How you like Ehlinger now?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Creek, Sep 23, 2018.

1. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Moondog: "Oh yea, Shane can't run either."
    Those highlights also show how accurate Shane is throwing the swing pass; leading the receiver so he can turn upfield quickly. SE frequently throws the swing pass behind the receiver, so he has to literally turn all the way around to make the catch, wasting time and steps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

There is truth to the notion that Shane has been injured. So has Sam: concussions especially. Sam runs with some power, Shane has more raw speed. Sam is tougher to tackle; Shane is a bit more elusive. Sam can push a tackler forward for the extra yard. Shane is indeed the more accurate passer.
    I don't think either one inspires the players around him any more than the other. I think the team plays hard for both.

I think Shane would put more points up more quickly because of his passing skills.
    But Sam's the # 1 and he's cut back on turnovers. We'll win a lot of games with Sam as long he plays without turning it over.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. hookem245

hookem245 100+ Posts

See my Impressive DART!!! post. That is all.

4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

There's always a few new idiots showing up to say Shane can't run. Unfortunately what that video clip doesn't show is that about 90% of those plays were called back due to holding.:angry:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

No, it doesn't. Case in point, CJ's first catch was for about 50 yards, however, if the ball was accurate he catches it in stride and scores, but because he had to adjust to the ball we don't get a TD.
    Case in point 2. CJ's TD catch was spectacular, but there was no need for it to be such, if the ball is accurate, he catches an easy TD.
    I can go on and on and on. Like I said, Sam's passes are accurate about 20% of the time. What you see with him is a set of receivers that are freaks of nature making amazing plays.

You brought up high school playoff games as a justification for how good Vince was as a passer, I just countered that high school doesn't mean jack and brought up Garrett Gilbert as an example that it was a ridiculous comparison.

This is my biggest concern as well, he has looked great playing with a lead in the 4th, but what will he look like when Texas is losing and he is forced to make plays. Will he force things or will he make good decisions? Sam is a work in progress, much like our coach. We shall see how he progresses as the season goes on.

6. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

So, you're showing a play where Iowa State rushed 3....and somehow Shane eluded the rush and threw a "laser" to Collin Johnson....got any Maryland footage? I like the one where the linebacker ran right up under his nose in the open field....

7. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

This whole video is Maryland (loss) where we're way behind and they're rushing 3, Baylor (0-7) look out for that powerhouse, KANSAS! yep, got get even for Charlie against those world beaters, and TCU (loss).

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My example was in response to VY's arm strength, and is far from ridiculous, since that play clearly shows that Vince could fling a ball 65-70 yards while running and throwing across his body.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I really agree with this. I was always impressed with VY’s arm strength, particularly given his very unconventional throwing motion. The guy could “flick it” a long way. The other thing about Vince was his accuracy on the run, something to behold. He seemed more accurate when running than when in the pocket.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree. To bad Fisher didn't see it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Bingo, the only Texas game I've ever watched and the only video I've ever seen of Shane was last years Maryland game.

12. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

This is baloney. The posters Ive seen want Buechele also wanted him when he started last year and Ehlinger was the second string QB. That adage has been true in the past and applies when people irrationally want a second string QB who has not played before (see John Chiles should starts) or (play Swoopes over Case). In this case, Buechele was the former starter, we’ve seen he is a far better passer, and we never wanted him to stop starting. Like I said, when he would start last year, no one but the Westlake contingent wanted Ehlinger back and they did not want him because he was the “second string qb” either.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

gonna give Sam a pass on that TD throw to CJ because he was about to get smoked by that defensive end. the throw to Moore against USC was almost terribad

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Then perhaps you should see his debut as a true freshman against Notre Dame.

• Like Like x 1
  15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Shane's highlights starting as a true freshman.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Holy **** gentlemen. Do you all know what this thread means?
    WE'RE ARGUING BECAUSE WE MAY HAVE TWO GOOD OPTIONS AT QB!
    :fiestanana::bounce1::beertoast::hookem2:
    Its been almost ten years?
    This is not like the "John Childs" should starts debate. We actually have two viable options at the position.
    I guess the last time was 2009 when we had Gilbert behind Colt. Or if you don't want to give GG the credit, Javen Snead behind Colt.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

