HS Playoffs

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by horntooter, Feb 22, 2009.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I cannot speak to the current rules, but I know that one of the reasons I chose to graduate early nearly 25 years ago (from Nimitz, I should add, although it was the statewide initiatives that Ross Perot was pushing) was the changes on the number of days that could be missed for ANY extracurricular activities. It mattered not if we left 10 minutes early or if we were gone all day- it counted as a day missed and we were going to be limited to something like 10 days (I forget the precise number or whether it was per year or per semester, but I know it was going to cut into the activities I was involved with so I took an Honors scholarship and left early).

Once you got into the excess numbers, it was going to impact the abilities to graduate no matter what grades someone possessed.

And, all of that being said, Nimitz has never exactly been noted for having administrators that could properly seize upon a potential public relations bonanza and has always tended to mismanange certain situations...this seems to be no different.

2. tott10

tott10 500+ Posts

article from the Statesman about Pflugerville drawing the tough 5A semi-final against Nimitz & Griner. the semi-final schedule is at the bottom of the article.

Cokie's team plays on Thursday night at 8:00 -- Hays vs. Waco Midway.

Pflugerville vs. Nimitz is on Friday night at 8:30

3. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Any updates on Cassie Peoples? Is she definitely out for the state tournament? Sounds like Cy-Fair would need her to have a chance at Nimitz if they get to the final. It is hard to imagine that Ogwumike would be able to dominate inside against Griner like she does against other teams.

4. tott10

tott10 500+ Posts

article from the Houston Chronicle about Cy-Fair's win over College Park.

from the article -- Point guard Cassie Peoples broke her leg in Cy-Fair’s 46-45 win over Westfield in the regional quarterfinals Tuesday.

bummer that Peoples will miss out on the tournament. hopefully she'll have a smooth rehab and recovery. Ogwumike had a career game against College Park...quite a stat line: 37 points, 24 rebounds, 8 blocks and 2 steals.

5. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

That is an impressive line! I hope Cy-Fair wins and that Nimitz wins so that we can see Ogwumike vs Griner.

6. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

The more I think about this the more it irritates me. And poo on the Mickey D people for not allowing her to play in the game and forgo all of the other events. I have half a mind to cut down my morning consumption of Sausage Egg McMuffins from 3 to 2 in protest.

Sounds like Griner is getting the short end of the stick.
    The Link

7. rosevilleblock

rosevilleblock 250+ Posts

whos going to take Griners spot on the roster? Wonder if Erika Flores might get consideration. Replace a Texan with a Texan.

8. CamrnCrz1974

CamrnCrz1974 100+ Posts

Griner is not going to be replaced.

And I think it is Lauren Flores.

9. Glad2BeBack

Glad2BeBack 100+ Posts

She IS or ISN'T? Last post is conflicting

10. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

According to the article she will not be replaced. Maybe they are hoping that the school district will get pressured into letting her attend.

11. tott10

tott10 500+ Posts

i think Cam was just correcting the name of the recruit (Lauren Flores) mentioned in the other post.

Griner won't be replaced in the game, but her name will remain on the AA list. i'm still conflicted on this. obviously she must have an excessive number of unexcused absences for the school to not allow her to take the 5 days off. it's just amazing that it's never happened before, and the one time it does, it's with one of the biggest recruits ever to play in the McDs game. very unfortunate.

12. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

The part that bothers me is that the McDonald's people will not allow her to participate in a limited schedule. I realize that if they make one exception that they may have to make others, but I also think that to expect high school players to commit to 5 days of activities is a bit excessive. And as the article mentioned, that does not even include travel time. That is basically a 7 day commitment to play in an all star game.

And do they really need a lot of practice time? This is a bunch of players who are going to go out and demonstrate their individual talents. It is not as if they need to be a well oiled machine to do that.

13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

From teh AISD Administrative Policies manual for this year:
    "A child shall not have unexcused absences on 10 or more days or parts of days within a six month
    period in the same school year or on three or more days or parts of days within a four-week period
    from school (Family Code Sec. 51.03)."

Sounds like it is the second part of the policy that creates the problem.

14. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Yeah, this appears to be the issue since this it sounds as if she would miss at least 4 days in that week alone: "or on three or more days or parts of days within a four-week period from school"

WOW...that really bites for Griner. Talk about missing out on an opportunity to show the world where the women's game is headed.

I don't understand the decision they made about the Phoenix tournament. Why would they prevent the entire team from going to that tournament just because Griner couldn't go? Sounds like they may be on a bit of a power trip to me.

15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

f/u on Griner. Sounds like a mess there.

16. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Cokie's Midway team is headed to the championship game on Saturday.
    The Link

I went to the game tonight. Cokie looked great. That DeLisa Gross is one amazing player as well....and Coach Mulkey's daughter is also a gamer!!! Congrats to Cokie and the Midway team!!!

17. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

Griner's dad is now saying that the trip to Miami would be too expensive for HIM? I'm sorry, but did airfare go up that much in a week? The game is still 3 or 4 weeks away? Good lord, it seems as if he is now trying to be a martyr. He needs to say "thank you for reconsidering and we look forward to seeing Brittney participate in the McDonald's events."

18. burlyhorn

burlyhorn 25+ Posts

Just wanted to say that from all accounts and the video that I saw, Brittany Griner will be very tough for Mansfield Summit. However, as a team, I doubt that Nimitz will have played against a better defensive team than what they will see on Saturday. Should be a great game. Summit has a post player who will be at TCU next year. She is 6 feet tall but is good at blocking out and rebounding. Look forward to it.

19. OrangeForLife

OrangeForLife 250+ Posts

I was at the 5A game tonight & Griner is the REAL deal. Wow. Wish we weren't going to be seeing her for the next 4 years! [​IMG] Had the crowd on their feet in the warm-up when she started dunking.

20. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

21. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Funny. Coach Brock was sitting one row behind KM!!!!!

22. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

23. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

24. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

page 6, to the right of KM...
    The Link

is that him? maybe i'm wrong.....if i am, he has an imposter in the crowd!!!!! [​IMG]

25. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Yes, that looks like him. Did KM think she was a Baptist revival or something?

26. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like Pflugerville was hanging close until Nneka Enemkpali got hurt and Griner basically had her way inside afterwards. Griner sounds like she will be a game changer like Parker or Paris.

Hope Nneka Enemkpali is okay but I hate to hear that they had the reaction to the injury that she did. Just sounds like a really bad injury.

27. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

What really sets me back on my heels about Griner is that she just started playing three years ago, iirc? Talk about a player with unlimited upside. [​IMG]

28. caesarscott

caesarscott 100+ Posts

same rules as the boy's have. both teams come out and they do their layup lines and then clown around with dunks until the zebras show up. no more dunking then. usually its not a big deal for girls teams as 99.999% of them dont have a dunker.

don't see Griner having a problem with summitt. pflugerville beat them at their own gym earlier in the season.

29. TXtoCO

TXtoCO 1,000+ Posts

I am so jealous that I am not there to see the 4A and 5A finals. I am excited about getting to see the 5A game on TV.

Good luck to Reed! Would love to see her team bring home the championship trophy.

30. burlyhorn

burlyhorn 25+ Posts

Pflugerville did beat them by 4 at a Houston tournament early in the season. Griner will score at least 30 but I am interested to see how the rest of the team does. Summit has beaten two different teams with great scorers in the playoffs and held both teams under 50 while allowing 30 points each to their stars.