Houston Breakfast Tacos

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by DrPepperHorn, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

As a rule good taquerias have ****** coffee-
    there a place on the hempstead highway around 34th-- it has it all--homemade tortillas, good choziro, made right then, good picadillo,

and real breakfast tacos have beans on them--right next to the huevos and chorizo

Anyone ever had soft chicarones? Now that's real authentic-- pork skins, with water added to the to swell up then fried with onions, peppers and tomatoes--

Chilicheas are often for breakfast as well

2. GHOST HORN

GHOST HORN 100+ Posts

i 2nd Alamo tacos. there is also a location on berry road, up there by crosstimbers area.

both of these are 2-3 miles East of downtown. the first one is on leeland/telephone. right as the street changes names. if coming from downtown, it is on the left hand side (pink building) it says panaderia, but it is all tacos only.

this other one is named los charros. it is on harrisburg, right before wayside. once again on the left hand side if driving from downtown.

now before you get to los charros, there are some train tracks. before those train tracks there is a red/yellow converted bus. it is calls tacos d'mundo. now this is straight up mexico. they have tripita tacos.

also on cullen, north of 45 from UH campus. there is a kroger, across the street is another little stand. they sell these tacos called tacos koke, or something like that. it is cheesey and greasy. i don't think they are open for breakfast though. if you go there on a friday night, people are sitting out there in lawn chairs, drinking mexican sodas and tearing up some mean tacos.

you guys are right, these threads do make one hungry.

3. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

I hear they have great breakfast tacos in Alaska.

4. huge

huge 250+ Posts

went to la flor last sunday......good stuff.

5. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

There's a Texaco Station on US 59 almost to Sugarland behind the Marriott Courtyard...great breakfast tacos.[​IMG]

Hook'em!!![​IMG]

6. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

The pink taco stand across from the courthouse sucks. Ninfa's has good breakfast tacos. The original on Navigation serves breakfast all the time. The other Ninfa's are very hit and miss.

Villa Arcos on Navigation has great breakfast tacos. I also second Taqueria La Flor on Washington. Texas Tamale Factory on Studewood and 11th has great breakfast tacos as well.

Here are some addresses:

Alamo Tacos 2310 Navigation Blvd
    Villa Arcos 3009 Navigation Blvd
    Ninfa's 2704 Navigation Blvd
    Taqueria La Flor 4328 Washington Ave
    Texas Tamale Factory 1050 Studewood St

7. texfight2003

texfight2003 25+ Posts

My double secret location for breakfast is Los Charros on Shepherd and Feagan , just north of St. Thomas High. They have a special every morning consisting of a generous portion of eggs scrambled with bacon or ham, refied beans, and papas fritas, six tortillas and very good salsa. All that for $1.99. I can make six tacos out of this breakfast plate. Don't know, you might call that a bargain. Coffee isn't too bad , either.
    Right down on the corner of Washington and Shepherd is El Rey. I pass up the breakfast tacos and eat the Cuban tacos or some of their regular tacos for breakfast such as, tempura fried shrimp with cilantro cream sause. Good stuff.
    If you want to make the grand tour, go a block or two towards downtown on Washington and La Flor will be on your left and Laredo will be on your right. Proceed down Washington about a mile or so and Washington turns into Franklin which turns into Navigation in about two miles. You are now in"Taco City" - lots of possibilities.

8. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

New one to report: Brothers Taco House on the corner of Leeland and Dowling just east of Downtown. Great breakfast tacos. Try the migas taco. Their tortillas are some of the best.

9. thornhorn

thornhorn 25+ Posts

On the Northwest side of town there is Fiesta Taco on 34th Street about 3 blocks northeast of 290, seems like the cross street might be Antoine. I can't remember exactly. It's pretty damn good.

10. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

Tried Brother Tacos today off of Leeland. Great stuff. Terrific variety. Potato and egg rules! Salsa is extra hot.

DPH

11. DrPepperHorn

DrPepperHorn 100+ Posts

I made two trips to Goode Company Taqueria off of Kirby this past weekend. Their venison sausage, egg and cheese tacos are tops. If you haven't been there, make the effort and go!

12. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

Porras Prontito

6301 Market; 713-673-0727

Everyone can thank me later.

Carne Guisada or Potato / Bacon / Bean, best in Houston. The tamales taste dry to me, but why split hairs.

God Bless Texas !

[​IMG]

13. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

I've also got a new one to report:

Chilosos Taco House
    (713) 868-2273
    701 E 20th St (a couple blocks west of N. Main/Studewood)

Great breakfast tacos in the Heights area.

14. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

There's a place on Berry St. off of the Hardy Toll Road where they make unbelievable breakfast tacos! Just allsome! But no one, and I mean no one speaks a word of English in there. I say one word when I go in there, "Tacos," I hold up how many, and I point to what I want. It makes me socially frustrated as hell but damn those tacos are good. I think I'll have some tomorrow.

15. tx 3 putt

tx 3 putt 100+ Posts

No english is usually a good indicator of great tacos about to be served.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree 100+ Posts

Harry's in Midtown, near Westheimer does a nice job.

17. oak forest horn

oak forest horn 100+ Posts

Brothers Tacos are best ones near downtown. The tortillas are made fresh each morning by hand. Try the barbacoa tacos. They are very lean and don't have the grease dripping after each bite.
    Fiesta Taco is located on near the corner of Mangum and 34th St. It is just east of the intersection behind the Jack in the Box. I live a few miles away and it is good stuff on the weekend. Again tortillas made by hand on site. Doesn't get much better than that.
    Also, I haveen't been in a while, but Spanish Flower in THe Heights made a mean breakfast on the cheap.

18. biggie

biggie 25+ Posts

Ollie, you're thinking of Texas Taco. Besides the 2 locations you mentioned they're also on Fairbanks near Breen. It's my favorite (mainly out of convenience) and they have great flour tortillas.

There's a place on 529 (near Oceaneering and Weatherford) called Rudy's Tacos (I think) and is connected to a Conoco station - I really liked their chorizo and egg. Only been there once though.

Fiesta Taco is alright. It's located at 34th and Mangum behind the Jack in the Box.

19. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Spanish Flower has been going downhill lately.

20. stillaphlopin

stillaphlopin 25+ Posts

Villa Arcos accross the original Nifa's on Navigation. Get the superbacon.

21. pigboy1

pigboy1 25+ Posts

Still searching for good tacos in the Spring/Klein/Champions area...any advice?

22. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

I agree with Chacho's on westheimer near the galleria....damn good!!!

23. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Do people read previous posts before they post? [​IMG]