Horrible game

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Knoxville-Horn, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

2. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I don't think Wisconsin is going to come within a couple of games of whoever has the better record between MSU and Indiana, and I think that's still being generous. That's not to say Wisconsin will or won't beat MSU at home. Anything can happen in one game, and home court is a significant advantage. I don't think Wisconsin is going to beat both MSU and Indiana at home, though.

I think both MSU and Indiana are on completely different planes as basketball teams this year than Wisconsin, whatever the respective records of Izzo and Ryan.

I have nothing against Wisconsin as a program. I'm fully aware of the success of the basketball program, both under Ryan and before him, Dick Bennett. I'm very pleased and honored that Texas has the opportunity to face the Badgers in a home and home. Wisconsin represents exactly the kind of program I'd like to see UT face every season in nonconference.

I understand Wisconsin is not Stephen F. Austin (who actually has played pretty well this year, btw). However, I don't think this Wisconsin team is as good as this year's Texas team, and I think the results will bear this out at season's end. It's a game as a Texas fan I feel like the Longhorns pissed away, and it very likely cost them a seed line in doing so.

Again, credit to the Wisconsin team for doing what they needed to do to come out with the victory, but I think it's fair to say I didn't come away from that game feeling as impressed by this Badger squad as you did.

3. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

4. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

All I can say is let's see how it plays out. From what I've seen, I think Indiana and Michigan State both have better basketball players on their team. I do think it would be very easy for me to find knowledgeable Indiana and Michigan State fans who would say that if they'd watched some of Wisconsin's games. To me they look like a bunch of plodders who are patient on offense, play decent defense, and can rebound well.

The Michigan State game wouldn't have been all that close except for AJ Abrams' 4 three pointers at the end of the game, however, that's not really where I'm coming from. That was the best game I've seen MSU play all year. I'd like to see them do it again a couple of times before I become complete believers in them, although what I saw last week is what I expected out of the Spartans in the preseason, based on them adding Kalin Lucas.

Having seen a few Michigan State and Indiana games, as well as having watched Wisconsin a couple of times, I just think the Spartans and Hoosiers are the class of the league, and Wisconsin is going to compete for a 3rd place finish at best.

But, maybe I'm wrong. If Wisconsin ends up winning the league, they'll make liars out of me, and the loss won't sting so bad. I simply don't see it based on what I've seen in college basketball this season. At this point, I view it as a great win for the Badgers that they deserved, and a horrible loss for the Longhorns that they pissed away.

5. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Wow . . . I don't know how one could watch the MSU & UW games and come out with the idea that the Badgers are on the Spartans' level, scores notwithstanding. The talent differential is significant. It just so happens that we played like crap against UW, and got beat. C'est la vie. I can't see Wisconsin getting through the Big 10 with less than, say 5 losses, and I'd be surprised if they do that well. We'll see.

Good game by the Badgers.

6. Bob in Houston

The Big Ten is pretty average this year... fifth among the six BCS leagues.

But Wisconsin is the highest-ranked team by both Pomeroy and Sagarin...

Considering UT lost on its floor, it should hope the Badgers do well from here.

7. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Sure, they're the highest ranked team in computer calculations after beating Texas on their home floor. Given where Texas was in the computer rankings, that would give anyone a good sized bump.

It also means they're not a bunch of schlubs. But we knew that anyway. They're a decent team. It's still not a game Texas should have lost.

8. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

The Big Ten is average this year (thanks, Illinois) and that is why Saturday was *very* important for us. Our two other losses (Duke and Marquette) were 'good' losses in the sense we lost to very good teams but we needed a good W like this.

In terms of comparing us to MSU, keep in mind our leading scorer and PG was not playing. He makes us look a lot more athletic.

Right now, I don't see how MSU comes into Madison and wins. We have only lost 5 games total at home under Bo Ryan..........and we are 46-2 in Big Ten home games.

You would be very hard pressed to find a MSU fan who is chalking up a W in Madison this year. I really don't think some of you realize how difficult winning in the Kohl Center has become.......but I guess you willl see next season.

Looking forward to that one.

9. Bob in Houston

Yeah, fits the definition of "glum."

My UCLA friend attributed the recent slug of Texas mediocrity to normal ups and downs of the schedule.

They really do need the minutes that GJ will contribute, even if he starts out at less than 10.

10. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Who is guaranteeing MSU is going to beat Wisconsin in Madison?

I'm saying MSU is a better team than Wisconsin, and will finish ahead of them in the Big Televen.

Do you understand the disconnect between those two points of view?

I don't need an education about Wisconsin's home record. I understand they play well at home. It doesn't make me think any better about them as a team.

11. Bob in Houston

12. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

13. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

Well, in three months we'll know. I'll be glad to take my lumps if I'm wrong, but if you're still posting here, you can be certain you'll hear about it if I'm right.

14. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

The Badgers are a well disciplined, well coached team with deceptive talent. I would not be surprised to see them contend for their conference title.