How cool is this...........Memorial Stadium in 1941

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Oct 6, 2017.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

looks like a pretty salty schedule........and if my memory from reading serves me right we were ranked #1 till a tie at Baylor then the Frogs upset them in Austin (made cover of Life magazine).........they had a game on Saturday Dec 6th!!!!!! In 18 hours give or take after the end of that game Pearl Harbor would be taking place and these guys lives were all changed.......Tom Landry was a frosh that year!

PS must bea fall practice

[​IMG]

and check out how late the season started Sept 27!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  2. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

3. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Check out the schedule. Oregon game on December 6, the day before the Pearl Harbor attack.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Great pic, great find.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yup, very cool indeed.

I've always been intrigued by that 1941 team, what they accomplished that season on the eve of WWII.

That team reminds me that my Dad often talked about them. He was a Junior at Waco High in 1941, went on to the Navy after graduation and became a Freshman at UT in 1946. He remarked once about seeing Tom Landry playing intramural football at UT.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

'41 Horns rampaged through first six games, hit a rough patch (tied Baylor and lost to TCU), then finished strong, hanging 71 points on Oregon. They were in position for a Rose Bowl bid prior to TCU. Too bad.

7. WorsterMan

Photos of the teams back in those days are B&W but I've always wondered if the pants they wore were orange and if so what shade of orange they were.

8. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Those pants look to have color to them, it's a 1941 season photo (see the schedule in background on scoreboard), and following this...

https://www.texassports.com/sports/2013/7/28/traditions_0728135901.aspx

"... In 1928, UT football coach Clyde Littlefield ordered uniforms in a darker shade of orange that wouldn't fade, and would later become known as "burnt orange" or "Texas orange." The dark-orange color remained in use until part-way though the Great Depression in the 1930s, when the dye became too expensive. UT uniforms were bright orange for another two decades, until coach Darrell Royal revised the burnt orange color in the early 1960s. "

.... would suggest those are bright orange pants.

Yuk.

9. WorsterMan

Yup, bright orange would have been yuk.