How do you feel about the statue craze at DKR?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by lhbruleshalftime, Aug 21, 2009.

1. lhbruleshalftime

lhbruleshalftime 250+ Posts

I thought that the Earl statue was kinda cool, and a statue of DKR makes sense because the stadium bears his name, but starting with Joe Jamail, and now Tex Moncrief and Red McCombs (recently announced), I think it's getting a bit out of hand. I'm all for the WWI soldier statue that will be added to the NW veteran's plaza, but casting famous big check writers in bronze seems kinda dumb.

But then again, DeLoss didn't ask me......... [​IMG]

2. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

What about the Longhorn Band statue across the street? [​IMG]

3. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

don't you realize, bellmont doesn't care what we think.

4. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

5. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

I'll bet this guy wrote a big fat check and or scored a lot of touchdowns, or was he in the LHB?

6. lhbruleshalftime

7. OrangeRB

OrangeRB 500+ Posts

It doesn't bother me at all to have statues to these 3 men who have, through hard work, been able to donate to our University. None of them had to do it, but they chose to give back to the University that enabled them to amass great fortunes. I think it's a nice way to say 'thank you' and I, for one, appreciate their generosity.

[​IMG]

8. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

9. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

If we're going to honor millionaires with statues, there ought to be a statue honoring credit card millionaires somewhere in the stadium. It could show a guy decked out in orange, sitting at a tailgate watching the game on TV with a ticket in his pocket...

10. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

I've always thought it odd to have statues of people still living. One could go as far as saying it’s pretty egotistical.

To be honest if anyone made a statue of me I would tell them to tear it down. I guess I'm a bit stodgy in that dept, I even thought it degrading to War Vets to name the stadium after DKR.

11. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Good idea Ignatius. Perhaps he should have a "Fire Fred" T-shirt.

12. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

A guy I think deserves one is Dr. Frank Denius
    The Link

13. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

14. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

15. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

If we're going to honor millionaires with statues, there ought to be a statue honoring credit card millionaires somewhere in the stadium. It could show a guy decked out in orange, sitting at a tailgate watching the game on TV with a ticket in his pocket...

that is gold.

16. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

17. mackfan1

mackfan1 1,000+ Posts

What about the Alumni Center? That place has more statues per square foot than a New Orleans cemetery.
    Etter-Harbin needs to add a new statue: Dedicated To West Side Season Ticket Holders
    . It would show two couples with drinks in their hands, chatting or talking on cell phones while ignoring the second half of the game across the street.

18. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

19. lhbruleshalftime

I wasn't necessarily dogging generous donors by bringing this up, 'cause I know what runs this puppy, that's big $$$$$$, but I can't imagine agreeing to having a statue of myself put up, especially if I'm still around to see it.

20. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

I commissioned one to be constructed at the foot of my bed. When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I see is me...

21. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

22. Holden

Holden 500+ Posts

I"d sleep ok if they had a statue of me at DKR. Or Hula Hut.

23. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

24. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

25. Longhorny630

Longhorny630 1,000+ Posts

You couldve saved your money and just bought a mirror on your ceiling

26. SlingeroGuitaro

SlingeroGuitaro 250+ Posts

i would rather only have to look at a flattering pose. you know, with the gut sucked in and the chest pumped out

27. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark

28. L.A.Longhorn

L.A.Longhorn 250+ Posts

The LHB statue is great.

[​IMG]

29. bornalonghorn84

bornalonghorn84 100+ Posts

I don't have a problem with Joe Jamail's staute.. he is quite the distinguished alumnus. Not to mention the abundant generosity. So I do find merit there.