'I Feel Duped on Climate Change'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Namewithheld, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

E-vehicles aren't very safe if the battery pack has any type of malfunction. The flames can get up to 800C and the next generation will get up to 1200C.

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Some forcings in some computer models had to be scaled down to match computer simulations to actual climate observations. But when it came to making centennial projections on which governments rely and drive climate policy, the scaling factors were removed, probably resulting in a 25 to 30 percent over-prediction of the 2100 warming.

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Another embarrassing feature of climate models concerns the earlier of the two twentieth-century warmings from 1910 to 1940, when human influences were much smaller. On average, models give a warming rate of about half of what was actually observed. The failure of the latest models to warm fast enough in those decades suggest that it’s possible, even likely, that internal climate variability is a significant contributor to the warming of recent decades, Koonin suggests. “That the models can’t reproduce the past is a big red flag – it erodes confidence in their projections of future climates.” Neither is it reassuring that for the years after 1960, the latest generation of climate models show a larger spread and greater uncertainty than earlier ones – implying that, far from advancing, The Science has been going backwards. That is not how science is meant to work.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

"The moratorium on the asking of questions represents the death of science as understood and described by Popper, a victim of the conflicting requirements of political utility and scientific integrity."

Damn, that sure is true. This is what's really frightening. Stuff that we now understand as scientific fact became so by being questioned for every conceivable flaw usually over long periods of time and by those questions being resolved. Summarily censoring or ridiculing questioning and disputing views is the opposite of doing that, and it will lead to unreliable and sloppy science. We're seeing it with climate change, and we saw it with Covid.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

But it is how politics works.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

Covid and climate change aren’t scientific! They’re a globalist agenda to get humanity to accept more taxation and loss of rights. Covid and climate change obtain one big agenda. Shut down industries the globalists don’t like! BTW this agenda is neither R nor D. Both sides are part of this. The aim is one world Government, one world Religion, one central authority with a much smaller population obeying them. Everything points to that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Everything?

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

OPEC, Russia seen gaining more power with Shell Dutch ruling

"Oil and gas demand is far from peaking and supplies will be needed, but international oil companies will not be allowed to invest in this environment, meaning national oil companies have to step in," said Amrita Sen from Energy Aspects consultancy.

11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If you all ever wonder what ghetto European air conditioning looks like, I just installed it in our bedroom. It's about the most stupid looking ghetto-rigging you'll ever see, is loud as hell, and looks even worse from the outside with the ridiculous hose hanging out the window.

But I'm saving the world, and you're not. "So I've got that going for me, which is nice."

rps20210608_230509.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I do feel more comfortable about the future of planet Earth after seeing that photo.

• Funny Funny x 5
  14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

In England, he only needs it 15 nights or so. After that, it goes back into the closet.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

And here we thought you were over there living the dream...

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

How in the heck is that saving the planet.

17. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Is there a drain tube with that?

18. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It doubles as an enema.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Obviously, it isn't. If you live in Europe for awhile, there are a ton of little things they do to try to save energy and build in a lot of little incentives (pains in the ***) to get you to go along.

For starters, energy is expensive. I pay about 2.5 times as much for electricity per kw/h in the UK as I did in the US. In Germany, it was even higher. Obviously, you probably know that gasoline gets the hell taxed out of it (about $3.07 per gallon) and is therefore very expensive (currently about $7 per gallon). You're going to be more energy conscious if energy is expensive.

Washing machines are very small, and they encourage the use of bogus condenser dryers (again, pain in the ***). That slows everything down, and the expectation is that you'll ultimately do less laundry and will never use more electricity or water than you absolutely must.

Dishwashers are encouraged because they use less water than washing by hand, but they are slow, and though they kinda heat the dishes a little to dry them, that big rush of steam you get when you open an American dishwasher isn't there. No surprise, they don't get as dry, which saves energy.

