How many languages do you speak?

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by Praise of Folly, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Praise of Folly

Praise of Folly 100+ Posts

So, I went to the store tonight. We always speak in Spanish. I went there comprar dos cervezas.

The clerk utilizó una palabra que no sabía. I said, no entiendo español muy bien.

So, I said puedes hablar en inglés?

He was cool.

2. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

I just took a shower. (No clerk in there.)

I was thinking about heading back down to Argentina in a couple of weeks. I think that it would be a good time para practicar mi castellano. Puedo (condicional) corregir mis faltas antes aluno puedo (condicional). (I just looked up that sentence on Google Translates and it went like this- "Podría corregir mis errores antes de que alguien más podría..") Necesito practicar mi castellano mucho mas.

It's cool in the shower. I don't have to order any food if I don't want to and I can talk about any subject I want. Pero ahora, voy a tomar suenos. (a.k.a. "Voy a dormir.")

[​IMG]

3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd 100+ Posts

Here's an actual conversation my drunk *** had in Prague 14 years ago:

Taxi Driver: Mluvim Ceske?
    Me: Nej
    Taxi Driver: Sprechen sie Deutsch?
    Me: (Nodding confidently) Si!

4. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I took spanish in high school 2 yrs and 1yr in college

Then I went to Turkey in the Army--learned a little then came back to finish college and took 18 hr of Turkish at UT--never practiced in conversation

Then in business world needed to use Spanish--ie 200 e-mails in Spanish daily in El Paso-- remembered some, learned some

Now-- almost all Turkish gone--Can say a few things still

5. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

I took Spanish in high school and still can speak, although I have lost a lot of vocabulary.

I can speak enough Swedish to get around Smaland. Stockholm is big-city and most folks speak English.