How Big Is The Bama Game

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by MajorRules00, Dec 5, 2021.

1. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

After seeing Alabama dismantle Georgia yesterday...how big is next year's game? I'm thinking the biggest event at DKR since Nebraska in '99.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Really? Why? Who will seriously give Texas a chance to keep it within 3 TDs?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Certainly a big game. If — and that is a massive if — we can pull off an upset, the program would be off and running.

Based on what I know now, I agree with HIC; Keeping it within 3 TD will be a challenge.

But, if the Football Gods believe in the idea of things evening out, who knows? I believe that if Colt is not injured in the 2010 NC game, Texas wins that game. I’ve had knowledgeable Bama fans express the same opinion.

If there is any Karma, we will make it a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

We also saw Bama handled by an unranked aggy.
    That's why they play the game.
    Second game of the season so both teams will be looking to establish an identity.
    Not saying we'll win, but what a win that would be.
    Would set the mood for the rest of the season.
    I'll be watching blow out or not.

• Like Like x 3
  5. horninchicago

Hopefully you are correct. We all thought great things were in store with the big OT win against TD Jesus. Hopefully if we even keep it close next year, it gives us the boost we need.

6. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Because it's Texas vs. Alabama. Holy hell. Do we need to send the Defribulator up to Chicago?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. horninchicago

Maybe after I eat at Whataburger in Scottsdale tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Auburn had Bama on the ropes and failed to put them away.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Local radio suggested a couple days ago that we focus more time preparing for UTSA than Bama. They're thinking we get our asses kicked against Bama regardless, but if we lose to both Bama and UTSA it could be immediate "Fire Sark" type pressure and send the season into a tail spin again.

As bad as this team was this year I don't know if I disagree with that thought. I don't know anyone who actually believes we'll beat Bama but I can't imagine the anger if we start the season 1-2 next year heading to Lubbock the next week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bama is huge if we win, huge if we embarrass ourselves. We get beat by 20 and it's business as usual. Sad but true.

I look at that game a lot like I looked at the UCLA game in Mack's first year. We got utterly humiliated the year before, and had the same mismatches in the rematch. But the team fought back, played hard and showed a different attitude. I could be content with that because you could see where things were going. The Bama game is probably a pretty similar situation. At least I hope it is (or that we come out playing like maniacs and pull off the upset.)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

WOW! If you really beleive the team needs extra time to prepare for UTSA then it is my humble opionion that you already are on the fire Sark bandwagon. I am on record as being a part of that bandwagon, but just as I fully expect Bama to beat Texas by 3 TDs, I also fully expect Texas to beat UTSA by 3 or more TDs. Come on, things are not this bad where we have to worry about the Roadrunners.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Wow, go READ my post please. First it wasn't my opinion, it was someone else's who I'm not sure if I disagree with. Second, it's more about not letting the UTSA game get away from them because they were too focused on Bama.

If you think we can just show up to UTSA and win with this team then I can't help you. We just lost to F'n Kansas so yes they will need all of our focus.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Yep. In addition to the SEC champ visiting town, and the spectacle of two of the biggest brands in CFB squaring off...It's also a barometer game.

How far along are we?

14. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

If UTSA beats us, something needs to change. UTSA didn't look like they can hang with any b12 team in the 3 games I saw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Horn2RunAgain

TEXAS football is no longer one of the biggest brands. Talk to people around the country, we're somewhere between "a joke" and "underperformers". Not bashing us, just true

We still have the tag of February's national champs for some reason. I don't agree with it but it just more sand kicked on us

16. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Typically, a brand is defined by things like revenue, name recognition, and and general interest. According to those metrics, the UT brand is still one of the biggest out there.

I suppose you could argue that nobody will bother to watch Texas vs. Alabama next season. That it won't be hyped up, that the looming move to the SEC will have no impact, that SEC fans won't care, that the Big 12 fans/alums won't care, there won't be any kind of national attention, and that nobody will show up to the game. All that's pretty laughable. But, hey, it's a football message board. People say crazy #&%^ all the time.

