HVAC off - air condition not working HELP

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Hayden_Horn, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

what's the HVAC refer to? the unit in the attic or the unit outside.

2. WBH

WBH < 25 Posts

Both HVAC = heating, ventilation and air conditioning

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

HVAC is a system, like an electrical system or a plumbing system. If you aren't getting any cool air, you probably have a coolant leak which has caused the system to freeze up. Turn the cooling system to off and turn the fan to on (not auto) for a long while to help unfreeze the system. You can run a hose on the outside part to thaw it out on in addition to those efforts, you might get some very temporary relief while you wait for a repairman.

If the fan isn't even coming on, you might just have a burn out fan, which is actually cheaper probably.

A really dirty set of fins outside might be your only problem and it is the easiest thing to fix by just rinsing them. Spray the hose up through the grates on all 4 sides of the outside unit and you might be pleasantly surprised. It will not do any harm in any event.

4. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

You need to tell us what is wrong:
    a. Fan on but hot air
    b. Out side unit on but inside fan not on
    c. inside fan on but outside compressor not on
    d. Nothing comes on
    e. Is there a lot of water in the condensation pan

It can be a dozen different things including having a $12 relay go out that keeps it from coming on.

How old is your system

5. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

it was some switch or another. i actually used my home warranty.

the fan wasn't even blowing. i was getting nothing. luckily, it was minor.

6. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

well mine froze up.
    to answer your questions:
    the fan is blowing and the line outside is frozen solid. Older system...probably 15-20 years old if I had to guess. I ran the fan for a while at 3 in the morning to defrost it. also poured tap water on the line to speed up part of the defrosting.
    I'll see if I can clean it out tomorrow and hopefully that will help.
    I had it recharged with freon last summer.
    any other suggestions besides cleaning and checking the condenser pan?

7. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

At that age I am sure that you have a freon leak. Your compressor will probably go out shortly as well.

8. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

Frozen lines are usually from limited airflow across the coils due to broken fan or dirty filter or a freon leak.

9. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

There is a product that will seal some freon (refrigerant) leaks. Most of the big HVAC companies will not tell you about it because it is cheap and it obviates the need for an entire new, expensive system. I had a small leak in a system and had the big guys come out several times before they told me I had to get a whole new system. They didn't tell me that until the system was out of warranty. I then had a guy put in the leak sealant. That was 5 years ago.