How do you make your hamburger?

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by NCAAFBALLROX, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Idahorn2

Idahorn2 250+ Posts

This is my burger.

2 lb ground sirloin
    2 large eggs
    1/4 cup, plus a splash, of tomato juice
    1/2 Tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

Mix it all up in a bowl-- but you knew that already. Separate mix into three equal parts and form into patties--gently.

3 big buns
    1 Tablespoon warmed butter
    Yellow onion
    1/2" thick slices of tomato
    lettuce
    cheese, if you like
    condiments of your choice

Put a little butter on the cut sides of the buns and brown them under the broiler.

With the preheated broiler 6" from the rack broil the burgers about 4 minutes per side. (For medium rare.) Top with an onion, good tomato, and some lettuce. Your condiment of choice. Blue cheese is good, so is Colby.

I can just about guarantee this will be as good a standard burger as you have had. The tomato juice seems to be the secret. The meat is really a little too wet to cook on a grill.

2. TEXAS1026

TEXAS1026 100+ Posts

I just put ketchup between 2 buns. No need for meat.

I don't understand the people who disown ketchup, then praise mustard. Mustard is way too powerful of a flavor if you want to enjoy the hamburger. Its one thing on a ham sandwich, but not a hamburger.

You know who probably refused to use ketchup? Hitler.

3. mayberryrfd

mayberryrfd 100+ Posts

This is my most recent burger recipe:

Head to Sam's Club..buy a case of Angus burger patties (oh the sacrilege, right? LOL)

On way to cashier, check out wines...grab a few bottles...do they sell charcoal in bulk here(?) go find that...

Head home, toss patties on counter-read directions on side of box...decide to do it your own way because the print is too damned small and the wine you cracked open earlier is almost finished...

Start coals, toss patties on when ready...brown both sides...wait for almost done then put some kind of steak sauce stuff on each side (can't remembner what the hell I put on it but it worked) and carmelize that. Toast buns on grill after you take patties off and let sit.

Let everyone make their own damned burgers however they like by sitting all ingredients on counter or table and telling them to come and get it.

For what it's worth, I use cheese, ketchup, and grey poupon. I put my salad on the side as I think it distracts from the taste of my burger. When I put meat in my mouth...that's all I want to taste.

The Angus patties kicked some serious a$$ in the taste department. Best burger I have ever grilled and easiest for prep.

4. someone

someone 250+ Posts

c+a+d's recipe is the only way I eat a burger now. Every way else is just the way Hitler would eat a burger.

5. misterpink

misterpink 25+ Posts

I chop up fresh Jalepenos and red onions in a food processor, put in a mixing bowl with meat, seasoning ( ground black pepper, tony's, and garlic powder.), and bread crumbs ( progresso italian). Mix all together and put on the grill. Make your burger any way you want with ketchup or mayo I don't care as long as I get two patties and some cheese. I am thinking about putting some grated cheese with the jalepenos and onions and then putting them on the grill. We shall see.

6. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

I use C+A+D's recipe as well. But I use worcestershire sauce instead of soy sauce and I don't always use blue cheese but other crumbles.

I need to just learn to stop burning the burgers and I'll be happier. :)

7. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts

Just last year I called out Reboot with a proclamation that Yo soy El Rey de hamburguesas. I even challenged him to a throwdown before God and the hornfans and he declined, or maybe he accepted and maybe we just forgot about it until now, but whatever, I still felt like an internet burger tough guy at the time.

In any case, it's on! Who's interested in a hamburger kumite?

8. NCAAFBALLROX

NCAAFBALLROX 1,000+ Posts

Bozo, are you suggesting a 'virtual' throwdown, or will this be a 'live & in person' competition?

I mean, I have tried & re-tried for a smoker best of with nil for results...

As for a burger blowout, we could have identical grills, identical coals started in identical chimneys... that would leave the flipping & meat recipe to the contestants.

I'm down to attend.

UTGal can be the round card girl...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. bozo_casanova

bozo_casanova 2,500+ Posts