Houston Marathon / Half Marathon Roll Call

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MirrOlure, Jan 10, 2008.

1. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

7,000 Marathoners

10,000 Half-Marathoners

Certainly some of the 17,000 runners are HornFans posters....

I'll be running the full, which will be my second (Austin '07).

2. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

Awesome! I didn't sign up in time for the 1/2 and thank goodness for it (virus). Good luck on finishing.

3. nych 1

nych 1 250+ Posts

Good luck, I have committed to running my first marathon in September (Maui)- the longest I have ever run is 10 miles.

Did you run with a marathon training group and do have any recommended books on marathon training?

4. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

5. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

nych, I'd start by purusing the Runner's World and the RunTex (especially if you live in Austin) websites. They'll both point you toward some good group training programs and schedules you can do on your own.

6. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Not living in a major metropolitan area, I don't have access to an organized running club.

If you are in the same boat, I highly recommend using Hal Higdon's book and/or online service. He is absolutely the best "national" guy for beginners.

His program is an 18 week program, which emphasises the long run on weekends, and at least 3 other runs of shorter and varying distances during the week. His longest run in any level program is 20 miles, and he is a strong advocate of the 3 week taper, where you run 20/12/8 on the three weekends prior to the race.

He also offers loads of advice. Any question you can possibly think of is answered in his book or his daily e-mails, if you sign up for the service.

Maybe you're one of the gifted few "uberathletes" who can just roll up and float through 26.2.

But if you're anything like me (and I didn't start running till I was 39), you've got to have a regimented program in order to pull it off.

I followed his Beginner program almost to the letter, and did Austin in 3:58 last year (a little over 9:00/mile). I'm reasonably hoping for 3:50 at Houston this year.

7. mez2

mez2 100+ Posts

i'll be running it.

8. HoustonHorn93

HoustonHorn93 250+ Posts

My wife is running it so I'll be out there with the kiddos all day. I did the 1/2 last year.

9. spidey69

spidey69 100+ Posts

Training questions. Use Hal Higdon. Google it. He has enough free information to get you through it. I always trained up using the Novice program as a 'guide'. Your body will respond. Don't push the training pace. Just get those miles in.

10. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

I'll be running the half again this year...last year was a blast. All the hard work and training to run it pays off when you see the thousands of people cheering everyone on at the finish and all along the course. It's good times out there.

11. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

registered for the half. doubtful I will be there.

12. mez2

mez2 100+ Posts

just got back from running the full; 3:45:22

im hurting

13. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

Just curious as to how one gets started with something like this.

14. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

I'll tell you how I got started. I am a beginner triathlete. My first event will be on March 29 at the Lonestar Sprint Triathlon at Moody Gardens in Galveston. Why I chose to do this has pretty much always been in me. I am a goal-driven person and I look at life like a game and accomplishing a physical feat is my favorite game to play.

I did a Google search for triathlon events in 2008 in Houston, TX and found the Lonestar event. I then saw that part of the event was sponsored by a website that caters to the needs of triathletes. I logged onto the site and have since then found ways to train, what equipment to get, and have found groups in Houston dedicated to training by way of that site’s message board. There are marathon groups in every major city and in varying areas of that city.

There are sport-specific stores in and around every city as well. On the Run, Fleet Feet, and Runner’s Fleet are stores in Houston that are running-specific. There’s also Pearland Cycles, Bike Barn, and other cycling stores in Houston that cater to cyclists. If you’re coming up empty on internet searches, go to these stores and talk to the owners because they operate the store and are usually there. The people who work at these shops are not like other employees who work at electronic stores, clothing stores, etc. They’re working there because it is their passion. They will be able to give you information on groups in the area (they are usually a member) and have a list of upcoming events.

When you find the sport you want to do whether it be running, cycling, or triathlons do not buy the most expensive equipment or the cheapest just to save. There is body-specific equipment for these sports and you need to find the shoes that fit you best (I have low arches) or the saddle for your butt on a bike (varying cushions).

To sum up:
    1. Find an event.
    2. Find the sport-specific site or sport-specific store.
    3. Find various methods of training (posting or join a group).

15. The Bandit

The Bandit 100+ Posts

TXbabe,

I've ran 4 marathons over the past 10 years. I've used books, running clubs and online running guides. For first time runners, I'd strongly suggest signing up at the nearest USAfit program near you USAFIT

USAfit is probably the biggest program for marathon running. I believe the Memorial Park club (Houston) is well over 1000 members. USAFit starts up around june-july for the Houston Marathon. You will be grouped based on your speed. For example something like 10-12 minute pace (per mile) groups, 8-9 minute per mile groups etc.

USAfit meets every Saturday morning for a run. They start out at about 3 miles in july and end at a 20 mile run about a month before the marathon. After the Saturday run, USAfit will have a seminar on a particular topic, such as shoes, stretching, hydration etc. You will also get a weekly calender of mileage you should run during the week.

If you follow their schedule you will complete the marathon, assuming you don't have an injury.

My other suggestion is to buy the shoes that fit your feet the best. Don't buy based on price on what your friends wear. I'd also suggest buying the shoes at a running store, like Fleet Feet or Luke's Locker in Houston.

If you're like me, I never thought I could run 26 miles. I started out at 3 miles and was exhausted. Before long I was at 6 miles, then 10. Once you get to 18-20, you be able to do the entire 26. Once you get through the summer heat/humidity you'll be fine.

If you do run the marathon, you'll find it to be one of the most rewarding events in your life. Don't worry about your time, just enjoy the moment and reflect on the previous 6 months of training you endured.

If you're in Houston,this is also a good program. It's much smaller than USAfit Kenyan Way

16. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

3:57:56.

Bested my Austin finish by about 1:20.

Paid a helluva price for that 1:20...came away dehydrated and felt like dog crap the entire afternoon evening.

But woke up this morning feeling much better, and after the 5:30 massage, my quads ought to be ready to go!

Excellent event. Good job, Houston!

17. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

Congratulations on a personal best, MirrO. I'm going to gun for it next year. After watching 13's coverage, I am hooked...there were some really hot girls in that marathon yesterday.

18. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

19. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Amen to that last part, BV...I have a friend who, before yesterday, had run 4 previous marathons, all at 5:00 or longer.

Well, she really put her heart and sole into this one (beginning back in the summer), and finished at just under 4:30. You should have seen her after the race. It was something special.

20. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

21. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

Hah..I said she put her "heart and sole" into it.

I was going to edit it to read "soul", but on second thought.........

22. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Congrats to all who ran. Done four myself including San Diego last June(?). Nothing quite like the accomplishment of 1) finishing and 2) being pleased with your time.

23. Bluepies

Bluepies Guest