How you like Ehlinger now?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Creek, Sep 23, 2018.

1. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Just because he uses more syllables than you, doesn't mean he's trying. lol

2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

This is a situation where stats lie. Completing 22 passes out of 32 doesn't make him a accurate passer. As I said, he has some incredible receivers making some amazing catches. It should also be evident that many of those passes are high efficiency passes within 5 yards of the LOS. Even then many of those passes are off the mark.

In Colt's sophomore year he was the victim of a terrible oline that graduated most of it's starters the year before. Even then Colt was still pretty accurate. But for arguments sake, lets say you are right. It doesn't change the fact that Sam is also very inaccurate. If you want to make a more legit comparison compare him to 2004 Vince Young who was possibly a worse passer than Sam is now.

I have already said, I think Sam will improve over the next 2 years, but that doesn't take away the fact he is not a good passer now. I love the kid, he is a great Longhorn and a passionate leader, but a bad situation gave him the starting spot and a lack of a good QB is keeping here there. In a perfect world he would have red shirted last year and got spot duty this year.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Possibly, although 2004 VY was a better passer than people gave him credit for. His stats only improved slightly, but he lost his top 3 receivers from the year before and made some really accurate passes in pressure situations. Best examples off the top of my head: the drive right before halftime of the Okie State game (also fun note: he didn't throw a single incomplete pass or pick the whole 2nd half), and the TD pass to Tony Jeffrey to beat Kansas - right on the numbers of a well-covered receiver while on the run to his left.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Anyone that wants to compare VY's arm to Sam, I invite you to watch the Madison/Northshore playoff game and the throws he made, particularly the scramble right, back to the left and launch the football across his body, 30+ yards across the field, and 55-60 yards down the field for a TD. Again VY was running for his life. I must add that his WR did not dive, leap, or contort himself to make the catch. I suggest you find another comparison.

Sam is a gamer, but not a good passer, does not possess an adequate arm, but he does run a long time in one place. Still, he is OUR QB.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

he is years better than swoopes ever was. Swoopes didn't like the limelight either. As a backup, fearless....otherwise....eh....

6. zuckercanyon

Colt McCoy lived within 20 yards his first couple of seasons, speaking of high efficiency passes.....very accurate passer but until "strength and conditioning" set in his upperclassmen years, he couldn't throw as far as Sam does now.....(or last year) when he was an underclassman....

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

That's just not true.
    Hell, Shane can throw it farther then Sam.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

You do realize that if you are comparing high school high lights, Garrett Gilbert blew them both away. I rest my case.
    Greg Davis lived within 20 yards, but Colt had a number of big throws. Strong arm does not make a great QB, Major Applewhite had a noodle for an arm and he had a great deep ball. If you want to see what a strong arm looks like, watch the Clemson freshmen Trevor Lawrence, that kid looks like Payton Manning when he was at Tennessee. Not just strong but crazy accurate. He is the next great QB in football.

Sam might end up being a great QB next season, but right now he is the weak link on this offense.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

It actually does. Getting the ball close enough to your receivers that they are able to catch it is pretty much the definition of passing accuracy.
    Again, Sam is not Colt McCoy. But he has been effective over the last 2 weeks.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

???

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

4th floor,

Have you been in Memorial Stadium either of those games?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I have not made it yet this year. The floor is in high demand at present.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. zuckercanyon

We're talking about the current starting qb vs Colt. I was at the Ohio State game next to a Buckeye fan in '06 at DKR. After the first series he turned to me and said "Your boy can't throw farther than 40 yards at best, when they figure that out, they'll move up and his day won't go so well".....until 2008 Colt's arm wasn't the best...accurate, yes, but he was dinking passes down the field to Shipley and Quan.

14. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Colt McCoy's average yards per pass:
    2006: 8.1
    2007: 7.8
    Sam Ehlinger's average yards per pass:
    2017: 7.0
    2018: 7.5

• Like Like x 1
  15. zuckercanyon

a stat that doesn't indicate arm strength, yet indicates yards per completion which include yac, which improves that stat. GDGD/Mack's offense was nothing but dink passes most of the time those first two years...occasionally they'd try and throw one over the top, and there were limits to Colt's range. Sam's arm is stronger. By the time Texas got to the Ohio State Fiesta Bowl, Colt had become stronger and was making more deep(er) throws. I'll say Colt's oline was probably a little more stout than what Sam's been behind..….

