How has there not been a thread about this yet?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by 2003TexasGrad, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Anyone who doesn't want to sing the song shouldn't be in the band or a sports team. If you are student you can avoid school functions where the song is sung. They can even skip graduation. But if you are an athlete you need to sing or leave. If you are in high school and don't like the song, go somewhere else less racist like Vanderbilt or LSU or Texas A&M.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

Exactly right. I was there during 4-7, I was there for Route 66, I was there for most other OU beatdowns as well. I'm still a Longhorn. I'd love to be competitive in every sport every year but not at the expense of our traditions. If bandmembers or players (to include the celebrated 5-stars) don't want to play at UT because of our song, so be it. It may not please the power players in Belmont whose principal focus is winning the "biggest budget" award, but it will be fine with me.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

There isn't a single recruit that is a must have, if anyone wants to be part of this class they have to embrace who Texas is, past, present, and future. This doesn't mean they have to love all our traditions, but the song isn't racist, and if they can't understand that then feel free to go elsewhere.

We have good coaches and they will get the most out of anyone that chooses to come here. TCU and Tech do pretty well with recruits no one else wants. Texas can as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  5. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

What are we going to do with these crackers?

The Supremes

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Florence Ballard, Scherrie Payne, Diana Ross, Susaye Greene, Lynda
    Laurence, Mary Wilson, Cindy Birdsong, and Jean Terrell

• Like Like x 1
  6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yep. It would be like coming to Texas but wanting us to stop wearing burnt orange, switch from horns-up to horns-down, or stop being called Longhorns.

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

C'mon man... there's no way the conservative view is to force someone to sing. i've watched for years that many of the football team do not sing when they come down to the band.

I get the "love it or leave" but that's not even what we've done historically.

Now...The official position of the University of Texas athletic dept is that the song is not racist and players will be asked to stand together... you can't tell an individual that he has to sing.

I don't sing half the songs in church, though I do others. I don't hate them or disagree with them. I just don't want to sing. My wife, and anyone else who thinks I should, can suck it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I've always felt that way about pledges, songs, etc. I still find the Texas pledge so odd at schools. It's like "American indoctrination wasn't quite up to our standard."

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't want to force anyone to sing, but I also don't want people in groups who represent the school publicly sowing division visually on national TV.

The decision to come play is a decision to embrace the school and its culture. If not. Go play somewhere else.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I haven't seen where a conservative said someone should be forced to sing. Opining that one ought to sing or should want to sing, etc., is not saying someone should be forced to do so.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Fine line. The difference between "should voluntarily" and "forced" has been the subject of Supreme Court cases. And, rhetorically, is found in this and other threads too.

I'm not an objector to any song (even "WAP"). But when the rhetoric of some who are in favor of the school song is "sing it or get out," I think the school had an obligation to say that's not how it's going to be. And, I'd extend that to those who think voluntarily leaving is the best option for avoidance.

12. BrntOrngStmpeDe

I think you are missing context to this position.
    1. these athletes are taking resources from the institution, to then turn around and say that institutions vestiges are racist. if you truly believe that rhetoric, why are you here?
    2. The song has been here for 120+ years. if it has such strong ties to racism then the black community has surely shared that intel around. it was surely obvious to every recruit and LHB member. If you truly believe it is racist, why are you here?
    3. This is no longer just about "singing" this has now become a line in the sand regarding how far we are going to let racebaiters go with respect to targeting institutions and traditions based on flimsy and/or non-existent ties to slavery.

I think my position is "if you don't want to sing it....Don't come here to begin with". If this song was so obviously racist then each and every student and athlete currently at this school had that choice. They should have exercised their choice at that point in time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I can appreciate that, but the context it's portraying for potential student athletes is "all or nothing." Like, for your question #1, why can't they appreciate other aspects of the University of Texas? Why would the song be the determining factor? I don't like Confederate monuments, but I still went to Texas. Or at least when they were still up. Why isn't there more nuance?

I think another thing that kids are taught today is along the same lines as Gandhi's "be the change" quote. Not that I agree with changing the song, but they felt strongly enough about it to get that conversation going. Saying that we have to stick with traditions because they're traditions and those who support them shouldn't be the ones who capitulate isn't the kind of thinking that young people are used to.

• Like Like x 1
  14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I couldn’t care less if they actually sing. I always felt most players didn’t appear to know the words anyway. Stand there with the team and band. Sing or don’t but don’t walk off the field.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

All I want is for the players to show respect for the song, it means something to many of us and that meaning is not a racist thing.

Contrary to libtard beliefs, white people don't sit around twisting their mustache thinking up racist things to do.

Mostly we sit around thinking up ways to drink more beer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Well, that and look at boobs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

How about they embrace 90%, and accept 10%?

We can allow for the generations behind us to see some things differently, can't we?

It's not always all or nothing, right?

I just want us to be the parents and grandparents that allow for reality, which is that some things change over time. There's a time for generations to own what being a true Longhorn looks like.

If some of these young kids are impetuous and don't have wisdom yet, but are passionate about creating a true Texas Longhorn reality for their generation, we can flex a bit too, right?

18. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

90% won’t win championships just like not sponsoring this forum will keep it going.

19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Why would a black athlete come to a school that sings a racist song after every school function? Why would they want to enroll if the University ignored the concerns and narrative of activists to say definitively that the song isn't racist when they still think it is.

We have a responsibility to set the tone for the next generation. Part of that is holding fast non-negotiables. To me the EoT song is a non-negotiable, more so than appeasing Cultural Marxist smears of me and my culture.

The line is drawn. I want to hold the line.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Same
    It is really about the appearance of team solidarity around the tradition

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Right. That's my point . Get out there. Raise your horns. The rest is micro managing kids

22. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't disagree with you guys. But if an athlete is offended by the song then they aren't going to want to hear other people singing it or raising their horns up during it.

23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If an athlete is going to claim some manner of offense, they should be able to articulate WHAT the basis for alleged offense actually is, and no, it is not acceptable to say some woke professor told them something was 'racist.'

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Then the University of Texas is not for them. We have been over this ad nauseum. Almost everything about the University can be tied to racism if we try hard enough.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

mb227, you said "should". I agree with your comments but "should" doesn't come into the equation with people like this. They don't base their views on objectivity or reason. These are Neo-Marxists. They operate in the realm of non-reason. All that exists is the wielding of power. A woke professor saying something is all the justification they need. That is why I have an heavy handed view on this. Either you let the cancer in and let it kill the organism or you cut it out and throw it away.

26. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Yes. Everything can be tied to some sin of the past because mankind is fallen. We commit injustice against each other. It exists within every human heart. We need to reject self righteousness, and we need to oppose those who are motivated by self righteousness.

Every person is guilty. Every nation is guilty of some kind of oppression, slavery, conquest. Governments are bands of thugs who took over in the previous generation, but that doesn't mean we have to listen to this generation's new band of thugs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  27. BrntOrngStmpeDe

• poop poop x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

:facepalm:
    No words

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Black Student Alliance sounds racist to me. NAACP is nothing more than a shakedown crime family just like BLM. I agree, Hartzell needs to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

There are so many things wrong with this article. Unbelievable. Absolutely unbelievable.

Yall something is gonna have to give. I fear the University will cave to the woke mob pressure. They are too concerned with wokeness. They won't be able to stand up.

The whole freaking history of UT is tied to racism you stupid fools. Yeah there were minstrel shows. The song wasn't written for that purpose. There were no black students at UT for decades. The school was founded by confederates.

Idiots all of them. This is all about Black power and the desire to use that power to destroy whatever they feel is offensive, facts be damned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1