I Am Calling It Now

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by militaryhorn, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Payback is going to be a bioch next year. They will be the team replacing a lot of experience and also their QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

AB, just maybe we won’t have to wait until next September for payback. In fact, I’ll take 1-1 versus LSU “this season,” and 2-0 versus the land thieves.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Herman defended the call and effort in his press conference and credited Burrow with making an incredible throw going down over one of his offensive lineman, which was an accurate appraisal of what occurred.

I especially was heartened when Herman said, "We (the coaches) do not talk about 'woulda, coulda, shoulda' " which is exactly the correct view going forward whether one is a fan, a player or a coach.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I agree with Herman’s assessment. He knew that 3rd and 17 was ball game and he didn’t want to rely on fresh, soph CB’s. Honestly, I probably would have called a blitz there too. Joe Burrow is really good! He just beat us, he out dueled Sam. Sorry, it’s the truth, time to move on now!

:bevo:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

AC, I’m not sure I agree that Sam was out-dueled. Consider the caliber of defenses each was facing. I would argue that as of now, LSU’s D is superior to ours, and perhaps not by just a little. Given that consideration, I would argue that Sam more than held his own.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Let me add that on the 3rd and 17, after having just sacked Burrows, I would have considered placing four DBs at about 15 yards back, and another 4 at about 10 yards. We could have brought one of the closer four.

No way I would have blitzed three plus one, leaving just four players to cover the entire field! Not with that WR talent. I get the concept but if the deep DBs keep the play in front of them, there’s a very good chance that LSU would not have made the first down.

Orlando and Herman rolled the dice by bringing 6 + 1 when all they needed was a stop at 16 yards or less. It was just too big a gamble for me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Drop Ossai back for an INT

• Like Like x 1
  8. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

It wasn't just 3rd and 17 that was the ball game. A blitz was necessary as we needed a sack or incompletion. If we sit back and give up say 10 or 11 yards, no way Orgeron was going to punt on 4th with his gassed defense that had no chance of stopping us at that point. I don't think our defense would have stopped a 4th and 7 or 8 without getting lucky. Burrow almost got sacked but found the little hole in the pocket and made a tough throw. He won the play. Still Texas didn't quit and came back again and had a chance at the end.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Definitely disagree. Risk turning the ball over at about the 50 or pin us down around the 10 or so? I think he punts. Either that or he would be sending a message to his vaunted defense that he didn’t trust them. Plus, they could have had the opportunity to enter the Guinness Book of Records for the most fake injuries during one drive...

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Let me add that Sam was just named the Manning Star of the Week. Hmmm? Guess he played OK after all.

• Like Like x 4
  11. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

He did. I admit after the game I was mad and posted after some margarita during the game.

That said, TH said today what I said since Saturday. Love having Ehlinger but he needs to improve the consistency of his accuracy.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. BurntOrangeLH

LSU has a NFL sized OL.

LA Tech has a very quick and mobile QB, who made quick decisions (by necessity) and knew where his targets were expected to be. Hurts and maybe Brewer will be the only ones we will face like them unless Purdy regains his form.

13. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Agree with your posts Duke. Burrow and Ehlinger are two of the best QB's in the Country along with Tua and Trevor Lawrence. One of these four will win the Heisman. No doubt. Now as for comparing Burrow and Ehlinger in this game. Burrow won, he stood in there on 3rd and 17 and delivered a strike. You have to man up and give him the credit he earned. Sam played a great game and his redemption will come later in the season. I can guarantee you that. He will earn his respect! But on 9/7, Joe Burrow won the duel. I really hope to see LSU vs Texas in the CFP. What a rematch! Sam has to earn that right, but I believe he will do it! His Coach, his teammates. They will find a way. I just have faith. This team has "IT". VY sees it, I see it, a lot of us who Love Texas see it. I think Coach Herman sees it too. Even Joe Burrow and Coach O know they beat a great team, not a good team, a great team. Texas will get the secondary playing better, get the injured RB's back and we will kick *** this season and get there in the end. Just hang on, you'll see!

I have had to face impossible odds before, so I appreciate people facing difficulties and pulling through it. On 9/7 that was Joe Burrow. I
    Love Sam as a player and Love Texas. But when I see a man not back down when he is facing impossible odds (all out blitz on 3rd and 17), give him respect. He pulled through and won for his team. Does'nt matter which team. Sam played great and never gave up. I am proud of his effort. It is NOT his fault Texas lost.