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I have been to every game and will say the thing I see most improved is Sam's decision making and protection of the ball in critical situations. On Saturday as we drove down the field, I actually felt like Sam was going to lead us into the end zone and not throw an interception. (First time I have felt that at a critical juncture of the 4th qtr with him). But I have to admit I still not a believer. Austin Bill seems to have my exact thoughts reading his posts and I agree that the stats are deceiving. Our receivers are outstanding- I think one of the top units in the nation and make Sam look good. The miss to LJH in the 1st qtr on Sat as the LB covering him fell down and he came open across the middle is typical. The CJ diving leap TD wouldn't be a TD for most receivers in the nation and was much harder than it needed to be. Go watch the reply of Tua Saturday against A&M. That kid is hitting his receivers in stride and his passes look as easy to handle as a handoff in many cases. Clemson is a darn near lock for the playoff and they didn't hesitate to make a switch this week at QB. I just think we are settling. Would still like to what Shane could do and if he isn't the answer let's see what Rising has but with the improvements from the team and from Sam, I will be content to ride this out and hope I am wrong. Just damn sure don't want to be walking out to the Ferris Wheel at half time in 2 weeks. Flame away....

• Like Like x 1
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wasn't picking on you, and I knew you hadn't been there to see the missed reads, poor throws, and bailouts that you could have seen live, but not on TV

:hookem2::beertoast:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. zuckercanyon

I would say you’re comparing apples n oranges. Clemson and bama are loaded and rolling. He signed the #1 qb in the nation, promised him playing time and he proved himself. Texas just went 7-6 and are looking for continuity. It’s a common theme that the backup is always the favorite. Just wait, Sam could get injured on any play and you’ll c Shane. Until then try to act like the record is 3-1 and not 1-3.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

USC
    1st drive
    8:33 mark Dead spot on 15 yard 3rd down pass to 47 for 1st down conversion
    3rd drive
    The play that put UT on its current track occurred at 14:33 mark when on 3rd down 84 took a pass that hit the hands on a crossing pattern. Dead spot on. 1st down conversion
    Same drive 13 dropped a 30 yard pass delivered to his hands
    Several plays later at 13:32 a 48 yard TD was delivered to 84
    Last drive QB was 0-6 passing, but converted on 3rd down and a 4th down with his legs, and had a 15 yard draw nullified with a holding call
    Some very good plays thru the air and on the ground, and some very bad wtf passes
    But talent is undisputable
    the 2018 Horns will go as far as #11 takes them.

20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No brain farts yet; at least 2 of his receivers seem to finally have learned to play the position; and the OL has made obvious improvement in pass protection. He still doesn't know when and how to throw the ball away which keeps the probability of a brain fart at any moment alive. Also he cannot run the option to save his life. This week and next will go a long way to show how much he has progressed.

21. Mike the Texan

Mike the Texan 250+ Posts

Sam's legs are one of the reasons for our success. If nothing's there, he can still make a play. I think many have forgotten how Shane had zero ability to scramble. If options 1, 2 or 3 were covered, Shane would be sacked.

Yes, Shane may be able to complete a couple more passes, but the number of sacks for loss and inability to convert a third down with his feet would outweigh any of his advantages.

I still can't believe the University of Texas is still in this position after 10 years, but until the next quaterback is ready, Sam is the man.

- Mike

• Like Like x 3
  22. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

THIS! THIS! THIS! THIS!

• Like Like x 2
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Um...********?
    It's like you guys never watched Shane play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

A refresher for those that think Sam has the better arm.
    Sam is bigger. That's all he has over Shane.

• Like Like x 3
  25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Oh yea, Shane can't run either.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

My concern with Shane is not his ability to run, it's his durability.

WRT the run thing, it may be unfair, but IMO other teams do not see Shane running as a threat as they do Sam. This changes the way they defend us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

we'll have to see if Sam can close a game. his decision making when playing from behind, late in the 4th quarter is what was questionable in the past. in the last 2-3 games, he was playing from ahead.
    Hopefully his work in the weight room can help prevent fumbles in the goal line, but we should be utilizing Daniel Young in that scenario.
    I want to see Sam's ball placement improve. he's not very accurate in that regard.

28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sam is our guy right now and has done what he’s needed to do. Accuracy overall needs to improve no doubt but what bothers me even more is just how slowly he gets the ball to the receiver on those sideline quick hitters, the screens etc. that has always bothered me and still appears in slow mo most of the time. He doesn’t have the quickest release to begin with but to compound the problem he takes too long to get the ball off. That’s my opinion but if you watch other qbs on that play I think you’ll agree and it seems everyone runs it these days.

29. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I'll purposely refrain from disparaging Shane as a means to justify my opinion that SE is the better fit for this offense. Shane is a solid QB and obviously a young man of fine character. IMO, Shane is indeed the more accurate passer, but SE is the better runner, is more durable and again, IMO the more dynamic leader. I wish both of them good luck.
    BTW, while watching that highlight reel, I shockingly saw several examples of the receivers having to jump, dive or adjust to the ball in order to make a catch. For some of you, it appears the old adage rings true, the most popular player on the team really is the second string QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I love watching DBs trying to catch Duvernay from behind.

• Like Like x 3