Horns vs. TCU - Game Thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns11, Oct 3, 2020.

1. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ya know, I was just thinking I wonder if TH would say fans in the stands don’t matter now?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

I don't know man, hurry up at that point was unbelievably stupid. At least take the clock under two minutes then run power left with Sam. If it doesn't work, do it again under 90 seconds or make Patterson call time out. He is a senior power QB keep the ball in his hands there and kill the game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Sydhank

Sydhank 100+ Posts

Tackling was better. A few bright spots.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Not saying you are not correct about that series, I’m talking about the entire overall season thus far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

If Tom gave him the ball because “he got them there” he is a fool. You never sacrifice a chance at a win to reward a single player. Winning coaches never are that dumb and I would hope that even Tom is not as well. If he is, it will get him fired,

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I’d entertain another explanation but why else? It was hot and he had the catch and the previous run. Why else would they give it to him and not bring in someone?

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Blow-u just found a way to overcome lots of mistakes and take the lead over ISU 30-23 with about 8 min. left in 4th.

8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Why don't we put thunder thighs under center and just run QB sneak with a 300lb lineman to push if needed. That's the easiest way to score from the 1. If Brady can do surely Ehlinger could.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

What did I tell you guys? OU is even softer than we are.

What is the Vegas line on the OU game because we should be heavy favorites.

OU is even worse than I thought, they will be lucky to go 6-6 this year.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

So a dumba- - from ISU hits the OU qb in the 4th quarter and gets 15 plus targeting when OU threw an in-completed pass on a 3rd and 18. That stupid act may have cost the game. Where in the hell is the years of coaching for these dumbsh- -s? Why, why, why are they so f- - - king dumb and why do they play D-1 football.

11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

These hits have been happening since my Dad played with a leather helmet. But they weren't penalties until just a few years ago.

Kids are taught to play hard and hit hard and often taught from pee wee ball to "fly" to the ball which means kids are literally leaving their feet to accelerate to contact. What has changed is that QB's are passing exponentially more now while D linemen are chosen for ability and trained to RUSH THE PASSER. A recipe for this kind of penalty.

Refereeing games has changed dramatically over the last 5 years.
    Penalties called for roughing the passer have multiplied over this time; while emphasis on sacking the QB has dramatically increased due to the high number of pass oriented offenses.

BTW, the refs in the UT game were so incompetent I had trouble watching. Their calls genuinely altered the course and outcome of the game. That isn't meant to make excuses for UT's play. It stunk. We could have, and should have, won the game had our mistakes on both sides of the ball not been made.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

What was up with the formation putting Dlinemen on the corners of the line and leaving an obvious hole in the middle you could drive a truck through?
    I saw it and thought, "Here comes a QB draw."
    And he scampers 30 yards or so into the endzone.
    WTF?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Uggugug. Cold shivers hearing that, as a reminder of the years of the Charlie Strong Experience.

"Must play better. Gotta play smarter". All while standing on the sidelines looking as out of the game as if he had Smooth Jazz 105.3 playing in his headset.

I watched most of the second half. Texas didn't look that bad, and was able to limit TCU to I believe 3 FG's instead of TD's in a stretch. But they just never looked very good. There was no evidence of any of this Talent!!!, that I've heard Texas has more of than anyone since about 1998.

The teams were pretty evenly matched, and if you didn't care who won, it was a good exciting game to watch.

The issue is that He-Man has the resources of the richest AD in the country, with a long and accomplished football tradition, and lots of players with shiny gold stars after their names.

GP has the resources of a small school from Ft. Worth, with no football tradition, and lots of players no one else seemed to want. And yet, he was able to even things out, and now has won 3 of 4 from He-Man. Shows you what a good coach can do.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Great question for Tom. I hadn't noticed, but the broadcasters mentioned twice before that run how Texas was leaving the middle wide open. When that play was developing naturally my eyes went to the middle of the field. I cursed and yelled TD before he even crossed the line of scrimmage because there was literally no one there. I'm wondering if this is a new fangled defensive scheme.....lure 'em to the middle and we'll kill 'em!