How do you make your hamburger?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by NCAAFBALLROX, Mar 7, 2007.

1. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Made burgers for the daughter's 2 year old birthday party on Sunday... wife doesn't do much more than salt & pepper to taste (her taste, anyhow).

Burgers were about 1/2 lb. each precooked wt.

Charcoal was B&B Oak Lump & soaked Oak chips on top.

Only problem is the wife's family are heathens... no ketchup on their burgers.

WTF?

To add insult to injury, they ALL to a person take their beef well done. WTF x 2 ??

Red onion slices, pickles, shredded iceberg & leaf bibb lettuce, beefmaster tomatoes, cheddar slices, choice of Miracle Whip or mayo, Gulden's Spicy GOlden or French's regular mustard + Heinz ketchup.

It were allllllllll good.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. OPdotcom

OPdotcom < 25 Posts

We add a 1/2 package of onion soup mix (for 1 lb of beef) to all burgers made in our house. Most of the time, I eat mine with a slice of cheese and a slice of a large tomato. That's it- that's the list.

3. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Ketchup, (or catsup) on a burger is an abomination before God. HE shall rain a plague upon you in HIS own good time.

That said, I love burgers in many varieties.

Sometimes with blue cheese. Sometimes with avacado and sprouts, (Austin's Favorite from Mad Dog and Beans). Just today I had a Cliff's with mayo in lieu of mustard and added jalapenos.

(But no freakin' ketchup!)

[​IMG]

4. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

anything but ketchup on mine

5. shaq

shaq 100+ Posts

The best burgers I make at home are straight from Alton Brown from the food network. I buy pre grinded stuff though.

Burger of the Gods
    Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
    Show: Good Eats
    Episode: Cable in the Classroom
    8 ounces chuck, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    8 ounces sirloin, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

In separate batches, pulse the chuck and the sirloin in a food processor 10 times. Combine the chuck, sirloin, and kosher salt in a large bowl. Form the meat into 5-ounce patties.
    Heat a cast iron skillet or griddle over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Place the hamburger patties in the pan. For medium-rare burgers, cook the patties for 4 minutes on each side. For medium burgers, cook the patties for 5 minutes on each side. Flip the burgers only once during cooking.

Burgers

I cook it outside, on the side burner of my gas grill b /c it will smoke your house.

My mom makes a mean meatloaf with onion soup, which we do all the time.

lb. ground beef
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 packet of Lipton onion soup mix
    1/2 can of cream of mushroom soup

She serves it with Chili con Queso on top

My version is the same, but I axe the Cream of Mushroom soup b/c I never have it....put the meatloaf on top of slices of bread (to soak up the fat) and use 3/4 of the onion soup mix.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Reboot's jalapeno bleu chees burgers' lack of mention on this thread is criminal.

does anyone have the link to the recipe. they're allsome.

7. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

Ketchup on burger = [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I also cook mine well done. But I do all my burger cooking in a pan on the stove. I can cook a burger well done and keep it just as juicy as anything else people can make. I don't cook hockey pucks.

I usually put salt, pepper and hickory smoke on mine. Every now and then I'll substitute garlic powder for hickory smoke, but that's rare.

I don't add much else than Miracle Whip, mustard (yellow or brown), dill pickles and cheese melted on the meat. Sometimes I add bacon. I also toast the buns in the pan I just cooked the meat in.

8. HornOnTheBayou

HornOnTheBayou 250+ Posts

I had no idea there was so much hatred for ketchup on burgers. It's the only sauce I usually use on a burger. No mayo, no mustard. BBQ sauce on occasion. Cheddar cheese, onions, and pickles are a must.

9. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

Ketchup is for fries, not burgers. [​IMG]

10. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Ketchup is for whoever wants it.

11. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

12. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

1/2 pack of hidden ranch powder
    some bbq
    1 egg
    some oatmel- to keep them together
    cayenne pepper
    season salt- lawreys
    black pepper
    mix-make patties-stick in the freezer for 10-15 min
    throw em on the grill and enjoy
    sorry i do not measure, just eyeball it and you will be just fine

13. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

I can taste my well done burgers just fine. I just don't like blood all over the place and I don't really trust eating ground meat that isn't cooked well.

14. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

15. Randy_Allen_Fan

Randy_Allen_Fan 25+ Posts

F' yall. I save those little Whatabuger packs of ketchup just so I'll have some for the burgers I cook at home. A hamburger without ketchup is like football without Vince Young... something is missing and just not right.

16. Mrs. Reboot

Mrs. Reboot 100+ Posts

17. capnamerca

capnamerca 500+ Posts

97/3 ground sirloin ... one package onion/mushroom liptons per pound of meat ... garlic salt ... finely diced onion (eyeball it) ... finely diced jalapeno, seeded if your party is a bunch of pansies (like my wife) ... I've done the egg thing with good results ... worschestshre (sp?) sauce to taste ... fresh cracked black pepper.

