How About Some Smart Play Calling?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Texdoc, Dec 3, 2011.

1. Texdoc

Texdoc 500+ Posts

Gosh Dangit, 2:00 minutes left in half.
    4 point lead at own 20, & you don't try clock spending running plays until you get close to midfield?
    Poor attempt to get too cute by Harsin.
    First play run for 5 yds & clock is moving just in case.
    Then a shovel pass ??? (incomplete-luckily)
    Then the stupid pick 6 throw (almost)
    Anyway - I was pissed at that series. I would've run out half with lead -at worst.

We MUST play smarter in situational moments.

ALSO -until then I even admire Case taking a sack at times insread of throwing picks.

I was neutral for a long time (QB wise), but now I just cringe when Ash comes into the game. I wish they would get him some experience in mop up situations. Otherwise, I'm for riding Case all 4 downs. JMHO.

HOOK 'EM,
    Texdoc [​IMG]

2. where_are_my_8s

where_are_my_8s 250+ Posts

It was a bad read not a bad play call. Have a clue. Some people are here are stupid and can only react once something happens.

3. Texdoc

Texdoc 500+ Posts

Well, then get a clue.
    I said we shouldn't have thrown on 2nd down to precede that. We picked up 5 on 1st down. The proper call would've been to run the ball again.

HOOK 'EM,
    Texdoc [​IMG]

4. where_are_my_8s

where_are_my_8s 250+ Posts

Then don't list the 3rd down call.

5. orangecat1

orangecat1 500+ Posts

well, I was calling for running the clock down with mostly running plays the prior series, but then Gideon intercepted after the fumble by Case(I think). So, I'm thinking, okay now with 2:00 left they will get smart and run the clock down, punt and we'll have the lead at half.

Nope.

6. brntorng

brntorng 2,500+ Posts

The almost pick 6 was a poor call under the circumstances, the route was poorly run, and the pass had no zip making it an easy pick. What's not to like? If you're Baylor...

7. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The call was not bad. It was a poor pass, late throw, with nothing on it. An easy int. Much like the other ints.

8. drewbleedsorange

drewbleedsorange 100+ Posts

Both Diaz and Harsin did a below par job today.

9. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

The game was well called today. It was a piss poor performance by the starting QB. CONSTANTLY underthrowing recievers and the worst throw's were when you have a wide open shipley and he was to wait FOREVER for the ball to get there and hence the pick (4 or 5 I can't remember it was so many)

And when a ball actually does get to a reciever...ie..Ash's pass in the start of the 4th to Goodwin...they drop them.

Fact is we need MORE TALENT all over the field on offense. Harsin did a good job calling plays, but it's tough when your starting qb can't throw the ball more than 30 yards.

McCoy lite has a TON of heart, but just not the tools to get it done.

10. nwking

nwking 250+ Posts

Throwing the ball with the lead and right before the half was stupid. As the series was about to begin I was yelling CODY! Hit the locker room with the lead and we had the 1st possession in the 2nd half. May not have changed the end result but it certainly changed the play calling for both teams in the 3rd qtr.

11. SlingeroGuitaro

SlingeroGuitaro 250+ Posts

12. 426TPT

426TPT 25+ Posts

Young QB, on the road, rain, bad field position, clock under 2, receiving 2nd half, fortunate to be ahead.

Take the lead into the locker room. Come out pounding the ground just as we started, their defense had been out there alot, see if they can stop you. Then get "cute", if you have to. The middle of their D was getting soft and they were having a hard time speedwise on the edges.

Agree with Texdoc.

13. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

14. HornsForever'93

HornsForever'93 1,000+ Posts

I agree with the criticism of Harsin. His attempts at being cute are damn stupid. We have a lead and Baylor can't stop the run, why pass??? I am really beginning to wonder how good he is

15. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Cody should have run the ball 40 times on Saturday!!!

16. 426TPT

426TPT 25+ Posts

I'm glad we have Harsin, hell elated even. These are just growing pains on the way to really understanding on when to get "cute". Kinda like understanding the wind in Lubbock. I like his play diagrams, and one day he's gonna put it all together with the playcalling side and personnel. Then it'll be "Lights Out!".

Disclosure: Not his agent, not even an AD CFO.

17. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts