How many languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Praise of Folly, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Praise of Folly

Praise of Folly 100+ Posts

This kind of relates to the illegal immigration thread:

I speak Spanish every day and it doesn't bother me.

I go to the convenience store (and the tamale place and the dinner places) near my house and the conversation goes like this:

Me: Hola amigo. Como estas?

Him: Es bien. Y t u?

Me: Bastante bien. Es un otro dia.

Him: Que paso? Que necesitas?

Me: Hay nada pero quiero dos cervezas y tres tamales. Cuanto cuesta?

Him: Cuatro dolares.

Me: Muchas gracis. Te veo manana. Que pases un buen dia.

Him: Tu tambien (o igualmente).

I think I receive better prices because I speak to him in Spanish. That's cool for me. It's just words, words, words.

I can also speak some Italian, French, and a little Mandarin/Cantonese. (edited for spelling)

I'm just curious why there are so many people who seem to be unwilling to learn another language. I'd like to learn them all.

2. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

3. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

two beers and three tamales for four bucks?

mexicans won't even sell to other mexicans for that. i know. my entire maternal in-law faction are messican. well, er, "spanish" according to abuelita.

4. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

He's posted that conversation before. He's probably been cutting and pasting it for years and hasn't changed the prices to keep up with inflation.

I can read Spanish but can't speak it well because I skipped the labs (and there didn't used to be so many people around to practice it with). My degree had a foreign language requirement and I thought it might come in useful if I ever went to Mexico.

5. whickums

whickums 250+ Posts

I use the spanish I learned in high school quite a bit at work. Unfortunately, they didn't cover medical terminology so I use babelfish a lot. I bought a medical spanish cd set with the intention of becoming a little more fluent but I haven't opened it but once in 2 years.

All that said, I'm amazed that I'm still one of the most fluent people in my workplace (aside from the few hispanic people that are there).

6. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

be a lot cooler is you spelled Mandarin correctly

7. jadedscenester

jadedscenester 100+ Posts

i know enough spanish to understand the bumblebee man on the simpsons, and that's good enough for me.

ay! una candelabra precariosa!

8. Praise of Folly

9. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I took French I four times. Never quite mastered it.

I took Spanish at UT. Never quite mastered it.

I took 7 weeks of 20hr/wk Spanish in Buenos Aires. I then stuck around town for another 6 months or so. Not speaking Spanish for nearly an entire month (my 3rd) and then having to relearn things the next 2 just to get back to speed. After that, I would converse when I would go out with my Argentine, Paraguayan, and otros amigos latinos. At times I can carry a 10-20 minute conversation. At other times, I butcher one sentence.

In the grand scheme of things, I guess that you could say I speak Spanish. I definitely speak English. And I am one of handful of people who can understand over 90% of what comes out of my father's mouth. (Some form of Enlish mumble mixed with a bit of a growl.)

10. Praise of Folly

11. 1918Speedway

1918Speedway 250+ Posts

I speak a little Spanish and a little French, and I tend to mix them together and speak Franish. It puzzled the hell out of my little Hispanic students.

12. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

13. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

English and Russian (with lots of mistakes)

14. utexas_61

utexas_61 500+ Posts

i have mastered about 50% of english, 10% of german, and 3-4% of spanish

15. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Fair in Spanish, nearly fluent in HornFanese.

16. GuadaHorn

GuadaHorn 100+ Posts

no thanks to my parents i was in french immersion for 12 years. i guess they thought it would be useful since we lived in louisiana, dumbasses. anyone else find this thread pretentious?

17. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

When I'm plowed, I can speak Spanish and German..often times together. I call it, "Germish".

18. mishatx

mishatx 1,000+ Posts

19. SubliminalHorn

SubliminalHorn 500+ Posts

20. Brisketexan

Brisketexan 1,000+ Posts

21. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

Does Klingon count?

22. wolfman

wolfman 1,000+ Posts

23. ThrowittoRoy

ThrowittoRoy 100+ Posts

i speak a few, but don't really see the point of this thread, other than for him to tell us he gets cheap tacos and beer.

24. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

25. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

no, the S and the F are close on the keyboard and that was simply hitting the wrong key. the A and the O are far apart and you spelled it incorrectly because you did not know the proper spelling. FTW

26. ryskey

ryskey 100+ Posts

I speak the most eloquent, unaccented Spanish whenever my BAC surpasses the .12 mark.

Otherwise it's exquisite Spanglish, complete with Spanish-conjugated English verbs.

Does anyone speak Texican? Here's how: butcher any Spanish utterance by using the heaviest Texas accent possible. I have amused myself more than I care to admit doing this.

27. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

Brisket-Two things. (1) La Boca is a part of town in Buenos Aires. So is Palermo (with the subdivision Palermo Hollywood.)There is a "resto-bar" in Palermo Hollywood called "Acabar". That word is also slang for "cumming". The joke goes-

"Voy a Acabar."
    "A donde? En Palermo?"
    "No, en La Boca"

(2)

28. Praise of Folly

29. EuroHorn

EuroHorn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like this thread is about to spiral into the ground. As the Who said "meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

30. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

my niece calls me Shu-Shu.