Houston @ Tulane

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Statalyzer, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Seriously, it looks like Oklahoma is playing North Carolina out there because of the jerseys.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Tulane trying to bring back some Mack mojo

3. #2is#1

#2is#1 1,000+ Posts

Houston looks like the Jamaican 4x100 relay team vs Tulane.
    Huge difference in speed

4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Houston blew it so bad at the end. Settling for a FG due to an unforced drop of a TD pass. Then two guys allowing the long TD, one by bumping without wrapping up and the other by not diving from behind. Then on the kick return the dude runs into a bunch of defenders and goes down rather than tossing the ball backwards to keep things alive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

You might enjoy this:

TL;DR: Kicking a field goal near the end of a close game actually DECREASES your chances of winning. Put 3 points on the board, more likely to lose. Seems crazy eh?

6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Think Houston was in better hands with major. Speaking of Houston hope all you in the area are okay down there.

7. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Thanks, it was pretty gnarly yesterday. I live on the north side of Angleton* and work in Greenway Plaza (and yes, I know, that's a crazy commute). If I had known yesterday morning that Houston was in for another round of heavy rainfall I would have worked from home. As it was, I was wondering if I was going to have to spend the night at the office. But by 3:30 the rain had slackened and the water on the streets had receded (in this part of H-town, at least), and I had no trouble navigating on Edloe/Bissonnet/Kirby/Loop 610 to get to SH 288 (just had to steer around some minor debris and stalled cars). People inside the Loop trying to head west had a much harder time of it because I-10 was totally underwater at Loop 610; so westbound lanes of Bissonnet and Westpark were backed up (and there were the usual number of traffic lights that fail whenever we get rain, which adds to the traffic fun on the surface streets). And people on I-45 (the North Freeway) were totally bonked because that roadway was deeply underwater at North Main (spillover from White Oak Bayou). They said on the news there were people stuck there for over 9 hours, waiting for the water to go down.

The good news (such as it is) is that the catastrophic flooding isn't as widespread as it was during Harvey, nor was it spread out over as many days. Hoorah for that.

*We had "only" 8 or 9 inches in our neighborhood, which our drainage system can usually handle without problems. Once again, we were lucky.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Although they were down 3 with under half a minute left.

And as it turns out, they probably lose even if the WR catches the touchdown pass, just 38-35 instead of 38-31.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  9. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Between the Ed Oliver drama and then being completely de-pantsed by Army in their bowl game, it sure looked to me like Major had lost the team.

10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Maybe you're right, but I've never understood this. I would like to think players want to win whether or not they like the coach.

11. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

I'd like to think that as well, but I'm also transported back to my late teens and early 20's regarding teachers I had in high school and college. The more I liked the teacher the better I did in their class. What was true for me certainly may not be true for everyone but regarding players and coaches, I'm reminded of the coup staged by Mackovic's players at Arizona. The gist of that was that he was such a demoralizing presence that many of them stated they no longer enjoyed playing the game.

I don't know what happened at Houston or what kind of relationship Major had with his players, but clearly some things fell apart at the end of his tenure.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Probably right. UH defense is bad..No wonder Hurts looked like a Heisman winner against them. When you give up 70 to Army, you kinda suck....

13. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Off the top of my head, 2018 was probably the best Army team since 1945 and they gave top 5 OU all they wanted. Anyways...
    a little love for the black knights :hookem:

Hoooah!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

If your new coach wins less games than the guy you just fired, you got the wrong guy. See: Charlie Strong.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Top 5 OU had a defense that sucked too, if you will remember !!!!