My old roommate and I consider ourselves burger afficionados. We had this receipe dialed-in after about six months living together.

Also, you don't have to have your burger well-done for it to be cooked. Proper internal temp for ground meat is reached at what restaurants consider "medium" - cook it past runny in the middle, but a little pink is just fine.

i gotta try the idea of putting the patties in the freezer for a few minutes - make them hold together better, and should provide a little more even of a cook across the meat since the temps will (should?) be more consistent.

18. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

All kinds of ways personally.......

No one makes as good of an old fashioned cheeseburger as Dan's or Fran's.........

I do like to use very good meat like the 97/3 mentioned above.

I cook them in my cast iron grill pan....
    Salt and pepper is all you need....

Toast a Pepperidge Farms Onion Bun......
    I like too add swiss.....
    Saute'd bell peper, onions and mushrooms.......
    For this burger I like some good real mayo with just a tad bit of lemon juice mixed in.

Oh and the biggest mistake most everyone makes is mashing the burger down with a spatula while cooking !!!

You should never, ever, ever do this !!!!!!!!!!
    You are just making an old dried up piece of meat then.
    Leave those juices alone......
    As Emeril would say.....

"What did those juices ever do to you ???"

19. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

20. crayon1973

crayon1973 500+ Posts

I'll get ground sirloin and add the juice from an onion and a little soy sauce along with parsley. Its slightly similar to Persian beef kabobs that way, but its GOOD.

21. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Anyone who wants ketchup on their burger can have it. They are a special group of people called DumbFu*ks. Ketchup on a burger is the nastiest! There are some toppings that make Mayo/M. Whip ok, but classic burger is classic mustard. Mustard is pedominant in the south anyway. Ketchup? man.... what are you people thinking? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

22. S197HQQKEM

S197HQQKEM 500+ Posts

Ketchup on burgers IS an abombination! as is mayo, ketchup AND/OR mayo are for fries! Ketchup on burger is some weird ignerant yankee abberation, I even had the counter person at "my" Whataburger in Orlando ask me if I wanted ketchup on my double meat and cheese and jalapeno Whataburger, I looked at her in horror and told her that putting ketchup on a Whataburger was evil. She told me that some of the customers had asked for it. Yankees! I'll never figure them out, they very strange. This was when the store was first opened, it hasn't happened since, and Whataburger has posted a sign explaining what goies on a REAL hamburger.

The only "burger" I will tolerate ketchup on is a McD double QP with cheese, but then that's because McD puts heroin, crack cocaine, and nicotine in them so that they are addictive even though they are kind of nasty.

When I make my burgers I use meat, salt, pepper and garlic powder. and grill them almost well done, with cheese, onion pickles tomato lettuce mustard on a toasted bun (large size if I can find them, the stores here in Florida seem to think that a 2.5 in bun is the schnitz and big ones are hard to find [​IMG] ) sometimes I will put chili on them, the real stuff not that weird bean filled cincinatti crap.

23. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Sometimes I forget that you Texans (erroneously) think your food represents the be and and end all of the culinary arts. My bad.

Oy vey.

If you come to my house and I'm grilling burgers, you'd better inspect your dinner very carefully. I'll probably slip a little ketchup in there just for spite.

24. GakFoo

GakFoo 500+ Posts

yeah, the anti-ketchup-on-burger folks kind of puzzle me.

its not like we are talking about putting thousand island dressing on brisket, people.

a truly oustanding burger should pass three tests:

1. the cheese must be molten. not melted, molten. the cheese and meat must become one.

2. i need to be able to see my reflection when looking down at the freshly buttered buttery bun.

3. it must stand alone: it has to be just as good plain as it is dressed -- meat, bread, and cheese, thats it -- i love fresh iceberg and tomatoes in the summer, but the very best burgers will pass this part of the test.

that being said, ballpark mustard is pretty lame. good brown mustard, different story. so if your only option is yellow ballpark mustard, then ketchup, and/or good, real mustard, if you must choose a condiment, is perfectly acceptable on a cheeseburger. choosing ketchup over good brown mustard or homemade mayo, differenty story.

25. Randy_Allen_Fan

Randy_Allen_Fan 25+ Posts

Mustard sucks **** through a straw.

26. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

The main reason I don't like ketchup on my burger is because it's sweet. My burger can be many things, but sweet isn't one of them. I want it salty. If I want something sweet, I'll order a milkshake.

27. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I have no problem with anyone not liking ketchup on their hamburger. What I have a problem with is the "rules" for food some of you seem to think are absolute and universal.

Where I grew up, ketchup was a very common condiment on hamburgers. I worked at a Wendy's (no pithy comments, please) for a couple of years in high school, and the two most common orders were

1. pickles/onion/mustard
    2. everything

Guess what "everything" includes.

28. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

29. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

30. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts