How bad is this economy going to get?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by AustinHorn24, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Farmers are smarter and more resilient than you give them credit. For generations farmers have lived their lives and managed their farms in crisis mode pretty much all the time....droughts causing crops to fail or not have enough food to feed animals.....too much product causing prices to fall...hail killed their crops.....it goes on and on constantly for farmers.

A problem with liberals in general is you think farmers are a bunch of stupid rednecks who can't figure it out. In reality they are a pretty smart group who always figures it out to survive and pass the farm to the next generation while at the same time supplying everything Americans need.

Prices will be volatile until it all gets sorted out but they will get it done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

What the H are you talking about? Intelligence doesn't have a thing in the world to do with it. When the factories close, the producer's market shuts down. And what does supply chains have to do with liberalism or conservativism? Yeah, there may be a stupid redneck in here somewhere. Try the mirror.

3. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Read up on the Great Depression. Thousands of farmers lost everything as banks foreclosed. Many moved to California to escape the dust bowl. It doesn't matter how smart you are when you can't irrigate the crops in a drought and there is no market for your product.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Only March was big. So, normalized over 3 months would have been 39%

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

A tenant farmer of a large egg producer had people come in and gas thousands of chickens because the big commercial places are not ordering chickens. Grocery stores are empty of eggs but regulations for grocery stores prohibit eggs that were intended for commercial places to be sold in grocery stores.

MAYBE regs could be relaxed for a time. To destroy thousands of healthy chickens when eggs can be used elsewhere is insane and a waste

6. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Relax. You must think farmers are stupid rednecks. They always survive because they are so damn smart and circumstances don't matter.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Ohh, touched a nerve. You presented a problem that you think is going to be too difficult to figure out or overcome. It's too hard and too complex....we'll never recover...gloom and doom ****. I agreed there are problems but they will figure them out. It might take a while, but they'll figure it out.

For a long time you have fear mongered indicating your lack of belief that this country has any resiliency at all. In typical liberal fashion when I call you out on that you name call.

You see the great depression with gloom and doom. Your solution is more government control will fix it. I see a country that rebounded with optimism. Allow Americans the freedom to work through problems and we can fix any problem if you keep the meddling divisive government out of the way.

• Winner Winner x 4
  9. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

Show where I said more government control will fix the economic problems. I’ve always stated government control would expand. I never said it would solve anything.
    As far as name calling, I call it like I see it.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

City and County jobs are usually safe
    I dont about Bob, but the rest of them should be OK

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"If I am holding commercial real estate I would be dying. Every CEO comes on TV and says "I was amazed at how many people could work from home.""

12. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

You guys do realize that many Texas farmers are educated at aggyville, so stupid farmers is not a reach.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Digital sales at Target were up 275%

[​IMG]

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I suspect they only have 20% spare capacity. Also, as pointed out earlier, their sales to the commercial sector likely dropped. Finally, I understand they have very little inventory to convert to cash. So, maybe the limit is 20% higher.

16. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Can't happen soon enough IMO. I just hope he actually issues an order instead of plan to have a plan about a plan like the last time and then his big announcement was a bunch of nothing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Musburger1

Musburger1 2,500+ Posts

I’m afraid so. In private business, if the company is run well, the fat gets trimmed first. In bureaucracy, the essential people (trash pickup, road repair, etc) get cut first and the managers and those with titles hang on longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Opening the state parks was nice, but yeah it was overblown.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

good

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

So do I and here’s how I call it.
    You were just recently warned about the personal attacks and name calling. Enjoy your break.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

JF, it wouldn't surprise me if Sweden has as many or more cases as Michigan. But the unreported cases come from young people who have NO symptoms or very minimal symptoms. They won't be tested or counted. Sweden is specifically allowing schools to stay open to build herd immunity among the healthy.

But Sweden is actively protecting the old and vulnerable. That is why you don't see as many cases. Those who would demonstrate bad symptoms aren't getting infected. Michigan and the rest of the US isn't doing a good job of protecting those who most need it.

Whether you believe that or take the numbers at face value, Sweden is doing the right thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have argued for this from the outset.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Remember swamp draining?

26. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Great news. All you have to do is lose a massive amount of money in your business, and you too can have a tax deduction for less than 50% of the loss. What a great deal!:tap:

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

The PPP will no doubt result in abuse and fraud. I think the urgency in which it occurred coupled with the ever present political graft will cause this. However, it had to be done to prevent total collapse of the economy- which still may occur.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Some will probably try to fake some documents, but it won’t be easy and they are subjecting themselves to a jail sentence.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Non compliance or pushing the forgiveness covenants will be big catches. Most companies applied under multiple legal entities. But each entity will be held singularly. It will be tempting for cash pressed companies to spread the wealth to not repay unqualified loan forgiveness.

30. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I doubt that most companies applied under multiple legal entities.