Houston Baptist Game

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by flash34, Nov 16, 2016.

1. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Lots of observations from watching the game on Longhorn Channel today. The one that jumped out to me is that Jada Underwood will be a key contributor as the season goes along. She has a good handle, seems confident, is a good free throw shooter, and is willing to mix it up inside and outside. We really need a guard that can match up with a big guard/small forward. She has a skill set we don't have anywhere else.

• Like Like x 5
  2. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Jada looked good. Joyner showed off her skills and potential, but did miss a lot of shots. Audrey-Anne also had some really good moves. LaShawn (still seemingly far down in the rotation) shined today in her passing and assists, though her long shot wasn't going in. Nell Fortner bragged on her a lot, but did comment on her not getting that many minutes.

3. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I seen progress in Texas.Much more Energy.Post player's were really active.I think Texas really could be successful at pressing and trapping more this year.
    Hookem'

4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

It's much more difficult to press good teams. I still think that this team is going to struggle against Msu on sunday and the rest of that non conference schedule.

5. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I haven't watched the HB game yet but I am very frustrated and perplexed why Higgs isn't getting her share of minutes. The speed of the game changes when she gets on the court. On defense, she's an asset at creating turnovers by stealing the ball from the dribbler or intercepting a pass. I know she needs to work on her outside shot but she's also one of the best at driving to the basket and pulling up with a jumper or going in for a lay up.

On another topic, does it seem like Hosey has regressed from last year? I've only watched the Tarleton and Stanford games but something about her level of play is down from last season.

It's early in the season and I realize there is a learning curve for the coaches as they try to find the best combinations and for the players as the get into the groove of playing basketball again.

6. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

On the flip side, I'm perplexed why I keep seeing a "Foman" jersey on the screen so often. She keeps getting blocked or knocked down trying to go for a layup.

• Like Like x 2
  7. LutherIsMyDog

I agree. I like Foman but I don't understand why she gets more minutes than Higgs. The coaches must have reasons beyond ability and talent from which they make their decisions. Last year, Higgs scored 19 points against UConn and was one of the main reasons we remained competitive in that game. She was also named to the regional all tournament team after our Elite 8 appearance.

Hopefully, her play will earn her more minutes or other players will be so dominate that we will not have to question the coaches' decisions.

8. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

In the HB game Higgs actually played 1 more minute than Tasia. But lets not forget that there is a practice element here. For all we know, she could be executing/running the offense/defending better than Lashann and that could lead to the break up of minutes. Coach is here to win, so I don't see her playing one player over another for any other reason than that.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LutherIsMyDog

You are correct, that's why I said there must be reasons beyond talent and ability that lead to the coaches' decisions on personnel.

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

and not to forget that Tasia is primarily a PG and Brooke's backup while LaShann is a wing (SG/SF) who occasionally plays PG. They are not really competing for minutes at the same spot. I have to admit that I had expected LaShann to be starting.

11. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

But Tasia's minutes were earlier in ;the game and Higgs minutes were mostly in mop up at the end with the second teamers. It really makes me mad that coach won't play higgs more - she completely changes the game when she is on the court.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

So far, Higgs still can't shoot effectively from outside. If she is to be truly effective, other scorers and shooters have to be on the floor to open up the defense so Higgs can drive.

13. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

If you watch the Houston Baptist game.......it becomes obvious who will be rising and falling in the rotation soon. Early in the year, the coaches will give all an opportunity to show. I am going to try and not be specific to which players need to go down the rotation and why. It is obvious to all. I DO think Holmes, Underwood, ACG, and Sutton will rise in the pecking order. Higgs is a wild card that I think will go up and down all season. KG is still an unknown until she can play. It is REAL early .....and for team building.....all need to play. That really produces some ragged play at times. It would be nice to have a tight, 8 or 9 player rotation immediately......but that is unrealistic. The coaches and players KNOW who will be playing when it matters. Early season play just reinforces that for all. I am going to relax and breathe and watch it play out.......and not be critical of our players. They are all trying hard.

• Like Like x 4