• Like Like x 3
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'm not speculating about the future. This week we play someone called Rice. Don't know if that's a college or a Chinese drive thru take away. Don't care. The Horn's should come out with fire in their eyes and flame and smoke coming out of their noses and mouths, ready to destroy everything wearing the opposite colors. After the Horns are done with that destruction, they and us as fans, can focus on their next weeks victim. Divide and Conquer, No Prisoners! Do that every game for the next 12 games and good things will happen

• Like Like x 1
  15. BurntOrangeLH

Burrow was actually falling over an OL when he threw, so more credit to him.

It would be great if LSU and Texas played for the CFP, but each would have to beat AL or Clem if they both make the CFP.

Have to give Chaisson his due for apologizing that he underestimated Ehlinger's ability. Orgeron too for saying he knew "We could not stop Texas." Only Texas stopped Texas.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

AC, let’s agree to disagree. To reasonably assess the performance of the QBs we have to take into account the defense each was facing. Sam was facing a more challenging defense last Saturday than was Burrows. No knock on our D. Just the truth. Heck, Herman said as much in his presser today, calling LSU’s at least a top 10 defense.

Given that reality, I would argue that Ehlinger’s performance was at least the equal of Burrows’.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Am I seeing things or did the LSU player have our guy ,who lunged at Burrow and missed on 3rd and 17, around the ankles..That would constitute holding, which should have been called; and nullified the play, and forced them to run a 3rd and 27 play.

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, after ou destroys UCLA in the Rose Bowl this Saturday Hurts will zoom to the top of the list. Riley is the new QB guru so it is up to Texas (or an NFL team by hiring Riley) to put a stop to the ou QB nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And 2/3 or more of the people voting on polls or pushing narratives out there barely or don't even watch the teams/games.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

No problem Dukesteer. This will all get settled in the CFP I hope. I do think Sam will play with a chip on his shoulder and he should. He will get chances for redemption. One loss is not the season. This debate between Burrow vs Ehlinger can only get settled on the field. One game is not enough of a sample.

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He out dueled our defense.
    He wasn't playing against Sam.
    I believe their numbers were almost identical.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Im not making excuses for Sam...no need to...he played well..
    Just watching his energy level at the start, body language etc, I think it is very likely that all the calls, texts, crap pulled by classless fans and players had a little effect on his rest, preparation, sleep, whatever. Very proud of him; as I personally believe he was overcoming quite a bit to play as well as he did....not perfect by any means...but pretty darn good.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  23. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

The blitz was not the problem... It was the WAY we blitzed.... We had 3 man front brought one guy early and the other 2 or 3 came from 5 yards back... they always get there too late or run into an uncovered OL and get blocked or chipped. We should have been in a four man front and brought backers up close, then we could have sent some and dropped one or two into coverage. Could have collapsed the pocket quickly and probably gotten to QB.......Herman needs to call Greg Robinson and have him teach Orlando a thing or two.

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

You are correct sir. Except Herman's response would be thst lining up like that shows the QB the coverage assignments in Orlando's defense concept.

25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I have been saying since before the season started that our DBs are going to take their lumps but by the end of the season, they will be pretty salty bunch. I am sticking to that narrative. I hoped our safeties would be able to make up for their mistakes.

I do have a big concern moving forward. Our Dline isn't a great pass rush line. They are big and strong and great at stopping the run, but they are not quick enough to be effective pass rushers. The only real quickness we have on the dline right now is Bimage. Other than him, they are solid but not quick. This means for the rest of the season we have to rely on our blitzes to put real pressure on the QB.

This is something that only recruiting can fix. I wouldn't mind seeing us spin down McCullough to DE just to get a little more speed on the edge rush.

26. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

AB, the question will be whether or not they have evolved to any significant extent by October12th. I’m.......hopeful.

The spotlight is on Orlando as well. He needs to find a way to better/more effectively utilize the enormous talent he has back there. Saturday was a fantastic teaching opportunity. We’ll see if they have progressed back in Austin on the 21st. If so, perhaps we will see your “salty bunch” in Dallas next month.

Man do I hope so.

27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Duke we need the evolution we’ll before Oct 12. They will be severely challenged in 10 days.

28. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

They don't have that many starting SRs, so their team won't be very green. They can replace their QB with a transfer like the kid they have now. Payback will not be easy.

• Agree Agree x 1