How the offense fell apart due to injuries

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by X Misn Tx, Nov 11, 2017.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

2. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

You should post this article on the "I'm done with Tim Beck " thread.
    X Misn Tx.

• Like Like x 1
  3. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Blah, blah, blah.
    Every team in the country goes through injuries and transfers.
    Strong went through the same thing.
    Next man up, no excuses.
    Coach em up.
    Change the scheme to fit what you have left.
    Do more with less like the Bill Snyders of the world.
    Be creative.
    If only Orlando could coach up the offense, as well.
    I'm not saying we should be undefeated or anything of the sort.
    But we have rolled out some pretty crappy offense.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

great article and 100% accurate.

5. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I agree with you.
    And you can take this exact article and insert any major college program with different player names and it is still accurate.
    We ain't the lone ranger here.

6. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

All that is cool and all but the fact that we still have not seen improvement on this o line after what 9 games is pathetic. They praised kerkester and cunney the other day and I spit my drink out in laughter. 9 yards rushing last week 9.

• Like Like x 2
  7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Also I don’t take BON serious they spend to much time arguing on twitter with people for me to take them serious reminds me of Hamm

8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

It isn't exclusively unique to us, but it's not true that it's the same.

Teams lose players. But they lose different numbers of players at different positions who are of different value to the team.

We lose VY, and taking the "next guy up" concept to that context is inane.

"Next guy up" is a great motivational concept, but it's not an accurate principle to guage outcomes.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Galvestonhorn

Galvestonhorn 250+ Posts

I'm trying to think of how many top 20 ranked teams this year I can insert here that have had both sophomore and freshman starting QB's knocked out of games, and this many starting lineman on an already thin OL that have been lost.

Like I said, great article and 100% accurate. That blah, blah, blah also accurately reflects fans the author mentioned.

Next man up and coach em up sounds good too.

10. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I don’t think anybody is disputing the fact our injuries hampering this team. It’s more the the lack of coaching on the offensive side of ball, play calling, discipline. This man beat OU and FSU with talent he inherited at Houston took down big bad bama with a 3rd string QB so it’s it just dumbfounding that we can’t manage to at least make this line serviceable that way our freshman and sophomore qb aren’t getting killed every week.

11. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

12. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Our problem is we didn't have an excellent "Next man Up". We had freshmen and third stringers who played as good and hard as they were able. We had one chance to have an over average offense and that was to not have injuries to the Oline first string. We had the injuries.
    However I agree with Moondog. Change the offense and teach them one blocking scheme. With the ol injuries, and our wrs, go 4/5 wide and pass on every down.
    We would have done better.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Delance had fallen to 4th on the depth chart.

14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

How bad did he have to play to fall to 4th on the depth chart of this team?

I'm starting to think that offensive line recruitment is basically a crap shoot for all but a few evaluators who really know what they're doing, and in almost all cases, it's depended on the assumption that a kid is physically capable of learning skills and techniques that he's physically not able to do as a senior in high school. So you better either be really good at identifying those signs, or be good enough in recruiting to scoop up that top 5 percent that everyone knows can do it because they're doing it in high school, or just recruit a whole bunch of them and let the cream rise to the top.

I'm also starting to wonder whether we need to be looking for offensive linemen more in other states.

• Like Like x 1
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

On Delance... I'm not in the practices or meetings, but they have taken what I consider to be our top talent at a position and benched him. They have a very specific way they like to create depth charts. Somewhat psychological, I think they outsmart themselves there.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 806 Horn

806 Horn 25+ Posts

The offense stinks and there is no end in sight. No depth on the O-line, and questions at QB. There’s not a QB on campus that is championship level, which means we wait for one of the commits to be a savior. Then there’s TH’s ego...his press conferences are reminders to the fans that his offensive staff is aligned with him and he wants them all back. Well, ok TH, but next time you tell us the definition of insanity, please have a mirror in front of you.
    TH moved Mehringer to the booth so he could be another set of eyes in the sky with Beck. That move has done nothing. With Beck and Mehringer, you have 2 guys with absolutely no clue how to call plays, or deploy the correct personnel at this level.
    No matter how this season ends, I don’t feel good moving forward with the offensive coaching staff in place.
    In a nutshell, we stink and there’s no end in sight.

17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

In another thread I said I was done with Beck. However, I still think we have to bring everyone back next year. We can't go year to year every year getting new coordinators. No matter what I or we think, he has to have a couple years to work things out. This offense is bad, but I'm hopeful next year will be different with a year and off season under their belts. If we get to OU next year looking like this or maybe even to the USC game looking like this I may completely give up on this offensive leadership group.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You can tell that already, with a true Freshman and a true Soph? I must say I am extremely impressed with your ability to assess. Do you make a living as an NFL scout? If not, you should look into it.

19. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

7 offensive coordinators in the last 6 seasons. How many different starting QBs in that time frame? There is a lot of merit to what Vol Horn said above, and what Tom Herman has said in pressers. Continuity is important, particularly so given our amazing lack of it since 2010. Yet short sighted fans keep looking for that savior in the assistant coaching ranks as well as among players. It is incredibly foolish.

20. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Hell, we should've kept Charlie and Sterlin then.
    I'm not so sure they wouldn't be doing as well or better than what we've seen.
    Offensively, anyway.
    Perhaps seeing Orlando put together one of the top defenses in the country has something to do with it.
    I think it's all about seeing improvement.
    If the offense had shown some form of steady improvement, most of us would feel ok with waiting for another off season to coach em up and get new recruits.
    But it seems they still have no clue what they are trying to do.
    Even the LHN crew, who have played at the highest levels, seemed confused about our offensive game plan and play calling.

• Like Like x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

We went through this with Watson.
    He was given the off season so he could **** a brick against Notre Dame.
    His ensuing demotion screwed the rest of the season.
    If you see progress in our offense this season then, by all means, stick with Beck.
    But, if after a full spring, summer, and fall camps and an entire season, we are still flopping around like a fish out of water...why would we continue down this path?

• Like Like x 1
  22. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I thought Colt did pretty well???

Maybe I'm cornfused.

Ditto @moondog_LFZ comments.

injuries ... significant injuries ... happen to a LOT of programs and they perform better than has our offense over the course of the year. Being very young at QB has been there ...

But the staff has cost us at least 3 games in their game day decisions ...

and in last night's game against the worst team in the league ... we simply couldn't resist ... sideways ball ... even after riding the impressive Young to 3 consecutive 1rst downs.

This was a game to learn what the game is about ... fundamentals ... which INCLUDE RUSHING the football. Yet ... it lasted as long as a TT vs OSU game ... (throw happy) (yeah, I know, the refs played some part in that in their inane reviews)

This game should have been done in 2+30 as the running backs were showcased running up the gut 9 of 10 plays. Base blocking with an occasional trap ... and a rare play action. The water boy should have been able to play QB.

But no ... we had to do our bubble screens on 4/6. SMH.

• Like Like x 1
  23. 806 Horn

806 Horn 25+ Posts

Or maybe there’s a little bit of truth to both sides. Mack was GD’s biggest supporter and defender, and held on to GD through thick and thin establishing continuity. But I’ve seen it argued on here that Texas with GD as OC wasn’t going to get us over the top unless a savior like VY came along. Mack and GD turned the keys over to VY about halfway through 2004 and it was off to the races. So there was continuity for a real long time and the success was massive, but it went to higher levels when a once in a generation player came along.

24. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Key injury missing from this list....

Sptember 2: Tom Herman suffers a newly discovered mental condition called UTHCCS (University of Texas Head Coach Coma Syndrome). Recovery timeline from this condition is still not known.

• Like Like x 3
  25. eastexhorn

eastexhorn 250+ Posts

Even JR High coaches understand if something is working on offence stay with it untill the opponent stops it.

• Like Like x 1
  26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

My point was that if Vince got injured in 2005, we wouldn't have won the title. Matt Nordgren was the backup that year. Colt redshirted. Next man up...would NOT have gotten to the Rose Bowl, let alone won it.

For the most part, there is a reason that players are 2nd and 3rd stringers. Assuming that any guy can come in and play at he same level as a starter is a bad assumption. It happens sometimes, but it's rare. If I'm a coach, and I send in a backup, I tell him and everyone around me, "Next man up. I expect the same results." If I'm a bookie and a team sends in 3 backups on the OL, I bet under, because in real life, if makes a difference to send in 2nd and 3rd stringers.

27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

OH! thanks. yeah, you're probably right about that.

for the 3 OL replacements ... it should only underscore the need to be simple. It should underscore the need to base block ... use good blocking technique over dazzling scheme.

Again, thanks for the correction.

• Like Like x 1
  28. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Walk up to the line of scrimmage. Knock people down. Run off tackle. Get first downs. Win jewelry. Go to class. Don't hit women. No guns. Graduate.

:deadhorse:

29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I'll offer .. Shack's replacement last night ... 51 ... Cuney?

He did a pretty good job overall! no bad snaps, and I don't remember Boo being overrun from the middle when there wasn't a jail break blitz.

30. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

All that you said may have been true if we hadn't been down by three TD's. That's why KU blitzed so much because they knew we had to throw the ball to try to get back it the game. No choice but to abandon the run in order t--

Oh, wait....

On another note, is it too late to trade for Matt Campbell? Asking for a player.

• Like Like x 2