True.
    Actually, on this thread I have never said Shane should start.
    It just irks me to see people posting that Shane "can't run" or "has no arm strength".
    Shane played his *** off as a true freshman and took a beating while doing it.
    Shane is faster than Sam.
    Shane can throw as far if not farther than Sam and is more accurate.
    Sam is bigger than Shane. That is his only advantage.
    And in an offensive scheme that uses the QB like a H-back Sam should probably start.
    This may be fine as long as the defense holds the opponent to under 30 points.
    We will see how it goes if we get into a shootout with OU, TTech or someone else and need to score over 40.
    Herman says defense wins championships and that was true in the B10.
    I hope Orlando proves him right.
    We are on a bit of a roll and I am almost allowing myself to get excited. ;)
    A road game against the Purple Wizard is always tricky.
    K-State is a little down this year so we should handle them.
    Hook'em! :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

People have short memories and if they doubt Shane's ability they should watch that 2016 highlight reel to refresh it.
    I think we can all agree on some basic facts.
    Fact: Shane Beuchelle looked very good in 2016
    Fact: Shane Beuchelle did not look very good in 2017
    ALSO a fact: Neither did Sam Ehlinger.
    Fact: Sam Ehlinger looks much better this season
    Fact: We don't know what Shane would look like this season as he has taken zero snaps.

I hope Shane gets some snaps this weekend as we cruise to victory. I like Sam. Still would like to see some of Shane

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

LOL! Talk about baloney. Beuchele started last year (deservedly so) as the experienced incumbent, over a totally inexperienced true freshman. Guess what, 99.5% of Longhorn fans also approved of that decision. I know the adage rings true because you're doing it right now.

20. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

These are the "facts" on which you're basing your opinion about the better player? Using your logic, I believe Kyle Porter is faster than Ingram. Is he a better runner? Shane can throw farther than Sam? Jamarcus Russell and Uncle Rico say Hi! :smile1:

• Like Like x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

You left off ..."and is more accurate".
    And if you read my last post I admitted that Sam is best in this scheme.
    But thanks for playing.

22. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

No, what you did is imply that SE is nothing more than a glorified H-back. Try again.

• Like Like x 1
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

No. That's what you got out of it.
    You obviously are looking for a message board battle to show how witty, smart and funny you are.
    I merely defended Shane when posters downplayed his talents.
    Sam fits this scheme better.
    I think Shane in a more spread offense would score more points.
    I don't need to try anything again.
    Have a nice day.

24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm on board that Shane has great qualities, some over Same. But this is an oversimplification.
    If, by "bigger," you mean he is more durable, better able to avoid sacks, and more effective as a short yardage runner, then I think you are closer.
    And one thing we've heard multiple times from the coach that we can't see from our vantage, is Sam's ability to lead a team.

25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I can agree with this.

26. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Regrettably, I must again site your own initial witty, smart and funny reply. If you don't want none, don't start none.

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You both are right. Sam is an H-Back playing QB so by definition he is more durable, better able to avoid sacks, and more effective as a short yardage runner.
    The man whose livelihood is at stake says he wants Sam to protect his future earnings; so he has to live with his decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I wish I could agree with this, but the truth is we likely don't have any good options at QB. I can't judge Shane because he hasn't played this year, but the fact that the coaches hare keeping him on the bench tells me he was soundly beaten out by Sam, or there is something else happening behind the scenes we don't know about. Either way, I think we are going to live or die with Sam this season.

29. whiskeydent

whiskeydent < 25 Posts

I usually lurk here, but this Debbie Downers vs Sunshine Pumpers thing drew me in.
    Sam is better than last year. He is generally more accurate on mid-range throws, has more velocity, and finds secondary receivers more quickly.
    On long-range passes last year, he usually under-threw them, often badly. This year, they're overthrown but catchable by super hero WR's. I'll take it.
    Is he Tebow? The next messiah? Not yet by a pretty long shot. But we can win with him, especially if our running game gets us fewer third and longs. Perhaps a play that isn't a pass-run option off zone blocking up the gut. Gee, what about off tackle?
    Finally, I think Shane is certainly more accurate than Sam, but the knock against him is that he does't handle pressure well and tends to get leg injuries when he runs.
    Sam has improved in handling pressure, and I suspect that's why he's starting.

30. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Considering TH said it was the most difficult decision he's ever made in his career I don't think soundly is a very good adverb at all. In fact, when TH talks about it I would say barely seems like much better term. I agree there may be other things happening behind the scenes.

I'll also say I've gone from being a Sam basher to a Sam "acceptor" as long as he keeps improving and doesn't have a meltdown against a team Texas should "soundly" beat like tech last year. Especially against a down mildcat team this weekend.