Houston nightlife

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by unpaintedhuffhines, Oct 18, 2007.

1. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

Will be in Houston Saturday night for the Titans/Texans game. Staying at Hotel ZaZa and am looking for some places to go out on sat night. I've been out downtown but not in a couple of years. What are some cool places to go? Not looking for an oonst oonst club. Lounge/bar type places.

2. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

i have had a good time at kobain the 3-4 times i've been there over the last year but usually go with a group of people. good porch and good indoor seating. however, i must say i just looked at the website and the way it is represented is douchetastic.

i can say that i don't usually go out downtown in houston but the state bar & lounge at the rice hotel was a good time, again with a group. christian's tailgate is also really fun for a drunk night. karaoke and some good eye candy when i've been.

a couple outside of downtown honorable mentions:

kelvin arms - unique, great scotch selection, low key, good juke
    marquis 2 - college dive, dingy, low ceilings, tons of college aged drunk girls, strongest long islands ever (puts the old buffalo to shame)

be wary of midtown. it will have the highest concentration of people but it can suck too. some d-bag wouldn't let me in the bar about 6 months ago because i was wearing a pair of kangaROOS.

3. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

kay's, han's bier haus, gingerman are all within manageable distance from zaza. or you can go on the other side of 59 and visit lizzard's. all those places are pretty laid back.

4. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

forgot about kay's and the rice gingerman is always a good choice as well.

5. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

6. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

yeah, along with my kaepas and jams. come on, they are a new pair of roos - they're great. they just didn't look like the bouncers sketchers / steve maddens / whatever.

7. MirrOlure

MirrOlure 500+ Posts

...Club
    No Minors

8. Bernard

Bernard 1,000+ Posts

Dare to venture a bit off the beaten path...

The Flat - on Commonwealth just a couple hundred yards south of W. Gray. - small, laid back lounge. Sould have NFL highlights on the lone TV. Food too.

La Carafe - downtown on Market Square - a true Houston institution. Cash only.

Absinthe - highly recommended - 609 Richmond - between Montrose and 59 - it's hard to find, worth it - there's no sign on the door - it's in a little commercial building at Richmond at Greeley. This place is about a two minute drive from your hotel. Food too.

Zimm's - nice lounge although the music can be a bit loud. Excellent sidewalk seating on Montrose. Less than two minutes from your hotel.

Poison Girl - on Westheimer across from Mark's - hang out with some punk chicks and play one of their 7-8 pinball machines.

FYI - Main Street downtown has gotten pretty ghetto. Steer clear.

Bernard

9. huge

huge 250+ Posts

i am going to let you in on a little secret

go to absinthe. best lounge in the area.

if not absinthe, the harp is a good bar.

10. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

11. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

Seeing as I don't live in Houston I may be off, but Marfreless has usually been a good time as well.

12. TXHookem

TXHookem 1,000+ Posts

Not solo

13. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

too late for your Sat. night, but my question would be why would you leave the ZaZa? Shoulda gone and grabbed a beer or two somewhere late in the afternoon, dinner at place of choice and then ride the elevator down to Za Za bar. No brainer.

14. TXBabe97

TXBabe97 250+ Posts

club no minor is a Houston institution!!!