'I Feel Duped on Climate Change'

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Namewithheld, Feb 9, 2012.

1. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

upload_2022-11-3_9-24-36.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

When I saw this photo of her, I didn't make the Shapiro connection (though I can see it in the face), but she is starting to look like a guy. Is she plotting to come out as trans? Someone that woke and righteous can't remain just a straight, "cisgender" chick.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Even without the photoshopped darken hair and fuller eyebrows she does look like Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Seriously, if someone is pushing something as hard as the media does electric vehicles without anyone ever asking for it, you know it isn't in your best interest. It is to meet an agenda not serve customers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They push those underpowered pieces of **** over here. I'll never buy one. I'll have my auto mechanic neighbor overhaul the engine on my gas mower if it dies if they ever get banned. (They already cost a fortune over here.)

And they are the paper straws of outdoor equipment. They're nothing but a virtue signaling tool. My gas mower might burn 3 gallons of gas a year. Those crappy things have to be plugged in constantly or have a battery that has to be charged. Very hard to believe that's better for the environment.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If you have something running an old Briggs, parts will be available until around the time that cockroaches die out, and I don't mean the cockroaches described by the hags on The View.

I had a mower that conked out in the early aughts and found a $5 push mower that had a basic 3HP Briggs...that thing ran forever, no matter what I threw in front of it. I did have an instance where it started to stumble and it turned out to be a gasket...sourced locally but could also have just been traced and cut from cork board or felt.

• Like Like x 3
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  9. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Here is a debate that was held this past week on the UT campus about zero carbon planning.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Mine was bought through AAFES back in 2013, so though I bought it in Germany, it's a US model with a Briggs engine. It should be easy to get parts for it. I replaced the blade this year, and it still does a great job.

And I'm not anti-battery per se. My weed wacker is German and runs on a battery very well. However, it obviously has a much smaller motor and simply doesn't need anywhere near the power.

11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I have a battery powered blower that works well for my paver patio in my backyard, but that’s about it. I also have 2 batteries on standby while I am using a 3rd one.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

They're fine for small electric motors, but in a lawnmower? No chance in hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The problem is that, like the pricks blocking motorways in the UK, they won't get into real trouble. They'll get slaps on the wrist, and they'll be back to this crap in a few months or weeks. They need to make this sort of **** a major offense. They don't need a 30 year sentence for a first offense, but throw a few in the slammer for 5 years, and it'll end.

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Fire those jet engines up and let one or two get sucked in...the rest will learn a lesson about size mattering.

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  17. Facing Addiction

Facing Addiction 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

decent debate but Alex should have let the moderator enforce the time rules. He was not ready for the interjection style of debate. the prof kept doing one-liners that got Alex derailed a bit. Essentially both said we need an "all of the above" approach but the main disagreement was how big of a role and how much benefit there is to let the government push energy policy versus letting markets decide. If we put this on a scale of 0-10 with 10 being lunatic levels of hyperbole and "at all costs" thinking and zero being "active animosity" towards renewables, we should be at a 2-3. Unfortunately, Dem's are at a 9 and GOP is at a 1. Neither are approaching energy correctly. Like most things in life there is no one-size-fits-all answer. There likely are places where leapfrogging directly to solar & wind, etc. makes the most sense. there are others where that makes zero sense.

In no place does it make sense to take away fossil fuel supplies or intentionally hamper supply lines when the renewables have not already proven they can replace FF across the spectrum of considerations. Each of these having different weights depending on your need/application ;

-. Reliability of base load
    -. security of supply
    -. scalability
    -. cost
    -. green'ness

This is a race where being the tortoise is better than being the hare. The pump has been primed. Gov needs to get out of the way now and let the winners sort themselves out based on functionality rather than ideology.

19. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I think a 1 would be best on your scale. A 2 isn't bad either.

I also like your list of objectives. I would probably put cost as #2 though. Anything that is cost efficient will be more scalable and a greater chance of being secure because the market will produce more of it. It is how the US became the biggest exporter of oil and gas a few years ago. New technology reduced the cost of production in the US which in turn made us more secure.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

23. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Remind me again why Demx whined when Trump pulled us out of Paris Accords?

24. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I like John Stossel
    But his article confused me.

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Article was concerned with dispatching energy. To use energy when and where you need it, you have to deliver it. The article is basically talking about the supply chain issues with electricity from solar and wind farms vs fossil fuels. When new cars are limited because of a chip shortage, you drive your old car a little longer. When supply chain issues affect electricity, people die. Coal for example can be shipped in bulk by ships, rail, and truck. Then, it can be stored on-site in huge piles. Power from a wind farm has no such analogy in terms of supply chain.

• Like Like x 1
  27. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

28. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    Thanks
    The "expert" he quoted explained that improving lithium batteries and therefore evs can not exceed the limits of physics.
    But I am guessing he thinks improving the batteries as much as is possible means we need more evs on the road to reduce the demand for oil.

29. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Simple, to drive electric cars you need batteries. The info we’ve been provided on battery and battery sustainability is false. Go figure.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Physics says batteries will never compete against a huge pile of coal or a tanker of crude oil. This is important when you need energy 24/7. If you use power like you use your iPhone (off and on all day) then batteries are fine.

• Agree Agree x 3