How each Top 25 team is addressing its biggest need in recruiting

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by bck031, Jan 24, 2018.

1. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

24. Texas
    [​IMG]
    With All-American DeShon Elliott bolting early for the NFL draft, the Longhorns needed to replenish the safety position. Tom Herman and his staff, notably safeties coach Craig Naivar, responded by delivering, by far, the top class at the position in the country. Texas signed three of the nation's top four rated safeties in B.J. Foster, DeMarvion Overshown and Caden Sterns, giving the Longhorns an enviable foundation at a key position in the pass-happy Big 12.

• Like Like x 4
  2. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

While I like Texas getting attention for good recruiting this is kind of a crappy analysis. Texas is losing its best o lineman, safety, cover corner, LB, and NT.
    None of those is a position you can really fill with a true freshman (maybe corner).

I think the biggest need for Texas is by far on the o line. Anderson or Tucker will fill that void immediately. I expect that one or two safeties we signed will play special teams and maybe get some action in mop up time. The other one or two will shirt.

So signing 3 stud safeties is great but I don't think will make an immediate impact on losing Elliiott or Hill. Signing one or two grad transfer olinemen will immediately impact the team.

3. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

In any given year, a team's greatest recruiting needs are the positions where they didn't get much last year.

4. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I am thinking Sterns will make more than just a little impact. Brains and instincts:hookem:

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Does that mean Texas gets new coaches?

• Like Like x 1
  6. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

I agree. It will keep our QBs healthy.

7. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

Did I miss something? Did we do something to be consider a Top 25 team?

8. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Technically no team has done anything to be ranked next year, but that's a whole other thread topic.

9. bck031

bck031 1,000+ Posts

We finished with a winning record. :hookem: