How do they do those fancy mow jobs. . .

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by AKHornFan, Apr 22, 2004.

1. AKHornFan

AKHornFan 25+ Posts

on baseball fields?

2. Clarence Iba

Clarence Iba 250+ Posts

The height is just slightly different, and that's enough to cause that effect you see.

3. 12thStudStan

12thStudStan 250+ Posts

My neighbor just gave his yard a Brazilian. He had his height set too low and didn't realize it until he made a pass on both sides and across the front. He raised it and then finished the rest. I don't recommend that pattern, for a yard anyway.

Here is a pic of Fenway park:

[​IMG]

4. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Direction of cut.
    Trust me, I had to do 6000 sq. ft. with a push mower twice a week.

5. TornJock

TornJock 100+ Posts

Actually, the effect is achieved by using reel-type mowers and a lawn roller as opposed to rotary mowers. The reel mowers make a more precise cut on the grasses used on athletic fields and golf courses and, combined with a roller behind the blades, will bend the grass as the mower makes a pass. Designs are visible due to the reflection of light off the blades of grass. Lighter shades are the reflection of light off the whole blade of grass, while darker shades come from viewing the tips of the grass blades. What you see is basically the "nap" of the field, much like a carpet. When you go to the opposite side of the stadium, the pattern you see is reversed because you're looking at the reflection of light off the blades of grass from a different perspective.

Striping techniques are also used by groundskeepers by utilizing overseeding with other types of grass such as fescues and rye. Seed will be sown using a drop-type applicator in alternating striping patterns.

I've seen football fields done in this fashion by overseeding with rye every five-yard increment to acheive the desired "two-tone" effect.

Mowing at different heights is not conducive to a safe playing field, according to professional groundskeepers.

6. juicyfruit

juicyfruit 25+ Posts

7. VacantlyOccupied

VacantlyOccupied 500+ Posts

Amazon

I heard this guy on the radio a year or two ago. He is/was the groundskeeper for the Brewers and Red Sox.

8. ArrogantAssclown

ArrogantAssclown 25+ Posts

9. TornJock

TornJock 100+ Posts

juicy,
    No, I said PROFESSIONAL groundskeepers... [​IMG]

11. Sir_Climbs_A_Lot

Sir_Climbs_A_Lot 25+ Posts

My neighbor has a yard that looks like a golf course. He has a roller lawn mower like the ones that are used for mowing golf courses. It cost him ~ $1500 for the mower. He makes 2 passes over the lawn at different angles each time he mowes his yard. I would call it obsessive. It looks good nonetheless.