Hypothetical schedules in the Pac 16

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by goredho, Sep 6, 2011.

1. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

The assumptions: OU, Texas, Tech & OSU go to the Pac 12. There would be 2 divisions with 8 teams. Every year we play the 7 other teams in our division, and 2 from the other division. This gives us 9 conference games and I think will be easiest to meld existing schedules into.

It will be interesting to see how they divide up the divisions. I am going to go with CU, Utah, AU, ASU, Texas, TT, OU, OSU being in an eastern division. This seems to be the least disruptive to traditional rivalries in the Pac 10 and the Big 12.

So every year we get: OU, OSU, TT, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado. Here are some hypothetical schedules we could see from this conference. Home games are asterisked.

Year 1
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU*
    Tech
    Utah*
    Arizona
    Arizona State*
    Colorado
    USC*
    UCLA

Year 2
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Tech*
    Utah
    Arizona*
    Arizona State
    Colorado*
    USC
    UCLA*

Year 3
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU*
    Tech
    Utah*
    Arizona
    Arizona State*
    Colorado
    Cal*
    Washington

Year 4
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Tech*
    Utah
    Arizona*
    Arizona State
    Colorado*
    Cal
    Washington*

Year 5
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU*
    Tech
    Utah*
    Arizona
    Arizona State*
    Colorado
    Oregon*
    Oregon State

Year 6
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Tech*
    Utah
    Arizona*
    Arizona State
    Colorado*
    Oregon
    Oregon State*

Year 7
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU*
    Tech
    Utah*
    Arizona
    Arizona State*
    Colorado
    Stanford*
    WSU

Year 8
    --------
    Oklahoma
    OSU
    Tech*
    Utah
    Arizona*
    Arizona State
    Colorado*
    Stanford
    WSU*

To me those are a lot of interesting games. We get what is left that is worth a damn out of the Big 12 (except maybe Missou), and pick up some new ones. Beyond that, there are 3 out-of-conference games a year. We could schedule 2 tuneup games and a test game before conference play every year, or even continue the A&M rivalry if we and they want to.

What do you all think?

2. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

I think it's a long post.

3. ShatyUT

ShatyUT 100+ Posts

The move west interests me. I am excited to get to go to those road games and also hope we keep the A&M game as well. I felt that way last year when this was possible then.

I don't think it would change anything but I would hope our existing non-conf games that are scheduled for the next 7 or so years would not change. I'm excited to travel to each of those locations.

4. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

5. WabashCannon

WabashCannon 250+ Posts

I would schedule 2 different teams from the other division every year instead of playing the same 2 teams for 2 years in a row. I would also not play USC and UCLA in the same year. Try to spread them out so we'd play USC and Washington St, UCLA and Oregon, Stanford and Oregon St, and Cal and Washington.

6. goredho

goredho 100+ Posts

Good points. For fan travel purposes, mixing up destinations is definitely better. I don't travel to away games, so it didn't really factor into my hypothetical.