AC isn't banned, but it's discouraged by cost and hassle. They want you to just leave windows open and run a fan. The problem is that window screens are rarely used, so if you do that you'll have bugs all over your house, and it won't help on the really warm and humid days. Central AC is almost nonexistent outside of grocery stores and would cost a fortune to install, maintain, and operate. They think it's horribly wasteful because very few people need every room air conditioned all the time, and they largely don't build houses to accommodate it. Accordingly, realistically you can only AC a room with a single unit. However, the windows don't open in such a way for a traditional window unit to easily and cleanly fit. That leaves you with these stupid kits that make you leave your window open and kinda sorta but not really seal the window so you at least don't get bombarded with bugs. If your window isn't a perfect fit for the kit, it's a big hassle, and you have to supplement it with duct tape, as I did. But does it save energy over central AC? Undoubtedly. Since most of Europe (at least their leaders and political hacks at the EU) accepts AOC's mentality about climate change, to them I'm saving the world and am very righteous compared to you selfish, earth destroyers in the US. Lol.

20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Lol. Overall, I am, but there are compromises. It's beautiful here, and my home is generally comfortable, and in rooms that don't get a lot of sun, a fan is adequate. However, our bedroom just gets bombarded with sun, and this time of year the sun is out pretty late. When we go to bed, the room is pretty hot. We've been able to make it work with fans and airing out the room before bed, but last night it was just too much. So we set up the AC.

• Like Like x 1
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I was living in Europe the summer of 1994. My ex-wife had been transferred over by Enron (she was/is an attorney) and we lived in Hilversum, The Netherlands. I had quit my job and was preparing for the Nov 1994 CPA exam (which I'm quite proud to say that I passed all four parts in the first sitting). My Father's best friend from Cuba happened to be a Doctor living in Lausanne, Switzerland. He had a sailboat and we sailed across Lake Geneva, drinking wine the whole way. We ended up in Evian and spent the night at some Chateau type place. Now for the story. The windows were open in the room and as you say, there were no screens. We did notice a can of bug spray that had been placed on the chest of drawers. We didn't think much of it except to note that we'd never had a can of bug spray left out in a hotel room before. Well, in the middle of the night I somehow noticed a freakin' army of small bugs on the ceiling directly above the bed. We jumped out of bed and wondered what to do as we did not want to spray them lest they tumble into bed. So I had the brilliant idea of turning on the bathroom light. The result? They all flew in there and were dead on the floor when we checked it out.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Is he insane?

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  23. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

First, sipping wine on Lake Geneva has gotta be one of the coolest things a human being can do.

I don't understand the no screens thing especially when homes are so dependent on being able to open the windows. In Germany I asked about it, and it's just a matter of priorities. Bugs getting into the house just doesn't bother them very much. Apparently sleeping under mosquito nets is somewhat common.

24. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I thought the window AC was supplemental, didn’t realized there was no central air which would make it an extra expense - hence my question, “ why saving the planet”, or something like that?

And those expenses you quote are precisely what the lefties want to bring here so their energy policies can be forced into acceptance.

25. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Yes, it was an amazing trip. Just absolutely spectacular. And he was so cool about the whole thing. He was very calm and it was like he did it all the time which was probably the way he lived his life for the most part. We weren't just sipping either. He kept pouring and pouring wine into our glasses. I couldn't thank the guy enough. I called my Dad to gush and he said, "He owes me." I asked about that and apparently my Dad played a major role in him emigrating to the US long ago from Cuba. Later he ended up in Switzerland.

As for the bugs, you must be right. It makes no sense but priorities are a funny thing. I can't believe it's to save money. Maybe they just like to stick their head out the window.

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  27. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

All Senator Warren has to do to escape the shame and guilt is to accept the truth that oil and gas powered technology is one of the greatest things in the world.

Advocate for technological advancement across the board and live your life Elizabeth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Carbon emissions are only bad if little people in the West are creating them.

29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Or cows.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Blackrock is going after carbon emissions in 3rd world countries too. It's just that they don't listen to them like the idiot CEOs in the US do.