'I Feel Duped on Climate Change'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Namewithheld, Feb 9, 2012.

1. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

And that’s why Biden and company want gas higher - so high we won’t want to travel long distances because it will be too expensive.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Nothing says I care for the environment and climate more than mobilizing an army and starting a war. Trees love war.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

That's because they don't engage in cold war thinking...

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  8. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It's clear they're F'd...

But no problem, right? Renewables can fill the gap and be completely reliable!

But but but, coal? Really Germany? All the pub about your Green selves is a bit of a disconnect from your true reality.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Germany has coal they can mine if they want to. They just want other people to do the dirty work. Russia is willing to do it.

Think though. Doesn't this speak to the fact that German leaders don't fear Russian attack? If they did they would act otherwise.

10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Or they're kissing his butt... Hey Vlady baby... we're still good right?

11. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hmm,,,, they get coal from Russia which they burn but they’re going ‘green’. We get oil from Russia so we can go ‘green.’ Makes sense to me.

12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Thread on the link between overpopulation zealots and Putin.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Ukraine war exposing the real frauds:

14. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

16. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

^ That is a big problem with them. Solid state technology would solve the issue, but Li+ evolve their own O2. So once the fire starts you can't put them out.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I read an article on solid state. It works in the lab but you can only recharge it 2-3 times before it stops working. 20-30 years away from commercialization.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Whoever in North Texas had ordered Porches just saw their new cars sink to the bottom of the Atlantic. The ship done sank.

19. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

His article on this.

My favorite line. "Berlin was faced with a choice between unleashing the wrath of Putin on neighboring countries or inviting the wrath of Greta Thunberg. They chose Putin."

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  22. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

So Putin helped fund environmental activists to get Europe hooked on Russian energy. Dumbasses. Link.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

No surprise. The Russians funded anti-fracing movements here in the US. Same game plan as when they funded the nuclear freeze movement in the 80's, or the anti-Vietnam war movements in the 60's.

It's one of dozens of reasons why the "Russia is bad and full of meanies!!!" theme that the Democrat-media complex came out with circa 2016 to explain away the pathetic performance and loss by Shillery was such a joke.

The left wing has always had funding via the Russians, for various political movements designed to weaken the West. Yet Barry still believes Russia Stole My Election! Sad.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  25. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

and it is this sort of revelation/evolution that will eventually make solar a significant part of the energy picture.

“However, our research shows why this happens and provides a simple fix. This represents a major breakthrough in bringing perovskite technology to commercialization and widespread adoption.” A simple change in manufacturing could usher in longer-lasting thin solar panels (zmescience.com)

This is happening in bits and pieces every week and we need to keep letting it happen. It doesn't mean solar will solve our energy needs by itself and it won't happen over night, but it will happen. We certainly don't want to try to flip the switch in a decade like some dem's want but we also don't want to shut this type of innovation down just because the tech doesn't beat oil/gas now.

26. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

It is all about opportunity cost. If you put money into solar there will be efficiencies and improvements. But that isn't the whole picture. The whole picture is, where is it best to put money today which will yield the best results tomorrow.

We can't predict the future, but we still need to pursue areas where more opportunity is expected. Is that solar, wind, coal, or nuclear?

27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Nukular.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. BrntOrngStmpeDe

I'm not in the energy sector so a precise mix is beyond my abilities but I would suggest that the future requires something along these lines:
    -10 % reduction/efficiencies
    - 30% nuclear
    -20% solar on existing rooftops, parking lots. doesn't make sense to me to acquire vast new spaces just to install solar farms
    -20% oil/gas because there is just some infrastructure that is much better served by this source, at least for the foreseeable future
    -20 % other (wind, geo, wave, etc)

• Like Like x 1
  29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ever replaced a roof? That is what gets me about panels. Better put them on a brand new roof.

30. BrntOrngStmpeDe

yes, that is a problem they still need to work out. and it kind of sucks in the Real Estate market as well right now since appraisers don't give them any value and in some situations you actually have to take them off to sell. but those are really artificial administrative challenges. As soon as Solar panels are part of the roofing industry rather than stand alone specialty service after the fact then that impediment will greatly diminish.