How has there not been a thread about this yet?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by 2003TexasGrad, Mar 1, 2021.

1. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Actually Metcalf sidestepped what He really thinks. He is pretending there is a racist element he did not know about

3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

man, You all can only see it from one side

some one says something pretty much down the middle.

but now he’s “woke” and making bad faith arguments because he didn’t carry your banner into your culture war.

Cancel him you bunch of right wing SJWs

4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Let’s just cancel the whole racist program. After all, it’s been the school song for over 100 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Well Lets hope cooler heads prevail and the left wing social justice warriors and the right wing culture warriors don’t ruin it all for everyone else

6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

It's already ruined. The UT professor who had the agenda to poison the song saw to that. Twisting and bending history to make a name for himself in the SJW world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Most of the turd players have self-flushed, as turds usually do - they're soft and melt away with time.

Head Turd He-Man was a more solid turd, and had to be plunged, but he's down the sewer pipe now and quickly forgotten. Off to next season with a coach who respects and embraces the traditions of this school, as he should.

• Like Like x 3
  8. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

“I sang it because that's what we did. Now you have a new generation of kids who are looking at social justice and looking at the future for their kids, grandkids and so forth. They're looking at this history and they're finding things out that are really trying to oppress black kids...."

Yes, that song has the magical ability to oppress black kids. What a dumbass.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Wait till he finds out what the Democrat Party stood for in 1903!

Hint - their next president re-segregated the Federal Government, and showed "Birth of a Nation" in the White House.

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Folks of certain ancestry are preferentially accepted to UT outside of merit.

11. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

what makes him "woke" is that he was on campus for multiple years and did not think the song was racist. You know why....because there is absolutely nothing in the song that conveys racism....NOTHING. That's why generations have sung it with pride and unity. Win or lose, to support the teams, the band and our university. It is only with the "woke" propaganda does he now see that a song he heard & sang, literally HUNDREDS of times in his career and all the subsequent golf, dinners, etc. is possibly racist. His mind was changed not based on facts, but because he didn't want to appear to be going against the cause. That's what makes him woke.

The fact that is MOST relevant of all in this debate is the timeline. When the Pres of the University used the phrase "The Eyes of Texas are Upon you". There were ZERO minorities....Z-E-R-O....Zero minorities at the U of Tx. So how could that phrase be directed at blacks if there was never, ever a black student on campus to hear it.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

The report on The Eyes of Texas is out. They determined it is not overtly racist. Oddly, the faculty members also recommended that the Texas Exes fund scholarships for their kids. :whiteflag::rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. 2003TexasGrad

Yep. I won't post the same thing I did on the Show Band of the Southwest thread, but the report basically said what many of us have been saying for the last year.

And as stated above, yes, there were no Black students at UT in 1903, so The Eyes literally had nothing to do with Black people. It's all just so stupid.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  14. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

The song was actually used to criticize those that wanted to keep black students out of UT.

Not surprising that all of these claims lead to, "gimme some money".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. 2003TexasGrad

I totally believe that because The Eyes is about everyone, regardless of race. Is what you stated mentioned in the report?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

From the outside looking in this is the most cogent argument that I've seen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 2003TexasGrad

Agreed. I've made this same point to people several times. And by extension, using the logic of the woke, since there were no Black students at the University for its first 70+ years, then the entire university needs to be canceled. How can it not be using their warped logic?

18. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Sounds more like a coward and should consider himself an ex-TexasEx now. Go cheer on some other school.

• Like Like x 1
  19. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Yes, more than one example.

20. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

got an email from CDC and Hartzell both. Not impressed by either ones response. To me, they are both about as passive endorsement of the song as could be. Neither one of them states that the song was determined to be non-racist, just that it will retained. Underwhelming for sure.

several things that I was unaware of such as B. Jordan and Johnny Lam Jones REQUESTs to have it sung. And several other noteworthy instances where black UT alumni have vocally supported The Eyes until this jack_ _ _ Reddick gave this revisionist history lesson.

To a hammer, everything looks like a nail. To a race baiter, everything looks like racism.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If I read it correctly, it’s still the school song, but nobody - including the players AND the LHB are required to sing/play it. Terrible leadership. If they pipe in The Eyes versus the LHB playing it, they should be fired on the spot.

• Like Like x 1
  22. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I agree with this for the most part.

But, for the sake of argument, if the song had been co-opted from a racist authoritarian person's way of thinking, it's hard for a black student to not hear that when it's sung. IF... And if so, we should be able to consider, not invalidate that.

Fortunately, that's not the case

I'll share something personally... My biological father left my mom when she was pregnant. Broke her heart. She almost didn't come back from it (poor in the late 60s). Without going into detail, country music wasn't in my wheelhouse until I got to college, where I added that to my repertoire. Mom and I go somewhere in college and I pop in a cassette (yes it was about 1989) and she starts crying. She says "he" listened to country music and she didn't realize I had started listening to it. I turned it off and never did that in front of her again. Though I've been to multiple country concerts, etc. Not with her. Because, for her, she can't listen to it without thinking of a terrible past. In an ideal world, she might have gotten help, she might have worked through it. If you understand where someone you care about has gone through, it's ok to be thoughtful.

Had they found out the EoT had a racist past, I would have taken the hit for my black TexasEx brothers.

I'm glad reasoned research revealed the truth.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'd like to like, agree, and laugh at this one.

24. 2003TexasGrad

If The Eyes was literally a racist song I'd be all for canceling it. The fact that it never was written with race in mind is why so many of us are against its cancelation. The entire university and everything in it is baked with southern confederate segregationist butter. To single out The Eyes and look the other way at everything else is stupid and intellectually dishonest. Unless people want to cancel everything, then they need to sit down.

• Winner Winner x 4
  25. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Right. We agree. It's good that "the fact" was researched and validated.

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Remember it’s about revenge, not intellectual honesty.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

It's gonna sound really bizarre if half the band plays it after a game and half doesn't, and it's going to look bizarre if half the team stays out for the song and half doesn't.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Already been through the bizarre half (and less) players staying.

29. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

You're in the band and you dont play it when directed to do so... BYE! :angry:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
  30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

If anyone doesn’t want to be there, set them free.

• Agree Agree x 3