How you like Ehlinger now?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Creek, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Paul S. Nichols

Paul S. Nichols 25+ Posts

Sam is an above average leader but he needs to refine his mechanics and QB skills, right now he is a testament to how far this team's talents will take us IF WE DO NOT BEAT OURSELVES with mistakes and TO's...we absolutely MUST ELIMINATE the penalty's & Boyd has got to get his mojo back (he is way too talented to be making the recent mistakes on double moves he is making).

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And that reason's name is Yancey.

3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The bias here is pretty amazing. A true sophomore is playing about dead NCAA average and you would swear that Sam sucks listening to these people. People seem to have forgotten that Shane was not that good last year and there's a good reason why he's riding the pine. If Sam ends up not being the answer we'll have to look at one of the younger guys, not Shane.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I agree with garmel on this. Shane is not the answer if Sam is not.
    Cam Rising is third string.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Objective analysis is not bias.

6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I have to ask this question. And remember, I have continuously questioned his accuracy.

Would anyone on this thread want to see Sam replaced at this point in the season? I’m not asking if someone thinks that Shane might be better, or that one of the freshmen might surprise us. Simply, is anyone proposing that a change be made right now?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. I_Dont_Exist

For this season the answer is no.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Guys, if you want to make an objective comparison of Vince to Sam, you have to take into account that Vince had a red shirt year, so you talking about Vince in 2004 season is comparing a guy in the 3rd year vs a QB in his second year. Maybe you should compare Vince as a passer in 2003 to Sam this year. That is much more apples to apples comparison.
    How about giving someone a chance to do their job. Last year Beck was working with a true freshmen, and I've seen huge improvement over the last few games. That tells me the QB coach is doing his job. Sam's TD to Int ratio is really good right now, if this trend continues I will be glad to say Beck is doing a fine job.

I was saying all last week that KSU was a huge trap game, the fact that we won is all I care about, you can toss everything else out the window. If Texas had lost to TCU and followed that up with the game we played against KSU I would be very concerned, but the fact is Texas had a huge emotional win against TCU and had to play KSU in Kansas the next week knowing that blOwU was coming up right after.

I couldn't be happier, our coaches have a lot to talk about in the film room, our guys are going into Dallas knowing that if they bring the same level of intensity they will get embarrassed. This game was a W in the win column but we can take away enough to call it a loss in many facets of the game. These guys were reminded their poop still stinks, that is a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

Look, I am THRILLED we are 4-1 right now, really way better than any of us had a right to expect after the Maryland loss. That being said, let’s put this unfortunate SE vs VY comparison in perspective:

Of course this is the famous 2004 TX vs Okie Light game. (Go past 1:07 h for 2nd half.) Even considering Vince’s superior supporting cast, I cannot imagine SE could have pulled this off in that game. It’s not really a fair comparison, completely different running styles. In terms of accuracy, VY was an unconventional throwing style QB but Greg Davis eventually let him find his style and you can see how accurate his passes were in that game.

10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I did see a few people say it yesterday in the game thread. If Sam has a bad game vs. the Sooners it will get louder. Btw, I don't think it's wrong to criticize Sam's accuracy. He needs to get better but luckily he's only a sophomore so he probably will. However, I am tired of every time he misses a pass I hear "he's so inaccurate." or "we need someone better." Do these people watch any other football games besides Texas? I've watched a lot of NFL qbs today and even these guys botched some easy passes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Vince's QB rating was 128.4 that year. Sam's so far is currently at 139.7. Also, Young was a year older than Sam because he redshirted in his freshman year.

12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The point I'm trying to make is what in the world are you expecting from a true sophomore? Almost all true sophomores have trouble with accuracy and reading defenses. As a sophomore he's performing nearly at league average. Give him time.

13. I_Dont_Exist

Statistics are for losers.

14. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

DERP!!!!

15. I_Dont_Exist

As a baby boomer I have no idea what this means. Nor do I care.

• Like Like x 1
  16. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

I have been one of those guys saying his accuracy sucks so let me quantify why I think this way.
    When I say he isn't accurate I am referring to his placement of the ball. I understand that every throw cannot be on the money but at least it can be within arms reach. With that, it needs to be in front of the receiver so that it can be adjusted to easier for the receiver.
    In my observation I find that about 1 out of 8 he is accurate. Most of the time the receiver has to reach behind, wait, or dive to make the catch. On his wide open receivers he either misses entirely, over throws, or leads them to much.
    Just my .02 since I used to play the position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I hold my breath every time he pulls up to throw the ball vertically down the field--4 end of game losses will do that to a person...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

It is hard to take the Ehlinger Westlake Contingent seriously when they try to compare him to Vince Young. Please stop.

Right now the debate is whether he is better than Ash, Swoopes, Case, Heard or Shane and y’all out here talking about Vince Young and Colt. He aint worthy of any 2000s QB comparison discussions yet, not even with Chance Mock!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  19. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Yep, only 3 guys in the last 20 years that played on the 40 acres that I trust with the ball in their hands and had "IT"--Ricky, Vince and Colt. Sam may have "IT" someday, but he does not now sadly

20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

First of all, I'm not from Austin so stop the childish ********. I'm not saying Sam is better than Young. Young had his legs that made him a great player. However, Sam is a better thrower than Young was at the same age. That is a fact. It's hard to say if Sam can make another step like Young did with his passing. That remains to be seen.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. I_Dont_Exist

No, that's an opinion. Learn the difference and get back to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

Dude, None of us are here to bury Sam (although some may praise him-ha). We all hope he does become the qb TH has given the offense. He is just erratic with some of his throws, and, quite frankly, that irritates some of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I am not suggesting he be replaced. What I am curious about is as inaccurate as he is down the field with a much improved o-line and plenty of time to pass on most plays, why do we have a running qb tossing 36 passes in a game while running only a few times for 26 yards? I mean, we had 38 pass plays to 27 run plays and we were winning the entire game. That's not balanced and a chunk of those running plays and Sam's running yards came on the last drive to end the game to make things seem closer.

I suppose this would be what I call the square peg/round hole problem. If Herman wants a passing offense throwing 35-40 times per game then he has the wrong QB in there based off skill. When the offense has to pass 25 times left and right for 3 or 4 yards to be able to complete passes then something just isn't a match. Either fit the qb to the offense or change the offense to better fit the qb. Sooner or later we won't be as lucky to win as we were yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Stats back up every thing that I'm saying. I know people such as yourself think facts are the boogeyman and that emotion determines reality but I'm not. Soon as you can respond back with facts get back to me.

25. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Vince was perhaps the best college football player ever. Based on his phenomenal talent we won a NC. My observation was that we worked around his relative inaccuracy by having a passing game similar to that we saw Saturday (sideways and short) and we were able to ride that to a NC.
    I actually went to Anderson, my first two kids went to Austin High, and now my younger two kids do go to Westake. Where did you go to high school? I guess it would give me a reference point for your irrational negativity toward Ehlinger.
    I have sat in the same UT seats since 1970, but was going to games before that. That’s my loyalty, not Westake. So, not sure why the personal reference.

I only mentioned Vince Young because someone (was it you?) said that Sam’s 7 yd/att last week somehow discounted his high completion rate. I said it was no more “sideways” than Vince Young—indeed, in Colt’s 2009 Senior season he only had 7 ypa average in what could have been a Heisman year. So, that PROVES that this style of passing game is not too sideways to win— it does not argue and I never came close to saying that Sam E is as good as Colt McCoy or Vince Young.

It did seem to help your position to change from measuring Sam against Shane Buechele to saying he isn’t Vince Young. Well, until someone noticed it

• Like Like x 1
  26. GeoSteppen

GeoSteppen 25+ Posts

The turnovers off of interceptions and fumbles are still possible, and we've been lucky in that respect the last few games. But he is improving. Some of his throws are plain good. He needs more work, but I see progress. But if we want to hang in Dallas we can't have any turnovers, and we are going to probably need to slow the game down with offense and keep it tight into the 4th quarter to have a chance to win. OU offense is explosive and they have a natural at QB.

27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Colt threw 4 picks against K-State in 2007. That's bad accuracy. Under Mack-Htown77....
    I listened to the game on Sirius which used the KState feed, they were very complimentary of Ehlingers play.
    Stats only suck when they don't defend your arguments.
    Against OU---SE ran for 120 yards and came back from a 20 point deficit to take the lead in the 4th. The kid is money. Don't think any QB freshman at UT has ever run for 120 against OU.

28. I_Dont_Exist

So my point is statistics are for losers and you challenge me to back up my position with stats? Go to bed.

• poop poop x 1
  29. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

if he does play baseball for Texas but other players are ahead of him, will there be crying on the baseball board too?

30. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Colt lived within 5 yards for quite a while. Cosby and Shipley bailed him out many times....

• Agree Agree x 1