How you like Ehlinger now?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Creek, Sep 23, 2018.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

^^this^^

2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

If this team beats OU next week and this thread is still going I may very well take a long sabbatical from HF.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

It's tough because there's no one perfect comparison. Sophomore VY vs Sophomore Sam gives VY an extra year of physical development and training. But Freshman VY vs Sophomore Sam gives Sam an extra year of collegiate on-field experience. Sam right now is probably a better passer than Freshman VY, but Sophomore VY was a better passer than sophomore Sam.

4. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Think of the first time Vince got on the field for us. Pure electricity. Sam has never approached that. Never. You knew Vince was something very special, Sam has never shown that

I'll pull for Sam or anyone who qb's for us, but I'm not confident in him leading us to where we need to be. I hope we beat ou with him, or anyone, but he's not the long term answer

5. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

If he beats OU and that's a big if, time to back off the "he's not the answer". He'll be a friggin hero. We still may not win the conference, but we would have just beat USC, TCU, @KState, and OU back to backs. Let's re-evaluate after the game.

6. Bayerithe

Bayerithe 1,000+ Posts

like i keep saying, if he improves where he places the ball, i'll be a much happier camper.
    his swing passes to the backs have forced the backs to spin or adjust to the ball, losing valuable momentum/ability to make a play up the field.
    He throws his WR's wide/high (see Colin Johnson out route). Also see the plays where the WR has to stop and reach behind him.
    He underthrows Duvernay repeatedly
    Don't know if it is his footwork or other mechanics, or even the windows he has at the O-line, but if he can place the ball where he hits the WR's/Backs in stride, he'll be something special.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Dont forget that Mack admitted he hamstrung Vince with the wrong offensive approach for two years until Mack was convinced to just let him play. That plays a big role in early stats.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I hope their aren't any non believers or negative nancies left...the bus is filled.
    Super Sam!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

7A15C583-814F-4579-A4B0-ED85DEF5A4F7.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  10. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Has an opportunity to be best QB in UT history!

Hook 'em

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'll take that...

12. odehorn

odehorn < 25 Posts

He is a better Chance Mock. The kid's got moxey and tough as nail.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

He made good decisions late, that to me is the key factor demonstrating his growth! Well done sir!

14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I like Ehlinger now. He's playing smart, within himself. He should get better and better as the season progresses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

no, i don't think so. James Street, VY??

Sam is good. But lets not go that far.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Sam is playing so much better than at the start of the season, he is playing smart, he is starting to hit his stride as a passer and he is a great leader. He is exactly what we need as a QB.

He can still get a lot better, but right now I love what he is doing. If he keeps improving Texas will win a lot of games over the next two years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

and the season is only HALF way over---but he's taking the right and necessary steps!

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

He picked a good time to play the best game of his career.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I....AM.....A....BELIEVER.....NOW!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I told y'all.:smokin: You people were WAY overreacting to the play of a true sophomore.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

TH saw what we as fans could not. He saw the improvement off the field, film study, knowing the offense, practice, and leadership. It culminating into 314 yds passing, 72 yds rushing, 5 TD, 0 turnovers against OU. In a word TH saw the upside of SE. The talent was always there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

TH said in the beginning that Sam is an alpha dog. I think we are beginning to see that Coach was right. :bow:

23. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Just saw his stat line kid had a hell of a game

• Like Like x 1
  24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

VY is the best ever qb in college history. Sam would have to go unbeaten next year and have a great playoff series for a championship to be mentioned in the same class as VY.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

This thread is going to become the new "Mira Sorvino eating an ice cream cone." It'll get ttt'd every time he friggin plays. Even a mediocre game during Sam's senior season will bring out the naysayers.

26. Horn2RunAgain

My ranking as of today

VY
    Bobby Layne
    Colt
    James Street
    Robert Brewer
    Duke Carlisle
    Marty Akins
    Eddie Phillips
    Randy McEachern

That's nine. I'm not sure if Gardere, Moerschel, Ash, Wade, or McIvor belongs at ten

I liked the game plan put forth today for Sam, and he had his best game of his career (loved it, gutty performance). Hopefully he'll earn his way up, but there are too many losses with him as qb to mediocre teams for me to put him at ten or better. If he continues to play like today he will move way up.

27. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Is
    it fair to go after him for losses in his freshman and sophomore seasons? I’ll agree we need two more years of results before he’s fully gradeable for top 10 all time, but colt mccoy looked like crap in a couple of games his freshman and sophomore seasons....

28. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Good list but missing Major, Simms, and James Brown.

29. Horn2RunAgain

Wow Bill , you are so right. My apologies

VY
    Bobby Layne
    Colt
    Major
    Slick Street
    Robert Brewer
    Duke Carlisle
    Chris Simms
    Marty Akins