How can polls be so different?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BattleshipTexas, Jun 25, 2008.

1. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

How can polls be so different? CNN headlines are that in their poll out today Obama is up by 8%. One other poll had Obama up by 15% I see other polls claiming "double digit" leads for Obama. Yet Gallup has a new poll today with McCain and Obama tied at 45% each? I expect a little variation, margins of error and different tactics. But 15 % vs zero %?

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

My guess is that the networks do a lousy job of managing polls. It's all about asking the question in a way that doesn't lead in one direction or the other, and it's all about getting the right sample. In addition, so many people change their minds on this issue from day to day, frankly it's a wonder to me how ANY of them would ever be accurate.

3. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Couldn't be that certain polls try to gain an advantage for one candidate or the other??? Helps with fundraising and people love to hop on the bandwagon.

4. converse

converse 250+ Posts

5. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Converse..Thanks for the explanation.

6. SenateHorn

SenateHorn 250+ Posts

The Newsweek poll (15%) is RV, registered voters, so the weight they give to D,R, and Inds. is probably the most important factor. Same thing with the LA Times poll.

Personally, I prefer polls of likely voters.

Converse pretty much covered it though.

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Also, for political polls, it depends on what time of day the poll is taken.... For example, one group may be easier to reach mid-day than another group. Unemployed or retired vs. employed. Women vs. men. Further, one group may be more likely to answer the phone and take part in a survey than another group.

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I think all telephone polls are BS because only an idiot would answer their home phone to an unidentified caller and stay on after finding out it is a pollster. plus, a lot of people use only their cell phone.

9. SenateHorn

SenateHorn 250+ Posts

Actually, there are clever ways to get around the cell phone problem that are currently being used. Also, for some reason polling on Saturdays favors Democrats. I witnessed it multiple times on tracking polls for campaigns.

10. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I think if polls were taken during the day you would have a lot of people at home that are looking for a free lunch from the obama campaign.

11. 71grad

71grad 1,000+ Posts

It depends on who is doing the poll and what opinion they what the results to suport.

12. converse

converse 250+ Posts

13. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Another question re: polls...do they make a positive contribution to the process of choosing a President...?

14. JohnnyYuma

JohnnyYuma 500+ Posts

Converse..Which polls have historically been the most accurate? Thx

15. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

16. Rip76

Rip76 1,000+ Posts

What did Carlin say about polls?
    I can't quite remember, but I know he didn't like those people.

17. Ag with kids

Ag with kids 2,500+ Posts

18. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

polling is important because it helps John McCain figure out which way the wind is blowing so he can adjust his strongly held positions.....

19. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

Of course, if the Zogby polls are different than the actual outcome of the election, he blames it on election fraud.

20. gobears92

gobears92 Guest

21. converse

converse 250+ Posts

22. drunkfan#1

drunkfan#1 100+ Posts

The only polls that have a major disparity are the Gallup (tied) and Newsweek (Obama +%15). One of these is biased.... and you have to go with Newsweek being the one that is wrong.

I have read Newsweek my entire life. These last few years the magazine has become almost unreadable. I consider myself liberal, but the "liberal bias" in the magazine now is so over the top it stopped being a news magazine and a started reading like a propaganda leaflet. Its sad because Newsweek used to be intelligent, enlightening, and credible.

23. NightFlyer

NightFlyer 250+ Posts

24. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

25. triplehorn

triplehorn 2,500+ Posts

Wow. this poll for Texas now has it in single digits at a 5% difference:

McCain 43%
    Obama 38%

per TexasLyceum:The Link

26. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

27. Prolate Spheroid

Prolate Spheroid 25+ Posts

Housing bailout assures many Democrats will fix their problems.

The ability to pick the right polling same will perplex pollers for a while.

It's early. Durkakis was cruising at this point according to the polls.