'I Feel Duped on Climate Change'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Namewithheld, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I was just about to say the same thing. I refuse to get these digital connected thermostats for the same reason. Same reason i don't like internet connected anything in my house to control things like my lights, tv, etc. They can just decide when to turn off my lights every day if they wanted to. People used to call me a crazy conspiracy theorist, but this proves I was right. Anything I can control remotely, so can the government. I don't even like having my kids xbox plugged in when he's not using it. When he's playing it knows when I walk into the room. Creepy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And how does it know this?
    What does it do that tells you it knows?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I hated that I had no choice in getting the outside electric meter switched to a smart meter.
    I don't understand the people who are so connected. Colorado is a good example but it won't end there

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

ABD1663F-3EDF-4FEB-89F1-2CF29BF271DF.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

There's plenty of good news about the environment

Humanity is getting more prosperous every day. In a separate report, the United Nations estimates that without global warming, the average person in 2100 would be 450% better-off than today. Global warming means people will only be 434% richer they say. That is not a disaster.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

By the way the above economic prediction assumes a reasonable worst case scenario, which isn’t going to happen. Also, that is for the world, not the US. The impact of global warming in the US will be nil to positive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

HOW DARE YOU
    Post facts.

8. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Of course that assumes that government don't continue to kill fossil fuel use and forcing us to buy things like electrical vehicles. If governments continue to write new regulations and restricting trade, the statements don't apply. It is extrapolating from current data.

Also, I don't believe that climate change will cause a 16% reduction in future economic growth over the next 78 years.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I haven't read. How are Demx justifying forcing EVs in Ca
    With Newsome and rest Begging people NOT to charge Evs?

• Hot Hot x 1
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

They aren't. They just write laws and say, do it or else. Kind of like the covid rules and vaccine mandates.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

There is a video camera on the front of the piece that sits just below the TV. He can be playing a game, I walk into the room and my user name pops up on the screen. Between games it'll give the option for me to join the next game.

I don't even use it, I created the profile a few years ago to play a game with him. It's creepy.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  12. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

UTche
    With your dislike are you saying the lights on the Titanic didn't stay on?

I have seen the movie and pretty sure they did.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I fat cursored that. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I figured BUT I also knew with your background you would know if the lights stayed on or not

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Vol Horn 4 Life

I may be asking this question on the wrong thread. Why does each wheel not have an altenator/generator attached to it to power these electric vehicles? I have to believe with the right technology you would literally never need to charge the batteries because they are constantly charging as you are moving. At the very least cut charging requirements by 50-75%.

19. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

That only works when you are braking and trying to slow down. If you are accelerating, power goes from battery to wheel. If you are decelerating, power goes from wheel to battery. All EV’s and hybrids have regenerative braking. The trouble is that most of the battery power is used to overcome friction (air and road friction). You don’t recover that when breaking. It is an irreversible energy loss. Welcome to thermodynamics and energy cycles.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
  20. Vol Horn 4 Life

I'm not smart enough to argue, but can you explain in a way a dumb person can understand? Seems like with the wheels turning during constant or accelerating speeds you still have power being generated just like a turbine in a dam. Water flows, turbine spins creating energy, energy sent elsewhere. No?

21. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

No, the spinning wheels are pulling the car across the road and through the air, even at constant speed. When accelerating, the wheels require power to overcome inertia of the mass of the car. So power is needed to overcome friction and inertia (if accelerating).

In your analogy of falling water spinning the turbine, the power is in the falling water (called potential energy). For an EV, the power that turns the wheels is electricity via a motor. When the wheels turn the motor, the motor becomes a generator. The wheels only generate power if the something is driving the wheels besides the motor, such as rolling downhill or decelerating by braking.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The turbine doesn’t spin on its own - falling water is driving it. Similarly, the wheels don’t spin on their own unless you are going downhill. Just recall when you have to pedal when riding a bicycle. Same concept applies to EV’s.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

It may help to think about the energy flow for a vehicle. An ICE automobile has a motor with the primary focus of converting chemical energy (i.e. combustion of fuel) to kinetic energy (speed). Braking in a traditional ICE car is 100% wasted energy (converts kinetic energy to heat through friction i.e. braking). Regenerative braking lets you recover part of this wasted kinetic energy by generating and then storing electricity.

I think you are proposing generating and storing electricity all the time even when not braking. This would actually be more inefficient as ALL the energy used in the car will originate from the combustion of fuel. You would essentially be accelerating and braking at the same time. Maybe not quite that bad because you would recover some energy as electricity but its still counter-productive.

24. guy4321

guy4321 2,500+ Posts

"Everyone from the US agency devoted to studying weather, oceans, and the atmosphere—the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration—to the most highly regarded hurricane professionals predicted a season with above-normal to well above-normal activity."

They predict an above-normal to well above-normal hurricane season every year. That way they're never under to get yelled at for 'how'd you miss this monster hurricane year?' Only us dorks complain when they're overguess.

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

There have been 5 named tropical storms.
    Fiona is the latest.
    Not one hurricane.
    I don't care how the Climate people see it
    I think it is a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Vol Horn 4 Life

Except no tropical storms means we don't get rain in Central Texas. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind not having to cut grass, but all the stock tanks are drying up again.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Good point. So ONE tropical storm that comes ashore somewhere along Texas west gulf is ok.
    And welcome.
    In Dallas we rarely see effects as hurricanes ashore get caught up in gulf stream and go east especially if they hit Corpus or east,

28. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We have a west gulf in Texas?

• Funny Funny x 2
  29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SN
    You were trying to be funny, right?

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts