I believe Sumlin is on his way to a contract extension

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Crockett, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think Sumlin is on the way to the best season since Johnny Football's departure. One point loss to UCLA after having to resort to an ill-prepared true frosh QB in an offense unsuited for him. The only other sure loss I see on the schedule is Alabama.

Auburn and Florida are tough matchups, but those teams aren't out of the Aggies class. I bet the Aggies take one of those, and roll over everybody else. LSU looks like they will be as easy to beat as New Mexico. Ole Miss and MSU ... undercoached and undermanned ...respectively. 9 regular season wins and a bowl victory means Sumlin gets to stay at A&M until Saban retires so he can become the Dean of SEC coaches.

Mark this thread. You read it here first.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. BallsofSteerToo

BallsofSteerToo 100+ Posts

My exact thoughts after the game last night.
    I hope it's true!
    I hope it's true!:coolnana:

• Like Like x 2
  3. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Agree. This would be a good thing for us.

4. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's fine by me.

5. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

My sarcasm meter just exploded.

• Like Like x 1
  6. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I think he is a good coach. It is not easy to win at schools like Aggie. For example: UCLA, Michigan state, Oklahoma state, Cincinnati (probably the best comparison), Pitt, etc... Perhaps I have lower expectations than most, but I think he has done a very good job.

• Like Like x 2
  7. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Dear aggy, please give Sumlin another 10 years+.:hookem3:

8. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I follow your well thought out logic and you may be correct. However my knowledge of aggy football history and skill of screwing up a golden opportunity make me skeptical of aggy wiining 9 games and winning a bowel game.

• Like Like x 2
  9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Does A&M really want in a bidding war with Tennessee and LSU? Add to that trio possibilities at Nebraska, UCLA, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Texas Tech, Arizona State, Arizona all muddying the waters, and it should be a really fun December,

• Like Like x 2
  10. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Honestly, the Ags look pretty good and the SEC doesn't look that great so far, but I agree with WorsterMan. Nine wins is probably a stretch.

11. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

The SEC is not good this year. You've got Alabama and Georgia but after that, everybody else is average, if not below average. Because of that, Ags will get 8 or 9 wins and Sumlin stays. I think that's a good thing for Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yeah; if any $EC East team (other than Florida) is the next best thing to Alabama that is not good for the $EC.

13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Did you see the Aggies hold Alabama to a single digit win 27-19? The best loss of the season so far against the mighty Crimson Tide. One thing I love about Aggies is their ability to perceive and embrace the Moral Victory.

I was traveling and didn't want to spoil enjoyment of the Longhorns -Wildcats on tape delay so listened A&M game. I love Dave South with his positive attitude. One call stood out. Paraphrasing cause I can't remember the exact words.
    South: Kellen Mond is tearing through the vaunted Alabama secondary ... it took three tacklers to bring him down.
    Dave Elmendorf: Fumble, Alabama recovers on their own 48 yard line.
    South: I did not see that.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Dave South is the aggy gift that keeps on giving. Too bad the dumbfuck plans to retire.

• Like Like x 1
  15. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I only saw a few plays during our time outs, but they looked good IMHO. I think they'll probably win out except Auburn and maybe drop 1 of LSU/Fl. Best guess is 8-4 once again and then it's up to the bowl. They played pretty solid D last night. O did better then I would have thought too. No defensive TDs given up. No one wants moral victories, but they over achieved by a large margin and covered by almost 20 pts. I hate the aggs, but I can still acknowledge a good game when I see one.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

My wet burnt Orange dream.... Aggy goes 9-3 , they can't justify firing him and give him an extension. Recruits know by now he's a paper tiger, we immediately regain our dominance with in state recruiting. Another few 2005s in the near future.

Hey, I believe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Quite frankly we've already regained our in state recruiting dominance.....I really don't believe next year will be any different than what is going on now because Herman and team are recruiting beasts. Sumlin or no Sumlin won't really matter and they won't be able to get a big splash replacement who might influence recruiting.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Texas

Joe Texas 25+ Posts

Alabama is very beatable. I watched the aTm Bama game and was not impressed by either team. Aggie DL pushed Tide OL around and kept pressure on Hurts, the Bama QB. Bama receivers dropped several balls. While the score wound up close, the outcome was never in doubt. Bama defense is very stout but vulnerable to a dual threat QB.

Aggies will probably lose to Auburn. Auburn runs well and plays good D. LSU can be good or bad.

Sumlin is about as good as the Aggies are going to do. I think he's probably safe.

19. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Blah blah blah Aggie 8-5

• Like Like x 1
  20. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 3
  21. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Sumlin may win 10 games and still get ousted....even after the programs most epic moral victory in history last week.

22. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Did you see who just beat Florida in the Swamp? I think somebody needs a new Mont Blanc Pen for a multi-million dollar contract extension.

• Like Like x 1
  23. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Sumlin's had a great year breaking in a raw freshman and finding ways to win. They got lucky last night. Obvious block in the back on the Kirk return that was not called and that changed the game. But Mond continues to make plays in crunch time and the D is 100% improved. He's earned another year or 2 up to this point.

• Like Like x 1
  24. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Extension

25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Er uhm .... mistakes may have been made...

• Like Like x 1
  26. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Florida and Tennessee are plum jobs ... obviously places where a run for the National Championship can be launched and with commensurate salary/expectations and they are likely going to try to make a splash hire.

Aggies can't match history with those schools, but they can match the money.

Except Matt Campbell... where would you find an up and coming head coaching prospect worthy of a bidding war? This time last year Larry Fedora looked like maybe one ... but good luck selling an already disgruntled fan base on a coach currently 1-8 in his sixth year as Power 5 Coach.

I guess you can try to poach the sport's luminaries ... Saban, Swinney, Meyer, Franklin, Peterson, Harbaugh... but the buyouts are astronomical and those guys would probably want to make well in excess of $10 million a year compensation on top of the Montezuma's ransom you would pay their current employer. Gundy, Leach are maybe on the next tier... but even to land those guys you are going to be talking money only CEOs and investment bankers are comfortable tossing around.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  27. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Marginalized aggy ego has turned SEC, SEC, ETC.

These people think they can CAN Stumblin and coaches will flock to the opening... the black hole that is aTm.

REALITY CHECK aggy... Who are you in the college football world!?

28. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I just don’t see TN in this conversation anymore. This modern day sweepstakes passed them by years ago. The legacy of Johnny Majors, Fuller & Manning are as ancient as the bedside alarm clock. TN is stuck in the abyss of the SEC East. FL & GA are still relevant, but the Bama spell over the SEC has relegated many (including TN) to dwarf status. No offense to the fake UT fans....I keed, I keed!!!

29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Knoxvegas is to the SEC as Lincoln is to the Big XII, simply at perennial 7-5/8-4 stupidly expecting 12-0. It remains behind Ole Miss and Miss State in the pecking order, but Jon Gruden can and will help them fall behind Arkansas & South Carolina.

• Like Like x 1
  30. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

My two cents
    Tennessee was good by taking the good players from the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky and northern Mississippi. Competition in the SEC and ACC in that area means all pay the price. I think Clemson very good means Tennessee throne is taken.