How Bad do you Want Ewers?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Dec 7, 2021.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

it seems like we should get all players from the portal if they can only move once?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Machiavellian, I like it

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

Because Ewers is deemed such a stud, I hope he comes to Texas. Lord knows we need more talent. But if he doesn't? MEH. Life goes on.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

I'm glad we got the proper logo on the helmet this year. Rumor has it there will be a uniform update in 22 or 23.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

So riddle me, why am I starting to have a negative feeling about all this drama around Ewers defection from tOSU?

Perhaps I am full it?

Why then did Ryan Perriloux cross my mind re: Ewers I first heard he going portal and was reconsidering UT?

Entitled headcase diva or the next VY?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  6. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Will new unis be woke?
    Will new duds inspire inclusion?
    Will us old time uni purists like me approve?

Asking for 2 friends.

• Funny Funny x 3
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  7. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I think your concerns are justified. We just don’t know and clearly he’s a mercenary. He wouldn’t come to Texas because he loves Texas…unless that changes once he’s here. That would be a best case.

But I do believe that if he chooses Texas it will supercharge the program, solidify the Sark era and dramatically shorten the time it takes to return to relevance. (With Ewers and a few others who might choose Texas because of him, Texas might be relevant by 23 and just maybe even next season.)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps I am trying to find the silver lining, but I have to think that Sark (or someone) has talked to both Todd & Riley about the kid, his ego, his parents, his intentions before making a move.

There is a crazy rumor going around about Arch, so I encourage everyone to remember that Todd Dodge is retiring after this season. Only question is whether or not Riley becomes the third generation to be HC at Westlake.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Responses:
    1. They are fine "as is". So, no change needed.
    2. Not sure how they are exclusionary if left as they are now.
    3. Gotta see what they look like first.

10. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

I know highlights can be misleading but…
    Casey Thompson, when healthy, looks like a pretty good college quarterback.
    Maalik Murphy looks like a really good high school quarterback.
    Quinn Ewers looks like an NFL quarterback.
    Therefore if quarterback was our only issue, we get this guy, we’re set.
    But we know it’s not.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ATX_Horns

ATX_Horns 250+ Posts

Can you share the Arch rumor with the understanding that it’s just a rumor? In our favor or not ? More curious about where he goes vs Ewers and if Ewers coming here effects where Arch goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

The Quinn Ewers saga has a surprisingly simple explanation.
    The Ewers have always wanted to be in Texas. More important than the drama with Tom and the team was the fact that, at the time, the state of Texas was dragging their feet on allowing players to benefit from NIL. In Ohio...this was already green lighted. The Ewers camp felt strongly about this issue ..and not just from a monetary standpoint (they arent poor btw)..but a principled conviction, as well...as best we can tell.
    He went to Ohio...signed a fat deal...saw the State of Texas open up NIL and he was going to sit behind a successful freshman QB with 3 years eligibility left....and decided going back where he wanted all along-the State of Texas- was now an opportuned thing to do.
    Either the Ewers are brilliant and prescient, calculated strategists..or they are a pretty normal family who desires to make the most of the rules, constraints, and opportunities set before them.
    I personally see nothing in this to suggest he is a diva nor will be flighty or fickle..and I'm old school. I believe the Ewers are serious about their business...and Quinn was raised likewise, and whoever gets him will be the beneficiaries of this mentality.
    Here's to the good guys...
    :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 5
  14. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I saw a post with a Twitter link yesterday that claimed Ewers to Texas was a done deal. He was just waiting for the NIL money to be agreed on. I’m sure that the guy posting the Tweet probably has as much inside info as I do, but I do agree that college football is headed in that direction. The school with the richest, most rabid fans is going to get the five stars.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I think he finalizes his NIL Saturday and then announces his commitment……..recommitment :hookem:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Using a sliver of common sense, if the family was driven to sit him out his senior year and maneuver in such a way that the NIL was maximized, then we have to assume they still want to maximize the money. UNLESS, they are happy with what they have and are now pivoting to the "fulfillment" route. So that comes down to the feeling of "home" when on campus and around the program. Winning is not a clear feather in our cap. We're struggling and they know it. So in the end, the future at Tech or UT could be a career in the middle of a transitional phase for the programs on the field.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

SH, from someone who knows Riley and the SLC program:

“Riley’s only move would be to College. Just built a new house, got a fat raise and loves it here. Todd had ties to Westlake because of his father in law, not his father. Elizabeth’s dad was the AD and she was from there. Riley’s only toes there are his folks, and we are hearing they may move back here to be by the grandkids.”

18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

If true and if some of the other targeted recruits will also be in Austin Saturday it might just be a awfully good day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

You guys mention Arch.
    Raises the question...What is known by the staff about Arch..who would they rather have...and how might the two recruitments (Arch and Ewers) be affecting one another.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree with Rain's view; however, after watching him in 4 high pressure games, I have seen nothing to distinguish him from any other upper-level HS QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Or perhaps both. Sure, I’m crazy. But the timing could work.

Ewers plays for two years then leaves for the NFL after 2023. That would mean that if Manning redshirted in 2023, he would be the guy in 24.

Crazy? Maybe…

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duke,

I agree with everything you wrote. I agree that Todd & spouse love the Southlake area, so it would not surprise me if they move back there.

There is one of those "pay for my knowledge because I know what you don't" guys out there spreading a rumor about Arch's family. It came to me through a mutual friend, and I immediately shot holes in the rumor. I only posted to keep fellow HornFans friends from paying for totally erroneous information this time and probably several more times in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

That would be ideal and it might happen. However with the NIL Ewers might even play another year. Its possible

24. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Did I call him a turd earlier in this thread? I meant to say he seemed like a "stud" but I fat fingered it!

• Funny Funny x 6
  25. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I don’t think any school feels confident about Arch yet. You can’t pass on Quinn based on the hope you get Arch. All in on Quinn and let the chips fall where they may.

• Agree Agree x 7
  26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Poms, I did not anticipate the possibility of this HUGE side benefit of NIL:

Players staying in college the extra/4th year because of the financial rewards of doing so. Talk about unintended consequences! I have to wonder what Roger Goodell and the owners think about this. It's a fascinating and likely effect of NIL.

So instead of the NFL being driving the bus, they now will have real and serious competition because kids might want stay in school for "5" years if they are being paid to do so.

Talk about a far reaching game changer...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  27. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the pro's are ok with college kids staying in college longer. It means they'll be that much older and more mature. Especially in basketball where the one and done's may dwindle. Who wants to pay millions for someone who is years away from greatness?

• Like Like x 2
  28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

It's still likely to benefit an athlete ready for the pros to get into the league. Veteran contracts dwarf rookie contracts... the Cowboys are paying Jaylon Smith (out of the league) more than they pay Micah Parsons .a way better player but on a rookie deal

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Fascinating dynamic unless the NFL & Players Assoc renegotiate the CBA. Otherwise some — perhaps many — rookies will take a pay cut for a few years when the enter the league. A few players may choose to never move to the NFL if they have already stockpiled a chunk of money and want to do something else with their lives that is less dangerous.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

LOL. The word on the street is a return to burnt orange jerseys. And a more simplified look.

If true, I think purists will be pleased.

• Like Like x 5