'I Feel Duped on Climate Change'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Namewithheld, Feb 9, 2012.

1. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Told you.... CON MAN!

(and we live in the same hood)

2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Impressive education. Surely you'd understand why no one should take the word of an anonymous internet poster. I'd be genuinely interested to hear your experience in the peer review data analysis process. Isn't it common for groups like NASA and NOAA and other similar groups to share their data and analysis?

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I left academia when I graduated, but based on conversations with my brother who has PhD in Astronomy and worked in academia for a number of years, the researchers in the field are some of the most thin-skinned and petulant people you ever met in your life. It's because their livelihood depends on publishing and pal-review. In other words, if they could stick a knife in someone's back to get ahead, they would. The people at the top of the pyramid are no less ruthless than Saddam (to borrow from another West Mall thread).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

OK, I'm convinced. Climate change is real.global warming.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Time for ******** like Kerry to practice what they preach.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Climate Scientists: Antarctic Temperatures Cooling Every Year Since 1998
    http://principia-scientific.org/cli...c-temperatures-cooling-every-year-since-1998/

" Published on July 24, 2016
    Written by Thomas D Williams PhD

Writing in the journal Nature, a group of scientists have documented that temperatures in the Antarctic Peninsula have been falling steadily for the last 18 years at the rate of nearly one degree Fahrenheit per decade, countering earlier warming trends.

During the second half of the 20th century, the Antarctic Peninsula experienced an extended warming period igniting fears of apocalyptic catastrophes like that depicted in the 2004 Hollywood climate change disaster film, “The Day After Tomorrow.” According to the new essay, however, titled “Climate science: Cooling in the Antarctic,” scientists are now saying that the warming trend was caused by natural factors and reversed itself again by natural causes just before the turn of the millennium.

Nature’s editor noted that although the Antarctic Peninsula is “frequently presented as a case study of rapid warming,” scientists John Turner and colleagues have now shown that warming trends have abated and “for the early years of the twenty-first century the peninsula has in the main been cooling.” ....."

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Well, never mind then.

• Like Like x 2
  10. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Graduated with geology degree from the greatest university UT, to me any data that spands a couple hundred years is interesting but not proof. Earth has been in cold and warm cycles over a couple billion years. Some geologist theorized earth was totally covered in ice. So who knows if we are on a 100,000 year warming curb.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Strong/Violent Tornadoes are occurring less, not more, over time

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. mop

mop 2,500+ Posts

is this the new climate change thread? wow....we need to dig up the old one as well. we are 4 years past when the Arctic ice cap was supposed to completely melt away int he summer.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

These people know no shame

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Day One of Kerry Trip Producing As Much CO2 as Average American Does in 1 Year

"Secretary of State John Kerry winged his way Monday from New Zealand to the Middle East on the next leg of what may be his longest trip yet, a journey during which America’s top diplomat will account for roughly 16.5 tons of carbon dioxide emissions.

That’s more or less the amount of CO2 – one of the key “greenhouse gases” blamed for global warming – produced by the average American in a full year, according to World Bank data...."

http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

So, I was a loadmaster on C-130s and I used to teach all new loadmasters that came into the Air Force.

That plane in the picture is a C-17 and it burns fuel at a rate of 15,000 pounds of JP-8 a hour. It is roughly 7 lbs per gallon of fuel. That works out to approx. 2,143 gallons a hour. The flight from Christchurch, New Zealand to the ice is probably 4-6 hours minimum.

Hell, a typical training mission in a C-17 is five hours and if they are on a mission, they could fly up 16 hrs in a day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

LOL - stories like this

Some of them were running around nekkid, like it was Burning Man East -- oops

• Like Like x 2
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The view from my top floor window, and this was before yesterday afternoon when the biggest snowfall came.
    IMG_20170111_143642.jpg

We got a lot of snow in the last few days. In fact, just yesterday our entire street had to stay home, and these aren't snow wussies who can't drive on snow and ice. These are Germans who are used to driving in it and have winter tires on their cars. I tried to get out but got stuck in the snow as soon as my car got out of the driveway.

It didn't get down to -30, but I did see -11 C three days ago. But if you ask the local population, they'll tell you they're scared to death of global warming.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have always preferred the heat

23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I don't mind heat, but I lived in Texas for 27 years. That's enough heat for me.

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I surf, and i HATE cold water
    Always have
    I once surfed Ireland, thought I was gonna die -- started shivering and couldnt stop
    Warm water or nothing

25. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I wouldn't surf in cold water. You ski in the cold. You don't surf. And you don't do anything in cold water.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Thats the problem (for me at least)
    Since most folks feel same way, some of best surf in world is just sitting there uncrowded
    But, I just cant do it
    I did (some) when I was younger, not anymore

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  27. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm told some of the best diving in the world is in cold water - I've only dove warm because that's just where I've been when I've gone diving, and plus I'm a cold water wuss. One of my dive instructors told me once that some of the richest marine life out there can be seen in dives off the Northern California coast.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Why did the NYT hide the numbers for "The Hottest Year On Record?"

http://thefederalist.com/2017/01/18/nyt-hid-numbers-hottest-year-record/#.WH_g8vnj4Q9.twitter

"They say that mathematics is the language of science, which is a way of saying that science is quantitative. It is moved forward by numbers and measurements, not just by qualitative observations. “It seems hot out” is not science. Giving a specific temperature, measured by a specific process at a specific time, compared to other systematically gathered measurements—that is science.

So when you read an article proclaiming that, for the third year in a row, last year was the hottest year on record, you might expect that right up front you will get numbers, measurements, and a statistical margin of error. You know, science stuff. Numbers. Quantities. Mathematics.

And you would be wrong.

I just got done combing through a New York Times report titled, “Earth Sets a Temperature Record for the Third Straight Year.” The number of relevant numbers in this article is: zero.

We are not told what the average global temperature was, how much higher this is than last year’s record or any previous records, or what the margin of error is supposed to be on those measurements. Instead, we get stuff like this.

Marking another milestone for a changing planet, scientists reported on Wednesday that the Earth reached its highest temperature on record in 2016—trouncing a record set only a year earlier, which beat one set in 2014. It is the first time in the modern era of global warming data that temperatures have blown past the previous record three years in a row.

Note to the New York Times: “trouncing” and “blown past” are phrases appropriate to sports reporting, not science reporting. Except that no sports reporter would dare write an article in which he never bothers to give you the score of the big game.

Yet that’s what passes for “science reporting” on the issue of global warming, where asking for numbers and margins of errors apparently makes you an enemy of science. Instead, it’s all qualitative and comparative descriptions. It’s science without numbers....."

• Like Like x 3
  29. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

cool pict, Deez.

Now I'm gonna fight. put up yer dukes.

As you know, there is a segment of our national population ... the one which pretty well owns the predominant news "reporters" ... and Texans take a lotta chin music for this very thing you've addressed right cheer.

While certainly not the majority of the population ... I think the Panhandle sees as much frozen precip as anyone not living next to a great lake or a rocky mountain.

Understand this ... NO ONE drives on ice. ALL SKATE.

Two personal anecdotes: a young matriculating-at-The University ... just lost his ROTC pilot slot and was traveling the nation petitioning Air National Guard, and Air Force Reserve units ... everywhere. This effort brought the motivated young feller to Denver in December. Flew into Stapleton, rented a car which first required excavation from snow pile, then a drive out to Buckley seeking an F16 job.

from the "cockpit" of his Chevy Cavalier rental, the lad observed scores of Broncos, Blazers, 4x4 pickups ... all with COLORADO plates ... stuck in the ditch ... as our hero drove in search of his suitor for a slot in the USAF Pilot Training program.

Hmm. "knows better how to drive in the snow and ice?" well, that's probably true because this UT student became a USAF fighter pilot, so, yes, he could do anything, but even he couldn't force the "veterans of frozen precip" into their respective ditches.

Then ... and I've shared this one before ... when Jerrah hosted the Super Bowl. Finals at Tarleton State University Dec '10 ... just up the road from this reporter. The first wave of ice bowl prior to that which made North Texas more like the natural habitat for Steeler/Packers ... but ... 6+ inches of ice. The campus was shut-down, with virtually every other outfit which didn't have linemen and cherry pickers.

TSU had at least one mouthy yankee professor who got into the media blasting the administration for closing the campus. "... if a northerner were in charge of this operation, this campus would be open. We know how to drive in the snow."

Same day ... 70+ car pile-up in Wisconsin ... in the snow ... not upon ice.

OK ... bonus anecdote. HS playoffs 2013 headed to Waco ... ice/snow/sleet all over the road for the 70 mile journey to Waco. This reporter joined his locals to venture out and watch their would be Semi Finalists team. Though the opportunity was great, I didn't hear about any mishap. Lotta pickups carrying round bales that day. ;)

So ... whenever someone wants to puff their chest about operations in the snow ... I just reflect upon what I've actually witnessed ... and it's that ... save for a snow plow or two and willingness to corrode millions of vehicles with salted roads ... the only difference is the mouth.

your turn! :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts