Houston Christian @ Texas 12/21/2022

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Dec 21, 2022.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Pretty clean game overall. It was nice to see the youngsters get lots of minutes and become more comfortable... same with Hadi. She gets better each time out. I know it hasn't been against B12 caliber competition, but right now I think it's all about building individual confidence and confidence in each other. With these games I'm looking for improvements in the details and I'm seeing some of that... especially defensively. Good focus and nice team win going into the break.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Jak looked a LOT better today.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Vic was certainly in a more relaxed mood on the sideline today and he and the coaching staff had on matching casual sportswear instead of dressy clothes. Interesting

• Like Like x 2
  4. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Houston Christian is a terrible team. 4-A high school teams would beat them. But - hopefully the game gave Texas a chance to continue to get in a groove before conference play.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

The high school comment is obvious hyperbole, but yes, HCU isn't in our league. The point of games like this is to work on your own deficiencies and issues against an opponent who isn't a threat to actually win the game. Thus, @brnkj said what he said in the first couple of sentences of his post.

Look for our own improvement, look for a lack of mistakes, focusness, and clean execution. Look for quality minutes from the bench to help build depth. We got all of that and so the game served its purpose.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Thanks. I understand how pre-conference scheduling works and how - after a blood bath against an enormously inferior team - we all catch ourselves posting the obvious.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  7. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

8. UrsusArctos

UrsusArctos 100+ Posts

I always feel a little bit dirty after a game like that, like we’re the big kid who pushed down the little kid and stole her chicken nuggets or something. But I guess both teams go into the game understanding what it’s going to be like, and using it as a teaching tool in whatever way will best benefit their program.

Also, often enough, a small school shows up with a badass senior class and puts the fear of god in you (don’t want to see the ticker at the bottom of ESPN showing us beaten by Tiny A&M at Peoria with their little skinny Irish chicks.) I do appreciate the lack of stress when we get way ahead, and while most call “good” games the close ones, I prefer the blowouts. Way more fun and easier on my aging cardiac system.

Loved seeing Anissa and Femme score some points! They may not be highlight reel studs for the program but they do quietly contribute and love to see the rest of the team supporting them and excited for them in their efforts.

Finally, really appreciate Vic Schaefer teams, they always get better as the season goes on. Texas has certainly had teams when that was not the case, so glad we got Vic!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

My friends know me as a 'glass half empty' kind of guy so even in a game like yesterday, I can find something bothering me. Rori's turnovers the last couple of games. She had a career high 8 against USC and then 4 against HCU. The 8 was a bit concerning but I wrote that off as a result of the half court trap that Texas was obviously not prepared to handle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Yes, that stat stood out to me also... very puzzling.

• Like Like x 1
  11. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Somehow, after beating HCU yesterday we climbed 11 spots in the NET ranking and now sit at #15. We surpassed UNC, Baylor, and TENN to name a few. HCU is RPI #283…

this has to be an error.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

South Florida beat #17 Arkansas, maybe that helped us a bit too

• Like Like x 3
  13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

HC in WAY over their heads...
    Horns dominating early 2nd half 46-12...

14. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Rori is playing sick with a cold/bug thingy. I’m going to chalk it up to that.

• Like Like x 2