All programs go through ups and downs. Take a look at Michigan. They finally got back into the big time after about a decade of irrelevance. And yet Georgia/Michigan is the game most people are drooling over.

If they can do it, so can we.

• Like Like x 2
  17. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

If joe Namath will take a breath and stop talking about Medicare for a moment, I’ll ask him what his thoughts are on Texas and this game.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

This is the attitude around our program that gets us beaten repeatedly. Jeff Traylor has his team playing very, very well, and there is no reason at all to roll out the "We're Texas" mentality. In fact, doing so would be near suicidal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

There have been other bigger games/events at DKR since 1999. 2006 versus Ohio State was two top three teams. Multiple matchups in 2008 were games with two top ten teams. I expect Bama to be about a 17.5 point favorite and it will be a fun atmosphere but Texas isn't relevant enough for it to be more than a big game. Now if Texas could pull off the upset and build on it.......

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

My prediction as a lifelong fan: We beat Bama and turn right around and lose to UTSA the following week

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Why is nobody mentioning Louisiana Monroe?

• Funny Funny x 3
  22. Horn2RunAgain

There's no "general interest" outside the state. Watch gameday on Saturday mornings, we're completely buried unless it's negative talk. We've underperformed for so long people don't talk about us anymore.

The moment we become a top ten program again, things will change. Until then, we're a forgotten product.

23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Gameday is becoming a forgotten product.
    If you don't think Bama v Texas draws interest you're crazy.
    Not to mention Sark v Saban.
    The stadium will be full and the nations football fans will be tuned in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

By the way....
    We are 7-1 against Bama.
    Only loss in the MNC after Colt was hurt.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Horn2RunAgain

Most people i speak with are in disbelief when I tell them our record vs Alabama. It's one of my favorite "did you know" thingys

They also don't care since it's been 40 years since we've beaten Alabama (thank you Robert Brewer and our awesome defense)

26. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

First of all...no burnt orange kool aid here...
    And I love the little guys.
    But just like vs Louisiana this year we will beat ULM and UTSA.
    It is one thing for UTSAs of the world playing teams like Georgia State and quite another to play even underperforming p5 schools with div 1 talent across the field.
    Can a program like the Cajuns pull an upset like they did when they caught Iowa St sleeping? Of course...
    But UTSA of 2021 is a far cry from Boise of early 2000s...far cry.
    And Utah of mid to late 2000s..or Cincy this year...whole different animals.
    Some of you are getting confused.
    Anything can happen...and we cannot sleep on ULM or UTSA..just as we didnt vs Louisiana this season...
    But...no...these are not what some of those other teams are/were and one shouldn't mix up the two.
    Texas should and likely will handle both UTSA and ULM fairly easily (as they would San Diego State or any of the others in that group)...and we shouldn't spend all off season wringing hands over it..
    The guys better be prepared, though, or...

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Good to walk down memory lane. Hard to believe that was 23 or 24 years ago. I remember tuning in with very low expectations and feeling really good about Mack, Opie, and our future when it was over.

I even remember feeling OK after Kansas St beat us by 7 TDs the following week. we showed some heart and had some bright spots in that game as well.

So we have been this low before. And things can and do change.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

This is what it was like when we were good and teams were scared to play us. It's a big game for Texas, not so much for Bama. Just an easy non conf w and great recruiting opp for them.

Hopefully SEC keeps 8 conf games so we can schedule 4 easy non-conf wins each year. Hello Rice, Texas State, Sam Houston, and Nicholls St....

29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I think 2021 UTSA could (and would) beat Kansas. So there is that.

30. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Gameday was at the Red River Shootout this year. Corso put on the Bevo head on during the pre-game pick. So I'm not sure where you're coming from there.

I agree there's certainly no shortage of negative coverage. A 5-7 record almost guarantees it. But negative coverage is vastly different than being forgotten.

• Agree Agree x 2