game probably would have changed.

6. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Was that in the fourth quarter? Since I've been challenged I want to review it myself.

7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree.
    There was a very good shot/angle to see what happened. The ball first hit the receivers palm or wrist as you said then ricocheted toward his left arm but the ball hit the ground on the way over to his left arm......incompletion
    Even my momma saw it hit the ground and momma's don't lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

We had a 17 point lead with less than 7 minutes left in the game.:facepalm:

BUT ended with a 7 point lead!! Yahoo

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

We have “Sam's Club” ... how about “Strip Club” ?

OK maybe not

• Hot Hot x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

LOL, they could have a brass pole on the sideline that's awarded to the player who strips.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

How do you know they are "brass" poles?

12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I heard somewhere a long long time ago, but I dont recall. :smile1:

13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wadster,

The Sun Bowl was different in that Maryland won the toss and took the ball. Earl and I sat with Coach Jerry Claiborne at Tim & Volanda's wedding reception, and Coach Claiborne was bemoaning those "West Texas winds" that no one warned him about.

Also Earl & Tim were on the Oilers charter to Pittsburgh during that game, but when they got to the team hotel, Wilson left a message on my home phone - "what happened".

14. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

15. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I think this year is just down across the board (except for Alabama, as usual over the past decade or more now) nationally and after the OU win Texas just hit the rankings at the right time.

I mean besides the Pirate, no noise out West.

Beyond Clemson in the East, traditionals (FSU, Miami, etc.) are down and out.

Even OU isn't a world beater, Florida, LSU, Auburn, tOSU, Meatchicken, PSU, Georgia, nowhere near like some years where seems like 5 or 6 teams with talking heads' sweating brows about who gets kept out of the CFP.

Oh yeah, Domers, but their schedule this year seems pretty weak even at 10-0.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

JThompson sprained his right ankle.
    Davante Davis has an ankle sprain and knee pain.
    Keaontay Ingram aggravated his hip pointer.
    Sterns was treated for a head injury.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Which one of you has poke leaves left in their freezer? Get them to Austin by dark.

19. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

In thinking about our team and defense, I compared outcome and stats for our game against Tech’s losses to WVA and OU. Admittedly, there is a difference because these other games featured both Duffy and Bowman for Tech. However, Duffy had already been showing improvement and he’s had far more practice than he’s had in the past. He also took reps with the first team all week. So, it doesn’t surprise me that he played better. (And, let’s face it, lots of OK QBs have put up big yardage in the Tech offense.).

Overall, looking at the stats and points given up by OU and WVA made me feel better about our team and D. We definitely gave up more passing yards than both teams, but we also managed to get key turnovers in our half of the field. In addition, if we can manage to win out, I think our D starters will slowly start to return, though I’m not 100% certain about that.

One of these days I would love to go to LBB and shut down Tech on a Saturday night, but I’m not sure that happens very often against anyone and it doesn’t appear to have happened this year. Maybe someone knows the answer to this.