How to Chill a Hot Beer or Soda in 3 Minutes

Discussion in 'Esther's Follies' started by jmatt, Jun 13, 2008.

1. jmatt

jmatt 1,000+ Posts

A most useful piece of knowledge...
    How to Chill a Hot Beer or Soda in 3 Minutes

2. ShinerChE

ShinerChE 250+ Posts

Its known as freezing point depression. By putting salt in with the ice and water, the water temperature actually dropped well below 0 oC.
    Chemists will use this trick to get temperatures of -10 to -15 oC. Same trick is used to make ice cream the old fashioned way.

3. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

If you have ever done home made ice cream...same principle. As far as chilling warm beer, if you ice it down in a well insulated cooler and leave it alone for exactly eleven minutes, it will be cold. This has been tested over time, for many baseball and football tailgates.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

we had it tested at 7 minutes. not ice cold, but not rodeo either.

5. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

roll the beer in said bucket of salty ice water, minus the salt and water, and it's chilled in 90 seconds.

6. jcdenton

jcdenton 250+ Posts

A friend of mine used to use salted ice water in his bongs. They would get so cold they would literally get encased in ice from condensation after just a few minutes.

7. Rusk

Rusk 250+ Posts

You can chill it just as much in about 30 seconds with a CO2 fire extinguisher.

There was a whole mythbusters about fast ways to chill beer. The fire extinguisher won for speed, but lost for practicality.

8. ShinerChE

ShinerChE 250+ Posts

Just get some dry ice. More practical than the fire extinguisher.

9. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Thats interesting, but please explain why the beer was in the garage and salads were in the fridge. Where are you priorities??

10. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

Anyone that ever took thermodynamics will tell you that the lower temperature with ice is good but rotating the beer is better. You get more "surface area" contact between the warm beer and cold zone. The stirring probably did the trick.

11. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

i thought this was fairly common knowledge. we always sprinkle some rock salt in our cooler.

of course last week at work i had a warm soda so i dropped it in our dry ice chest for a couple of minutes. it was already starting to freeze when i retrieved it. and this was sans stirring.

12. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Am so glad I saw this thread. I forgot I had put a beer in the freezer a little while ago. Ahhh . . . it's nice and cold now.

13. Craigcito

Craigcito 250+ Posts

I have a dedicated beer fridge (a freezer actually) in my garage that maintains my beer at a constant 22 degrees thanks to this gem. It took me a while to dial it in. Beer freezes at 21 by my tests.

The Link

14. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

If you have a cooler full of ice and water and throw a room temperature or even hot beer can in there, how long until it gets cold? It seems for experience that even without the freezer or salt that it gets damn cold quick.

15. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

I re-state....

ELEVEN MINUTES

[​IMG]

16. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Litnin, you should have bolded that. :)

17. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

Litnin, so in my experience, the beers cool down faster if it is not just ice but ice and water. Like a good icy water mixture.... so maybe your 11 minute number is based on that.

18. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    I've tried it both ways. Friday baseball tailgates or Football tailgates...ice with no water. Saturday or Sunday baseball tailgates...cooler with both ice and water left over from the previous day.

Either way....

ELEVEN MINUTES!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Few summers back, I kept a bucket (with a Poison label) of Prestone in my freezer. Only fill it up about a quarter of the way. When you put a couple warm beers in it, they displace the anti-freeze and the cans get cold fast. If you spin the beer, it cools faster.

Rinse the can before you open it.

20. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

21. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

the fastest should be salt with water and ice. the water will be well below 32 degrees, and it will create more surface area contact with the beer container than ice alone. add motion to further accelerate the heat transfer, and there you go.

22. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

23. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

24. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

25. simihorn

simihorn 100+ Posts

I don't see how the air temperature would greatly affect anything if the cans/bottles are submerged in the ice/water/brine.

I guess closing the lid will help with temperature loss of the overall ice mass, but I bet the overall temperature of the liquid would be relatively the same with or without the cooler being closed.

Of course, you can close the lid and just kind of shake/swirl the cooler, thus keeping the max cool in.

26. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

So in 3 minutes, I would agree, I doubt it would impact it too much.

But if you don't think that closing a cooler has a big impact in keeping stuff cold, you are wrong. Getting a good seal on your cooler is crucial.

Sounds like another science fair experiment. Same amount of beer, same amount of water, same amount of ice, identical coolers... one open, one closed.

27. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

So you are going to drink 4 beers every three minutes? I would assume you would have to open the beers to measure the temp. If thats the case, I may run the exact same experiment.

28. DCLonghorn

DCLonghorn 1,000+ Posts

29. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

30. flaco

flaco 500+ Posts

Growing up in West Texas everyone in the country had butane tanks for their houses. Cold beer 1 minute if you didn't mind the smell.